Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subscribing to a site like boards.ie

Options
  • 09-11-2013 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

If I subscribe to a site like boards.ie today and next month the site shuts down, what happens? Are boards required to refund some or all of the subscription fee? Or have I just lost the fee I paid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

How much is a subscription and what does it entail?

As regards closing I don't think boards will close any time soon, I assume if you pay monthly by direct debit you should have the option of cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭McBauer

I just used boards as an example. But let's say it was 20EUR to subscribe to boards for one year and I made a once only payment...would boards be required to refund all subscription fees if the site closed down next month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

You would be an unsecured creditor and would be paid if there were a sufficient surplus after winding up process. You may have a claim for refund if you paid by credit card but if by debit card etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

It would depend if they closed down or went bust.

If they were simply shutting down the service then I'd go reading the terms & conditions you agreed to when signed up. But, yes, you would more than likely be entitled to a refund. So for example, if Boards started a premium service for users that gave them some kind of additional benefits and you signed up and paid for a year. 3 months into the year, the boards people decide to drop the service, then you would be entitled to a refund.

But, if boards went bust, then as Peter said, you'd join the queue with the other unsecured creditors and more than likely not get anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭McBauer

And would you be entitled to a full or partial refund if you got 3 months out of the subscription?

Also you mentioned about the terms and conditions. So if a company had stated there that there was no refunds if the site closed down would I still be entitled to make a claim?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

No!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I paid €50 last year for a season ticket to watch Premier League online, it was a site run from Russia and operating in a legal grey area. Anyway Sky Sports lawyers caught up with them after three months and they (surprisingly I'll admit) refunded the entire amount. The payment process was through Google Wallet so I suspect the reason was that Google were looking out for customers, if it had of been down to the site owners I'd say they'd have done a runner.

In short though it is all down to what's in the T&Cs when you sign up, each site will have different policies.

Advertisement