Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you like that nobody else does

• 09-11-2013 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I thought it be fun and interesting that people would name games they enjoyed but people seemed to dislike at the same time. A few games for me that come to mind are

Resident evil 5:
    resident-evil-5.jpg

I played through the campaign twice and the dlc with my cousin and sure it was not perfect with the annoyance of Sheva A.I but I still thought it was a solid game.

Fallout New Vegas:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSf55hZiGIwUejaMHt7t9nyjzBcAzTQCUUlLGXtaN-j_o8pXgJw

The game felt like an expansion pack towards alot of people I talked to but that is not necessarily always a bad thing. The addition of companions also made people feel the game was too easily but I thought it was a nice addition . Sure the game was still buggy mess but it did not stop me from putting over 50 hours into the game.

Paper Mario:Sticker Star/U]

PS_3DS_PaperMarioStickerStar_enGB.png

I thought this game was great fun but it seemed peoples opinions on the game were very mixed. I liked the humour,gameplay and presentation of the game. Sure the game left you abit in the dark at times to know where some of the stickers were that you really needed a faq but besides that I truly enjoyed it.

Hitman Absolution

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSMMX2TpE-TiLd-Y7H7nK-aUYgy2wp6ERg1hQcRNJbgpAmwGMj

This games really had split the fanbase down the middle and while I did not appreciate the linear gameplay or the more story driven at times the developers decided to take the game I still loved it. The new engine is just glorious and beautiful and the environments never felt so real. I thought it was great ana a perfect start to start a reboot for a new generation of people to get into.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Castlevania Adventure.

Far and away the worst of the castlevania games until Mirror of Fate came out. There's only 4 levels, it's unfairly tough, really slow and has terrible level design. I still manage to enjoy it although I can see why people hate it. The music is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Assassin's Creed III

468px-Assassins-Creed-3-logo1.jpeg

One of the best games of last year was Assassin's Creed III. I put about thirty hours into that game and enjoyed every bit of it. A lot of people complained about the first few hours of the game and that it was too slow. I enjoyed that part of the game. Playing through that opening was well rewarded by Hatham's revelation at the end. It might just be that people lack a little patience these days with games and need instant gratification. ACIII was a slow burn and there is nothing wrong with that.

The homestead missions and building up that community was a great addition. It had more depth than simply buying up buildings and land like in ACII. And lets not forget the naval combat was very good, which to be fair most people seemed to enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Melty Blood.

To my mind, the most fun fighting game made. It's pretty easy to pick up too (but ofc hard to truly master), has good character variety, isn't ever "slow" or unfair.

What killed it are: slightly too "Japanese", and being PC-only (for most releases).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Dwarf Fortress
    279557.jpg

Probably one of my favourite games of all time, I've tried convincing my friends to give it a go, but they didn't stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Dynasty Warriors in general. Sometimes it feels like just me and Jim Sterling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

TombRaider_HL_3.jpg
    Has to be this game. It took a different veering and was more of an RPG/RE type game than a regular TR but I loved it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,170 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

James Cameron's Avatar. Not sure how it was received but don't think I heard good things before I got it as a present. Tried it and liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I loved Hitman Absolution! Did most people not enjoy it? It was a bit linear yeah but the gunplay was fantastic. Looks really nice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, sure it wasnt exactly like the original two games but had the same concepts (wander round a region and gather up hundreds of notes and puzzle pieces) but building an insane car/helicopter hybrid with a crane to pick up a statue, have it fail and then tweak/scrap it and start gain a couple dozens times was fun. Pity the mission variety wasnt that great for the most part, some of the events in the colosseum level were great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Far and away the worst of the castlevania games until Mirror of Fate came out.

Mirror of fate would be on my list for this thread. Finished it 100% and really enjoyed it. Paper Mario Sticker Star was great too (as long as you had a Faq for the really obtuse puzzles).

Another would be X-Men Origins Wolverine... Got fairly average (to good) reviews and I loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,082 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Final Fantasy XIII: My favourite entry in the series with a great battle system and a decent story. Too linear and an over abundance of hand holding aren't enough to sour such a wonderful game.

Resident Evil 5: Yeah, it's not the most popular Resi but I had a lot of fun with it. I didn't find the partner AI that bad at all but this was a fun shooter once you removed any expectations of horror.

DmC - Devil May Cry: Finished this literally seconds ago. A lot better than I expected. Battle system needs a bit of ironing and platforming isn't great (I hate platforming anyway) but I had a surprising amount of fun with this. New Dante isn't that bad at all and it was nice to see a more down to earth take on the series. Also, killing Bill O'Reilly Bob Bardas was awesome.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Infinite Undiscovery: This got a lot of middling reviews. Now, I'm not going to say it's a 9/10 or a 10/10 game, and it has been years since I played it, but I thought it was a good game. I can imagine it has dated pretty badly. It wasn't great graphically. The best thing about the game was how the main character matured. It felt very well done.

The Saboteur: I had more fun with this one than I was expecting. It isn't top quality entertainment, but did have a good bit of fun with it.

LA Noire: This one got a lot of negative backlash. In some ways it was predictable. Certainly those people who went in expecting a Grand Theft Auto style game were never going to be happy. Personally, as soon as I knew there was a film noir based game in the works, I went looking for news on it a lot. Kept going to the Team Bondi site which looking back, probably got updated 3 or 4 times in 6 years. Lots of people weren't happy with the ending. It worked for me. Film noir often has a particular style of ending, and I felt it worked in the game. Would love to see more done with the franchise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Always really liked Clive Barkers Jericho ( every one else I know absolutely detest it), I though the squad based system was really different from anything else I had played and I though the story was fairly good as well. At the time ,when I originally got it, I was pissed off with how short it was and there being no multi-player. Went back playing it a few months ago and even though it can get a little bit samey, I think the squad system in it is still fairly unique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dead Island

It got a lot of backlash for not living up to the trailer and bugs but I loved it. Thoroughly enjoyed it all the way through. Actually might give it another go before ps4 is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Dead Island

It got a lot of backlash for not living up to the trailer and bugs but I loved it. Thoroughly enjoyed it all the way through. Actually might give it another go before ps4 is out.

I was enjoying it until I was near the end and my save game got corrupted :(

Might give it another go too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Anyone remember Driv3r for the PS2? Undoubtedly awful but I loved it! Never finished it either, that last mission was impossible. There something about the way the cities were designed, especially Miami, that I really liked for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

Alpha Protocol I loved that game but anyone i talked to about it hated it. Thought it was a great rpg that was different to everything else i had played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Alpha Protocol I loved that game but anyone i talked to about it hated it. Thought it was a great rpg that was different to everything else i had played

As an RPG it was excellent, shame the controls could be a little wonky.
    Very ggod game for replay value: had two very different endings when I played :-)

Another for the list is XCOM APOCALYPSE, fans of original XCOM deride this game as it had an optional realtime mode and it didn't have the same scale as the other games as you protect a city.

It is an excellent entry in the series, the real time mode works really well and I have never played a realtime squad based strategy to beat it. Fantastic game.

It's an excellent game, and didn't sell nearly as much as it deserved. I've only really seen positive things said about it online by people who've played it, and wishes for a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭dor83

Really liked Dead Island and Alpha Protocol myself. Another one for me is BulletWitch, it was by no means a good game but I enjoyed playing it.

Forgot about the Kane & Lynch Games, I really liked both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dwarf Fortress

Probably one of my favourite games of all time, I've tried convincing my friends to give it a go, but they didn't stick with it.

Is that a Nethack rip off? That was the game I was going to come in and mention. Absolutely love it. Hardest game of all time I reckon.

nethack.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

It was a game I always planned on getting and then completely forgot about. I love obsidians approach to RPG's. I prefer FO new fegas compared to FO3. I must see if I can pick this up for cheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Wheelman the game with Vin Diesel. Enjoyed it with jumping from car to car. Didn't do too well with the sales.
    Resident evil 6 I didn't think was too bad and the last Silent Hill game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

o1s1n wrote: »
    Is that a Nethack rip off? That was the game I was going to come in and mention. Absolutely love it. Hardest game of all time I reckon.

It's nothing like Nethack apart from the ASCII tile set.

It's more of a micro-management game like Theme Park/Hospital or
    the more recent and popular Prison Architect.

Nether of those examples could do it justice though,
    you'd just have to play it to get an idea of the scale and depth of it.

learning curve is an absolute bitch though and even when you know
    what you're doing you're almost bound to fail eventually.

check it out!

http://www.bay12games.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

27235319.jpg

Bloody loved this game. Some of the best graphics available on the original Xbox, story was written by the Wachowskis and tied in really brilliantly to the events of the trilogy. A different game all together to the woeful Enter The Matrix that had so much more publicity.

The combat system was very deep and incredible. Excellent boss fights, and the surprise ending was very cool. No-one I know liked this game :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Path of Neo was brilliant, never finished it as my disk got damaged but would love to play it again.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Currently Resident Evil 6 - I don't know why people are mentioning RE5 - Sure, it's reknowned to have earned a divided playerbase after RE4 but ultimately it was still a success that people still happily play today in big numbers.
    I wasn't a fan of RE5. Everything I read about ORC in the build up, everything I saw and read before and after was something I wasn't interested in. I tried the demo to Revelations and 6. Neither won me over. The series is essentially dead to me at the moment. If they come out with a game with a demo that makes me inclined to want to play more, I'll buy it, but I don't expect that to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Tales of the Abyss 3D, anyone I ever spoken to about it found it either too stupid or too strange, loved the music.

Also obligatory Legend of Dragoon post seems to belong here, too dark too confusing too weird, but I liked it god damn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

uberpixie wrote: »

Another for the list is XCOM APOCALYPSE, fans of original XCOM deride this game as it had an optional realtime mode and it didn't have the same scale as the other games as you protect a city.

It is an excellent entry in the series, the real time mode works really well and I have never played a realtime squad based strategy to beat it. Fantastic game.

Apocalypse is my favourite of the series, I don't know how anyone could dislike it! It might not have had a scale as a world but the diplomacy/raiding elements made it (in my opinion) a far more in-depth experience.

• Advertisement

Tales of the Abyss 3D, anyone I ever spoken to about it found it either too stupid or too strange, loved the music.
    I haven't gotten to play it yet. I bought it when it first came out, as I know if you wait it'll be a nightmare to find. I didn't have a 3DS at the time, only got a 2DS when that came out. Tales has made the move with me to 4 different places I've moved to in that time. Two of those places I can't go back, but I know I got everything from them. It's in one of the other two places. One in Limerick and one in Cork. No idea where it is. I've given a good look in both places, and have pretty much left it to a "I'll find it eventually" thing now.

Advertisement