Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VMWare image from Better spec laptop

Options
  • 09-11-2013 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

A friend has an image from a AlienWare laptop, multiple processors, 32Gb memory etc and wants to load in on a normal laptop, single i3 processor, 8 Gb memory.

Do you see any issues, I cannit forsee any myself, unless image is damaged, but would appreciate opinions from people with experience in this area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭JonDoe

I think it will scale itself down to the resources available on the host machine, there should be some options on the vmware player to limit the amount of ram, processing etc. that a Virtual Machine can use.
    Not sure it's been ages, I've always had little weedy VM's running on a beefy Host.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

are we talking about running a VM on a laptop or using an image to install on physical hardware?

there may be a processor architecture issue if you set it a a sysprep before you do it there may be easier to make the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

Thanks for the reply lads,

The image was already taken, and will not have the chance to reimage, so will have to work with original image.

Have no idea if they used SYSPREP ..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As said, the VM will/should adapt to the host cpu/ram etc

Advertisement