Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop cats from sitting up in the engine bay?

• 09-11-2013 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any tips on how to stop our two cats (kittens really as they are only 10 weeks old), from sitting up in the engine bay of our car.

They are left out after feeding in the morning and during the few last cold mornings over the past couple of weeks have decided that the engine is the warmest place to be.

We have taken to popping the hood and double checking the engine each time before we start the car to go somewhere and I have even sprayed them a few times with cold water from a plant squirt bottle to teach them not to be there, but it doesn't seem to be working as one day they returned four times to the engine.

Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭OU812

Put a dog in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Beep the horn twice before starting the car. If they are in there they wont be long about jumping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

We lost a kitty that way :(

Our cats we have now used to do it and as TheBoffin said we just beeped the horn a couple of times and they stopped doing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Deleted.... completely misread last post lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

TheBoffin wrote: »
    Beep the horn twice before starting the car. If they are in there they wont be long about jumping out.

Tried that, one will run out the other one sits there and couldnt care less.

And when i mean they sit in the engine bay, i mean they are right on top of the engine block just under the bonnet.

I don't mind popping the bonnet and checking each time, but if its lashing rain and you're also trying to get the kids into the car it can be a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Always remember a customers car coming in with a knocking noise in it.Opened the bonnet and there was bits of cat everywhere.Wrapped around the fan belt and everything.

Some job to try clean it out.

I usually do what others have suggested and that's beep the horn a few times before taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Other than popping the hood, the only way to be sure is to know where they are before you go out. Also 10 weeks is really too young to be outside, they are probably hiding in the engine because they're small and vulnerable.
    When they're older be careful with delivery vans too, mine love to climb in the back of visiting vans and trucks. I have to make sure they're inside before deliveries. Microchipping will at least give you a chance of getting one back if it ever does go for a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Make sure they have somewhere warm to hang out! I got one of those snugglesafe microwavable pet pads from amazon and put it in their bed in the shed.

Knocking or banging on the bonnet works too. I know it's annoying but accidently driving over your cat is 1 million times worse :(:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Always remember a customers car coming in with a knocking noise in it.Opened the bonnet and there was bits of cat everywhere.Wrapped around the fan belt and everything.

Some job to try clean it out.

I usually do what others have suggested and that's beep the horn a few times before taking off.

Early mornings? I'm glad I don't live next to you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Maybe there is a market for a collar device and smartphone app (if it doesn't exist already) that tells you the direction and distance to your pet. Then people could quickly check where the cats are, and make sure their dogs aren't off worrying sheep or whatever. However I haven't seen any TV ads about sheep worrying since the eighties so maybe today's sheep are less easily worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you don't want them in the engine, give them somewhere else warm and cozy - either a microwaveable heat pad or an electric one, wrapped in a blanket and placed in a box.

Make the box into a den - seal the lid, then cut a square from two of the sides so it has a small entrance and exit but it's like a cozy cave. Line cave appropriately with warm item. They'll stay in there instead of the engine block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Thanks for the tips and ideas... I will look into giving them an alternative warm place outside and see if that works.

I disagree with them being too young to be outside... They seem to love it. They chase each other around, lay in the sun together near the patio doors, ninja attack and do paw boxing to each other all while outside so its not like they are cowering under the bonnet for the whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Access wrote: »

I disagree with them being too young to be outside... They seem to love it. They chase each other around, lay in the sun together near the patio doors, ninja attack and do paw boxing to each other all while outside so its not like they are cowering under the bonnet for the whole day.

Vaccinations are generally at 9 and 12 weeks. Taking a risk to be outside before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Access wrote: »
    I disagree with them being too young to be outside... They seem to love it.

Doesn't make it safe - they have zero sense of danger and are so vulnerable. In the normal scheme of things kittens that age would still have a mother cat to protect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I witnessed a fox chase and catch a kitten on the back road of our estate two nights ago
    Broke my heart
    This is why all my kitties are indoor cats with limited garden access :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Oh god :(

Advertisement