Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cruel: Control a creature using a phone app

• 09-11-2013 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Cockroaches aren`t typically pets., but still, this seems a bit cruel:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24455141
    A US company that has developed an "electronic backpack" that fits onto a cockroach allowing its movements to be controlled by a mobile phone app has defended itself against cruelty claims.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Cockroaches are animals. And yes, that is very cruel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They are invertebrates. Invertebrates ability to experience pain is a subject under much debate. They definitely don't experience pain the same way mammals do. Still though the idea of this does make me a bit uneasy.

They say it's to get kids interested in neuroscience, and it will probably work, but in my opinion it would be getting them interested for the wrong reasons. Not how id go about it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

It's beyond sick as far as I'm concerned. Yes invertebrates ability to feel pain is being studied, but this goes so far beyond that. It's horrendously invasive and even if the cockroach doesn't feel physical pain the mental pain must be dreadful.
    To say that it was developed to make kids more interested in neuro science is a pathetic and dangerous excuse for developing this kind of devise. It ignores the fact that cockroaches are living breathing creatures, and not part of a build your own robot kit. :mad: What's next? Robo-mice kits???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

This kit is sick , you need to puncture a hole in the thorax and cut off their antennae for it to work.

Whoever decided to bring this to market has questionable ethics if not motives to say the least. I would like to see this kit banned its the kind of science which is just about tolerable in a lab in the pursuit of a greater good, not out in the open for no obvious purpose or benefit.

Advertisement