Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairy Light wiring

Options
  • 09-11-2013 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,

I am wondering is it possible to wire up 9 sets of fairy lights to the one plug?
    With the old lights we just wired up the different sets to the one plug and it kept things nice and neat but now all the sets have transformers?

Is their any way around this problem?
    Thanks,
    Pete

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭just pete

Thanks, but I need to have it neat as possible and any connections to mains hidden.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭Old School Husqy

You could put the multi way into an approved enclosure, 9 sets of lights is alot, i would reduce down the sets of lights you have by buying longer sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

just pete wrote: »
    Hi,

I am wondering is it possible to wire up 9 sets of fairy lights to the one plug?
    With the old lights we just wired up the different sets to the one plug and it kept things nice and neat but now all the sets have transformers?

Is their any way around this problem?
    Thanks,
    Pete

9 Sets of fairy lights in 1 plug is a big no no.

Why not just tidy up the cables? have them plugged in somewhere hidden?

Depends on the overall load, the transformer and supply capacity. As long as you don't exceed the transformer max amperage with lights and you don't exceed the supply max amperage with the transformer you'll be fine. Perhaps you need to purchase a separate larger more appropriate traffo.
    Check transformer DC rating for max lights, and AC rating for min supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

He said each set has its own traffo, so the traffos will be rated okay assuming the light sets haven't been altered.
    Either way, you'll never fit 9 cables into a plug top, nor would it be advisable if you could. If there's 9 traffos hanging around the place, I can't see what harm a multi lead will be. The overall wattage will need to be watched.

I'm suggesting cutting off the included traffos and paying correct attention to polarity wire the lights into a single more capable traffo.
    DC wattage is not as significant as AC in this case, it'd be very difficult to overload the supply circuit.
    If the OP can post a photo of the original wall wart traffo. rating tags I can post a link of something suitable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Nowadays people tend to use LED lighting for this type of application.
    The advantages are as follows:
    • Cheap to buy
    • Cheap to run
    • Reliable
    • Safe (they generally operate at about 12V)
    • Cold to touch
    • In general they are fed from an LED driver which is lighter than a transformer and runs cold
    • Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
    • Available in a range of colours
    • A very large number can be fed from a single plug!

Keep it simple :)

PUeUjOgP1WC3uQnOJDHrdlaihmMpoToj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I'm suggesting cutting off the included traffos and paying correct attention to polarity wire the lights into a single more capable traffo.
    DC wattage is not as significant as AC in this case, it'd be very difficult to overload the supply circuit.
    If the OP can post a photo of the original wall wart traffo. rating tags I can post a link of something suitable.

This is a really bad idea!

You've no idea if the sets are identical and should be driven by the same voltage or current.

Just use plug bars, some of the led sets are quite long, so 4 sets could be hundreds of LEDs.

Well without any actual ratings to work from I would expect them to be of similar stock as it appears it's for an installation. I have no intention of recommending a solution which is impractical or dangerous. Which is why I requested more details. Is it not obvious to use compatible power supplies for devices. I have not actually advised anything that's a really bad idea as there's no details of what the circuit specifically compromises of. In a theoretical example a 200watt 12volt traffo can power 9 sets of 20watt 12volt lights on common outputs, taking less than one amp on the AC side. It's a neat solution coming from one source.

It's just a suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Advising someone who doesn't know fully what they are doing to start cutting things up and connect them to a different power supply, is really only going to end one way.

Some of the led power supplies are constant current sources not voltage sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

recipe for disaster .. chopping off power supplies and rewiring

Granted.

It is an option however. I believe in the merits of keeping it simple.
    I like to understand there are other solutions all the same, and an appropriate amount of research is best when straying from the conventional path.
    The cost of a traffo of that size is comparitively prohibitive. But these are all considerations to be made with their own merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

But these are all considerations to be made with their own merits.
    The primary consideration should be safety. Amperage is not the only requirement to be met in the case above as suggested in post #6.

Connecting 18 cables to the output of a single transformer in a domestic situation is not something that someone should be advised to do, even if all power requirements are met.

warranty gone straight way on all the fairy lights

danger of fire and electrocution if the diy person gets it wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yes, a display more suitable for Oct 31st might be forthcoming.

I agree common sense is a prerequisite of electrical work.

Here is a 200watt 12volt transformer for 12volt led lighting with three separate common +ives and -ves

s-201-power-supply-12v-ac-dc.jpg

Here is a crimp/solder terminal to combine three single cores as a single.
    12696d1235502403-comprehensive-guide-splicing-speaker-wire-crimp-terminal-1.jpg

Fuses not indicated..

If you don't think you can undertake a task safely then don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭just pete

Thanks all,

I found some ''proper connections'' that allow the connections of sets!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Glad to hear it :)

Case closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Advising someone who doesn't know fully what they are doing to start cutting things up and connect them to a different power supply, is really only going to end one way.

Some of the led power supplies are constant current sources not voltage sources.
    I agree here, I understand where the advice is coming from but I would not recommend cutting anything up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement