Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All homes bought in 2013 are exempt from Property Tax till 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Ogham wrote: »
    Because of a missed error in the legislation - all homes (lived in by the owner) that were bought anytime in 2013 are exempt from the LPT for 2013/2014/2015/2016.
    (Notjust firsttime buyers as was the original intention.

More detail here .. http://www.moneyguideireland.com/all-homes-bought-during-2013-are-exempt-from-property-tax-until-2017.html

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: The irish government, CANT DO FCUK ALL RIGHHT! Simple fcukers

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Only for the moment. They can easily change it in the Finance Act, reducing the exemption to 2013 only.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

That's just made my evening!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Victor wrote: »
    Only for the moment. They can easily change it in the Finance Act, reducing the exemption to 2013 only.

They have known about this "error" since at least July - so they could have amended it if they wanted too. They probably won't bother correcting it now - it only means around 6000 people getting the exemption that wouldn't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Victor wrote: »

Not sure about that. Someone could legally challenge it saying they bought a house based on the legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 SherrySherry

Hi, I'm currently in the process of buying a house. There has been a delay due to a planning permission issue and the earliest it will be resolved is Jan 2014. Does this mean I will have to pay property tax in 2015
    And 2016? I know I don't need to pay for 2014 as the cut off date was Nov 1st. On all of the documentation it says the first time buyers exemption applies if you buy before 31st Dec. this seems unfair to those who buy in 2014. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    many thanks.

Hi, I'm currently in the process of buying a house. There has been a delay due to a planning permission issue and the earliest it will be resolved is Jan 2014. Does this mean I will have to pay property tax in 2015
    And 2016? I know I don't need to pay for 2014 as the cut off date was Nov 1st. On all of the documentation it says the first time buyers exemption applies if you buy before 31st Dec. this seems unfair to those who buy in 2014. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    many thanks.

Yes you will be liable in 2015 and 2016.
    They had to have a cut off point - and Dec 31st seemed a good one I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SherrySherry

Yes you will be liable in 2015 and 2016.
    They had to have a cut off point - and Dec 31st seemed a good one I suppose.

Thanks for the clarification. This is a shame as we didn't know about the PP issue when we paid the deposit back in August! We were supposed to move in during October :(

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

What penalties are there with not paying the tax. I havent paid mine or even the household charge. I was suppose to pay 150euro this year and x amount last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GoldieLocks99

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Not sure about that. Someone could legally challenge it saying they bought a house based on the legislation.

They wouldnt get far.

• Advertisement

newbie2013 wrote: »
    What penalties are there with not paying the tax. I havent paid mine or even the household charge. I was suppose to pay 150euro this year and x amount last year.

See Here http://www.moneyguideireland.com/property-tax-penalties.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

many thanks.

It will depend on your status and the exact wording of the amended legislation. If you are a FTB then I would assume you will still be exempt, the issue may be who exactly is a FTB - for example couples where one member had never previously owned a property and one had, couples who had purchased previously, sold without exhausting their 7 years FTB relief, persons who had owned properties in other countries etc etc

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    It will depend on your status and the exact wording of the amended legislation. If you are a FTB then I would assume you will still be exempt, the issue may be who exactly is a FTB - for example couples where one member had never previously owned a property and one had, couples who had purchased previously, sold without exhausting their 7 years FTB relief, persons who had owned properties in other countries etc etc

Only buyers who purchase in 2013 are exempt. Not all FTB's will not be exempt if they buy in 2014 - but buyers of new homes will be !
    "New and unused properties purchased from a builder or developer between 1 January 2013 and 31 October 2016 are exempt until the end of 2016"
    see http://www.moneyguideireland.com/local-property-tax-exemptions.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Awesome! Now, how to cancel that payment..

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

pwurple wrote: »
    Awesome! Now, how to cancel that payment..

I think they refund you if you paid when you shouldn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think they refund you if you paid when you shouldn't

And they don't..... 1 hour on phone trying to persuade the numpty that even though I am NOT a first time buyer, that I am still eligible for this. Even referred them to their own document on it.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/properties-purchased-in-2013.html

But... no, this particular phone-jockey was sure I was not eligible and refused to refund me. I'll have to write instead I'd sya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭horse7

so a FTB buying in 2014 has no exemption for LPT .

horse7 wrote: »
    so a FTB buying in 2014 has no exemption for LPT .

As I mentioned earlier
    No specific exemption for FTBs buying after 2013 - but ... "New and unused properties purchased from a builder or developer between 1 January 2013 and 31 October 2016 are exempt until the end of 2016"

see http://www.moneyguideireland.com/local-property-tax-exemptions.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Just to point out , if you buy a house post 1st of November 2013, the owner on the 1st of November is liable for the tax in 2014 (unfair i know). So you the buyer will not have to pay for 2014.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Just to point out , if you buy a house post 1st of November 2013, the owner on the 1st of November is liable for the tax in 2014 (unfair i know). So you the buyer will not have to pay for 2014.

That's what the first post was pointing out.!
    All buyers of homes during 2013 are exempt for 2013 + 2104 + 2015 + 2016

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

That's what the first post was pointing out.!
    All buyers of homes during 2013 are exempt for 2013 + 2104 + 2015 + 2016

Maybe my point wasn't clear, what I meant was if you buy the house on the 1st of Jan 2014, the previous owner is still liable for the 2014 tax. Basically whatever happens you still dont have to pay 2014 prop tax.

Advertisement