Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have to move out

Options
  • 09-11-2013 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

My apartment is being fixed due to bad pipes, this is the second time it's happened but first I didn't have to move out. I have a property management company who know I will have no bathroom or running water in the apartment. If I choose to stay in a hotel do the property management company have to pay for it, or do they have to find me somewhere suitable to live while the work is being carried out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Do you have a fixed term lease? If not, then you can be asked to leave altogether if the work being carried out is significant enough to render the property uninhabitable. I believe however that they must offer you first refusal again once it comes back on the market.

If you are covered by a fixed term lease then I believe they must offer you something towards alternative accomodation. I dont know the specifics however, so it might be worth contacting Theshold for advice on where you stand with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭outnumbered82

I own the apartment and i have a property management company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

No, you are the property management company, all the owners are. You hire a property management agent.

Who is paying for repairs? Insurance? You need to engage with the property management agent to see if insurance covers this. Alternatively, if its just being paid for out of the sinking fund, you would probably need agreement of the other members of the management company, ie, the other owners, to also cover your expenses for a hotel or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Funny thinking that management would pay for your hotel stay and its your own apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭outnumbered82

Funny that they fixed the problem a few years back made it worse, now 2 apartments have to move out. Are block policy is paying for it

The whole thing is a mess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If the block policy is paying for it then see if the block policy covers alternative accomodation. A normal house insurance policy would afaik.

Advertisement