Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

so buying a used bike.

• 09-11-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Just finished looking at a used bike. Just a couple questions about a few noticeable things.

He says he dropped at low speed and the Small fairing crack was repaired and no engine masks i noticed.

Also, the steering does reach the fuel tank on the left, how significant is this? It doesn't reach the tank on the right.

He also hardened the rear suspension intentionally, is that a warning flag?

The bike is a 99 fazer for under 1700, 25k miles and was bought from the north bus has an Irish reg.

Are there issues worth accepting for a bike in this price range?

Sorry for the bad spelling, using a mobile.

The bike seems in good Nick otherwise, chain and oil are good conditions, no odd noises, brakes work, tires need replacing however.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

The handle bar is aftermarket, so that could explain the way it hits tank.

After market exhaust too, although theres no damage on the right side to warrent replacing a original so it was probably a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I bought a 02 Fazer with less mileage in as near mint condition for a 10 year old bike with 20k miles can get earlier in the year for not an awful lot more than that.

Take a look at a few before you commit to one, especially with damage that concerns you.

http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/fazer-600-for-sale-or-swap/5904595

http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-fazer-600/5801542

The 02-03 model is also called the foxeye - it has better lights and a bigger fuel tank. (The top link here is a foxeye, the bottom one is not even though it is an 02)

I'm a foxeye fazer owner since march, if you've any questions i'll try help you out. My advice on the one in your post is to avoid it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

As Vikings advised.
    That bike is way overpriced and a money pit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

As Vikings advised.
    That bike is way overpriced and a money pit.

This, this 1000 times this. Love my fazer, but the whore of a bike costs me a lot.

Also, 1700 for a 99? I paid 1250 for a 98 and I feel robbed now. You shouldn't pay over 1300 for that year certainly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

@mini - sup with your bus? shame cos it looked clean.

800e for a 00 naked fzs myself. Owed me nothing in the ned. Treated it like a 800e bike too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

kaimera wrote: »
    @mini - sup with your bus? shame cos it looked clean.

Just general maintenance things for me costing a fair bit :v Need new tyres and completely re-doing the brakes this week. Still no speedo and gonna get some new bulbs, along with other smaller things. To fix the speedo along would cost an unknown amount cos I still dunno what's wrong :pac:

I'd always advise someone buy one, just not for 1700 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

Stay away from stuff that's giving you a bad feeling, especially if your gonna trust your life to this machine.
    Here is video with some more tips for second hand buying http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tExM88-pF-U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

cant advise on price, but handlebars hitting the tank would have me worried tbh - I'd prob walk unless I was 110% it was just a bent handlebar

Advertisement