Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The rave thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Tipp are hardly a powerhouse in football.
    I reckon the players who play on the teams who reach the quarter finals and beyond will have a hell a lot more overall fitness than most runners ever reach.
    (I emphasize overall fitness).

You can't compare inter-county players with mid-packers. inter-county players are somewhere within the top 1% in the sport. Compare them to the top 1% of runners in the country of any age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Rave: The power to ban people as a Moderator :):)

Rant: Been beaten to it by another mod. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Billy Mills

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Rave: The power to ban people as a Moderator :):)

Rant: Been beaten to it by another mod. :(

Rave: The fact that a GAA mod can't ban me in here! Also - I reckon I underestimated the guy's weight. I'v got him at 375 actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Rave: The fact that a GAA mod can't ban me in here! Also - I reckon I underestimated the guy's weight. I'v got him at 375 actually

I'll see can I dig out a programme for you - am sure it will be in that. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

rom wrote: »
    You can't compare inter-county players with mid-packers. inter-county players are somewhere within the top 1% in the sport. Compare them to the top 1% of runners in the country of any age.
    Yep, and you'll find a top inter-county players at the top have a much better overall fitness than any runner on the planet. I emphasized overall fitness.
    David Gillick has admitted he found his recent club matches very tough.
    You'll find many other sports demand much better overall fitness than running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Rave: The 300 lb lard ass playing goalie for Tipp in the GAA game on Sky tells you all you need to know about the quality of the "athletes" playing this pointless exercise in 19th century nationalism and parish pump tribalism

What a ridiculous generalisation. That post is dumb even for you

Yep, and you'll find a top inter-county players at the top have a much better overall fitness than any runner on the planet. I emphasized overall fitness.
    David Gillick has admitted he found his recent club matches very tough.
    You'll find many other sports demand much better overall fitness than running.

*cough*
    bollix
    *cough*

Tell me one GAA player that trains 20 hrs a week?

Gavlor wrote: »

Waaaaaaaaa someone insulted my makey uppy sport I'm taking my toys and going home :)

Go take a Nash free up ur hole

Gavlor wrote: »

You have a thing for that Tipp goalie, Gav?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You have a thing for that Tipp goalie, Gav?

:D

He reminds of a lard arse loud mouth yank ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Rave: The 300 lb lard ass playing goalie for Tipp in the GAA game on Sky tells you all you need to know about the quality of the "athletes" playing this pointless exercise in 19th century nationalism and parish pump tribalism

Ah yes, but for ice hockey goalies its the padding.....so much padding. :rolleyes:

P.S. At the peak of my marathon fitness, I went back playing a bit of Junior 'E' hurling in Dublin. For the uninitiated, this is the 7th division of an amateur sport. I was out on my feet after 5 minutes.

So yes, intercounty hurlers/footballers are extremely fit and most definitely yes, they are extremely skillfull.

Billy, normally I wouldn't take the bait but you can't be going round belittling my native county (or the people therein). Stick on the box at 4 today to see what real sport is all about :cool:.

rom wrote: »
    *cough*
    bollix
    *cough*

Tell me one GAA player that trains 20 hrs a week?
    OVERALL fitness. How many times do I have to emphasis that?
    E.g. An ultra may run many miles during a week but will have poor upper body strength.
    A top inter-county footballer or hurler needs both upper-body and cardio fitness, same as rugby and soccer players. Long distance swimmers also come to mind.
    I reckon the fittest sports people are cross-country skiers, its certainly the sport that burns most calories.
    Runners may have high cardio fitness but will fall down on other aspects unless they train for unrelated to running.

Jebus, a white man's going to win a marathon.

Jebus, a white man's going to win a marathon.

Awww, he looked so happy too. The smile across his face when he realised he was going to win was brilliant. He was so full of adrenaline. I'd say he would have run another one if you asked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

OVERALL fitness. How many times do I have to emphasis that?
    E.g. An ultra may run many miles during a week but will have poor upper body strength.
    A top inter-county footballer or hurler needs both upper-body and cardio fitness, same as rugby and soccer players. Long distance swimmers also come to mind.
    I reckon the fittest sports people are cross-country skiers, its certainly the sport that burns most calories.
    Runners may have high cardio fitness but will fall down on other aspects unless they train for unrelated to running.

Why do you assume ultra runners have poor upper body strength? Top inter county players have sufficient fitness for the sport they play and fitness is only one component in a sport where skill and aptitude for the game is the number 1 attribute. Ive trained with top inter county players and they have good fitness in relation to the general population but nothing exceptional in comparison to other athletes in simular sports. The shouting done about their fitness levels and the HUGE effort they put in is a bit hard to listen to but to be fair they are the best footballers and hurlers in the world(of course in hurling especialy the world consists of 2/3 of munster and half of leinster)

Back to rave thread....

2 1/2 year old watched* full commonwealth marathons and then when it was over she said "I want more running" a few times. :)

*while playing with lego

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Why do you assume ultra runners have poor upper body strength? Top inter county players have sufficient fitness for the sport they play and fitness is only one component in a sport where skill and aptitude for the game is the number 1 attribute. Ive trained with top inter county players and they have good fitness in relation to the general population but nothing exceptional in comparison to other athletes in simular sports. The shouting done about their fitness levels and the HUGE effort they put in is a bit hard to listen to but to be fair they are the best footballers and hurlers in the world(of course in hurling especialy the world consists of 2/3 of munster and half of leinster)

....and one from Connacht ;). Plus its more like 5/6ths of Munster and much less than half of Leinster. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

....and one from Connacht ;). Plus its more like 5/6ths of Munster and much less than half of Leinster. :)

Thanks Kiely.Fractions were never my strong point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Mullingar 10, how a race should be run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

tang1 wrote: »
    Mullingar 10, how a race should be run hosted.

Fixed your post Tang as my race was evidence enough of how it should not be run!:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Running 5 trail 10kms in 24 hours in practically the same time each leg (ignoring the night time leg when wearing a head torch), despite having virtually no real rest between each one. Furthest I've ever run in one day and other than being a bit sleep deprived, am feeling great. :D:D

Blatant, I'm awesome post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

- Randomly winning a swimsuit in a Twitter competition

- After weeks of warm weather it doesn't look like it's going to get hotter than around 22-23c for my race on Sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The Daily Express was never known for a high standard of journalism :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Finally free of my laptop for uploading from watch to Garmin Connect! I can now upload directly via a wallet-sized cable from my 310xt to my smartphone and then to the web :cool:

No more Garmin Express or waiting for my browser to respond.

Instructions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The new watches (e.g. 220) are bluetooth though, so no cables required at all for uploading to GC via smartphone. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Pity doesn't work with iOS,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Oh How things have changed since December

Rave: Running in the rain this evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement