Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The rave thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Congrats; I'm half way through 8 weeks off due to injury; I'm in work, Ireland lost the rugby and I just fell for troll bait. I could use some good news...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

cjt156 wrote: »
    Rave; Back to back 6 Nations Champions, World Cup Quarter Finalists.

Rave; Real Irish men putting their hearts and souls and bodies on the line, week in - week out.

Rave; Following Irish Rugby through victory and defeat since the days of Ciaran "where's your f*cking pride" FitzGerald; if that makes me a band wagoner I'll accept your superior knowledge.

Rant; taking pleasure in your (all island) country's defeat because you deem the players and fans to be 'private school boys'.

Excellent post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

cjt156 wrote: »
    Rave; Back to back 6 Nations Champions, World Cup Quarter Finalists.

Rave; Real Irish men putting their hearts and souls and bodies on the line, week in - week out.

Rave; Following Irish Rugby through victory and defeat since the days of Ciaran "where's your f*cking pride" FitzGerald; if that makes me a band wagoner I'll accept your superior knowledge.

Rant; taking pleasure in your (all island) country's defeat because you deem the players and fans to be 'private school boys'.

The World Cup is the proper test of international Rugby teams. It is a test that Ireland have consistently failed. In 8 World Cups we have never broken trough the round of 8 meaning we have never won a knock out game. There are, at a stretch ,10 serious nations and we rank after this tournament probably 7th. To put it in simple terms, despite the hype, our rugby team is roughly the same standard as our soccer team except rugby has an all ireland /island pick and a very loud media propaganda machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Ah lads will ye take it easy! I'm a hurling man. Never played rugby, never been to a game but I've been proud of a group of players who have put their bodies on the line time and time again. I really couldn't give a sh1t where they come from or where they went to school. What have I got in common with Rory Best or he with me but I was proud to have him and his likes represent me today and I thought he was immense. I'd be happy to go about my day to day business with the same level of integrity and application as he showed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Rave: I'm late to the game but setting up strava segments. Have a few routes I run regularly and only started using strava last week. Set up a few segments and it's really interesting to see other runners who have run along the same routes as myself etc.

Rant: The gits who cycle these segments but log them as "runs". Well either that or there is a lady in Tallaght who can run 3.30 mile pace for 1.6 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Anudder rave for Strava here too. Only recently joined.
    So many leaderboards!!!! Love it! You can always be a winner on some leader board or other:)
    And it's so encouraging in a very American sense. It's all full of positivity (not like this place;)). You get regular emails saying 'good job' and 'you're kind of a big deal' and it makes you feel all fuzzy inside.:rolleyes:
    Not to mention the daily pb 'cups' (achievements). Yay!!! Go me! I'm awesome!!!

Ososlo wrote: »
    So many leaderboards!!!! Love it! You can always be a winner on some leader board or other:)
    And it's so encouraging in a very American sense. It's all full of positivity (not like this place;)). You get regular emails saying 'good job' and 'you're kind of a big deal' and it makes you feel all fuzzy inside.:rolleyes:

I wonder if you sign up for the premium package do they mail you out medals etc :pac:

I wonder if you sign up for the premium package do they mail you out medals etc :pac:

hhmmm tempted to click on it and find out but fear I might get sucked in...

let me know what happens if you decide to go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Rave: I'm late to the game but setting up strava segments. Have a few routes I run regularly and only started using strava last week. Set up a few segments and it's really interesting to see other runners who have run along the same routes as myself etc.

Rant: The gits who cycle these segments but log them as "runs". Well either that or there is a lady in Tallaght who can run 3.30 mile pace for 1.6 miles.

You get that with cycling segments too, people going up 7-10% inclines for 2 mile at 20mph, unless they're Lance Pharmstrong then they must be in a car or motorbike.

pconn062 wrote: »
    You get that with cycling segments too, people going up 7-10% inclines for 2 mile at 20mph, unless they're Lance Pharmstrong then they must be in a car or motorbike.

There is a actually a running segment near to the phoenix park and someone I know is desperate to claim the record time. If he manages it, I'm heading there in the car the following day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

This is my favourite Strava segment. Shortly after I ran it, they built a library and a gym on the ground it uses to occupy. It's mine... All mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Ososlo wrote: »

you do? I clearly need to work harder so!!!! :(

Firedance wrote: »

oh sorry Firedance. I must be extra special :)
    Maybe I'm on the premium package after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Obsessed with Strava here too.

Running in a new place has me fizzy with excitement :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There is a actually a running segment near to the phoenix park and someone I know is desperate to claim the record time. If he manages it, I'm heading there in the car the following day :)

You can manually edit a GPS file if you are that bothered!

A lot of times people run or cycle with Iphones rather than garmins and the signal drops and they get crazy quick times for a few miles. Annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Maybe check your email - it's all computer generated once someone gives you 'kudos' :) A kind of utopia where we're all doing a good job without that annoying dissenting human input ;)

Joking aside though, it's a great way to log activity without the need for narrative. All of mine are manual though - might just persuade me to go the gps route

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Gomall

Rave - first run today after 5.5months out with a torn tendon- feels great to be back ðŸ‘ðŸ»

kit3 wrote: »
    Maybe check your email - it's all computer generated once someone gives you 'kudos' :) A kind of utopia where we're all doing a good job without that annoying dissenting human input ;)

Ah kudos emails, yeah I get those :) I thought there were other 'you're amazing' emails I was missing out on :D phew!!

Rave: Kudos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

The groups feature on Strava is another plus, you get to see who's running in your club, or area.

I have noticed though that people who import runs from other apps like run keeper sometimes get averaged splits in strava giving them unbelievable times on climbs etc, a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Runners using a cycling app to record their times.

Vive la revolution!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Gavlor wrote: »
    Runners using a cycling app to record their times.

Vive la revolution!

It's about time there were a few athletes using it, can't let the Freds have all the fun! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

pconn062 wrote: »
    It's about time there were a few athletes using it, can't let the Freds have all the fun! ;)

:D "athletes" it's akin to the word "legend" in that it gets thrown around an awful lot. I just walked into town, I'm now an athlete!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

aquinn wrote: »

you can hide your exact start & finish areas so people can't see which house you leave from :) I hope everyone knows this!

aquinn wrote: »

Interesting - think you can set a privacy exclusion around your house which would make sense otherwise a major opportunity for thieves.

Can see how it could be your own personal RSP page but only if you take the cheesy bits on board ;)

you can hide your exact start & finish areas so people can't see which house you leave from :) I hope everyone knows this!

Snap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Gomall

kit3 wrote: »
    Interesting - think you can set a privacy exclusion around your house which would make sense otherwise a major opportunity for thieves.

Can see how it could be your own personal RSP page but only if you take the cheesy bits on board ;)

Can you ban yourself from your own page - now there's an idea - no humour only serious posts allowed on Strava

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

You couldn't keep that to yourself could you. It's a stalkers paradise that strava. I was getting some great info on yis all.
    :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭gucci

Gavlor wrote: »
    :D "athletes" it's akin to the word "legend" in that it gets thrown around an awful lot. I just walked into town, I'm now an athlete!!

40f675067a3d881bd8fc4b216413d77e6452e53eee7bc34a972bc0ed9ca6f1e2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

The snap of a mouse trap. I just hope he died quickly and isn't going to chew his way out like the last guy and die in the middle of my kitchen floor, I didn't like that.
    Ugh to disposal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement