Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The rave thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Very lucky to have been a member of two great clubs now, surrounded by better runners and brilliant coaches who have 'been there, done that'.

I thought you were a member of Clonliffe :confused::P

What club have you joined?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

I thought you were a member of Clonliffe :confused::P

What club have you joined?

The only Metric Track Miler Club in Dublin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Wow. Just wow. Thanks for posting that HR. The running world is just amazing, I love it. How did I ever run away from it??!! I was chatting to my clubmate this evening as we jogged around Bray about how great our club is, how in many ways it is like an extended family.

Here's the full text of HibernianRunner's link:

"I don't know where else to put this, but I kind of need an outlet, so I hope this is okay.
    Running is saving my life.
    I am a thirty-five-year-old woman with PTSD, Major Depression, OCD and a ****ty, abusive family. I'm a rape and domestic violence survivor. I cannot remember a time in my life after turning fifteen when I wasn't suicidal--until I started running this past August.
    All of the sudden, being alive doesn't just feel doable. Sometimes it even feels good.
    Every problem I have--things I used to become obsessive about with charts and research and other compulsive behaviors to the point of not being functional--it ALL seems solvable now.
    Dog needs major orthopedic surgery this week at a cost I definitely can't afford? It's okay, I can figure out a payment plan. Lonely and depressed on the weekend after dealing with my ****ty family? It's okay, I can get through it somehow. Sick at work with five thousand things to do? I can make it to the end of the day, I know it.
    I was hospitalized four years ago because I was totally convinced that I would not be able to keep working, take care of myself, or just generally make it through life much longer. I had a detailed suicide plan. The thought of spending even one more day in pain seemed unbearable.
    Now I tell myself, "It's going to hurt for the first mile or so, but then it will get better. And after the second mile, your legs will pick up speed. And by the third mile, you'll be flying. And when it's all over and you've conquered this, YOU WILL FEEL GREAT." And somehow that philosophy has invaded my whole way of thinking and helped me to see that tolerating chronic depression and anxiety and pain and loneliness does not mean I am a failure. It means I am resilient. And the more I push myself, the stronger I will get and the better I will feel.
    I lost weight and developed muscles. My breathing issues (I'd often have horrible shortness-of-breath) have completely gone away. My insomnia and sleep problems are better. I don't have GI issues anymore, ever. I can get ten times more done than I used to because I can focus now rather than feeling trapped in my head all day.
    My body is mine again. It used to feel like a horrible, foreign cage for my brain. A shell that other people abused, molested, manipulated, criticized. I just kind of "hid" up here in my skull for two decades and tried to pretend I was somewhere else.
    But these are my feet hitting the pavement. These are my lungs pumping air in and out in a rhythm I've practiced for months. My arms wrapped up in the wind as it blows by me. My eyes watching the sunset as I race up a hill. My muscles carrying me home.
    I am making friends. Runners are an amazingly nice bunch of people. The guy who fit me for my shoes spent an hour chit-chatting with me, encouraging me not to criticize myself, and complimenting my form. I had only been running two weeks at that point.
    People cheer me on. Some have actually told me that I am inspiring them--something I still have a hard time believing. Everyone seems to want me to succeed and I rarely feel alone anymore, even when I'm all by myself.
    I feel like I belong again. I am a Runner. A Good Friend. A Valued Colleague. A Great Dog-Mom. A Worthwhile Human Being.
    Maybe I still have PTSD and Depression and OCD. And an unsupportive family and years of abuse behind me. But all I can think about now is how I want to keep going.
    Is there anyone else out there who has gone through something similar? I would love to hear how things are going for you."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

That's wonderful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

As posted on the Irish Runner facebook page - The big Mazungo:

Just a little un-nerving to see the Alberto Salazar interviews. Please be an outlier Mazuno, please be an outlier..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Started life yesterday with a new club. Very lucky to have been a member of two great clubs now, surrounded by better runners and brilliant coaches who have 'been there, done that'.

Cannot recommend signing up to a club enough!

Part of me really misses being part of a club, the other part loves the freedom of getting my session out of the way at 7am on a Tuesday morning if I need to because being coached I know what I need to do.

Rave: Got over 40 miles in last week...been maintaining on 30ish mile weeks since Austria and got sent the first week back training at the start of the week to do when I'm ready (timewise) to commit. Rave2: I'll soon be ready to start running properly again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Just a little un-nerving to see the Alberto Salazar interviews. Please be an outlier Mazuno, please be an outlier..

"He crossed the line, he couldn't even blow a candle out" :D

Some great stuff in there "all the 1%'s" reminds me, sleep is one of my 1%'s.... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Was only looking him up the other day after I seen a picture of him pacing a female athlete in a marathon alongside Josh Harris. One of my all time favourite athletes and his PBs are absolute world class.

Interested to see mo farah finish second behind him in the Central Park 10k and also to see vinny mulvey got a nod too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

I could watch this all day. The athleticism is just incredible, absolute poetry in motion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I could watch this all day. The athleticism is just incredible, absolute poetry in motion.

I always find that event hard to watch. The stresses on the legs/ankles.......:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I thought you loved things that cause stress...

Rave: Great comebacks......

Didn't I do that already?:)

Rave: A nice bit of sparkling fizz on a Friday. Bottoms up! <Clink>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

davedanon wrote: »
    Rave: A nice bit of sparkling fizz on a Friday. Bottoms up! <Clink>

What are you celebrating Dave or do you just have champers for fun?

menoscemo wrote: »
    What are you celebrating Dave or do you just have champers for fun?

We do this every week. TGIF!

davedanon wrote: »
    We do this every week. TGIF!

I thought you tallaght lads celebrated with Dutch Gold?

I thought you tallaght lads celebrated with Dutch Gold?

I'm from Raheny, though. Class is permanent, and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Ritchie Sadlier.
    That is all.

Is he one of ours? Must be from the wrong side of the church.

• Advertisement

Bressie's on Ray Darcy Rte1.....

Holly Holm.
    Classy boxer and a classy person. It's just a pity that she had to change sport to make a few quid and get the recognition she deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Holly Holm.
    Classy boxer and a classy person. It's just a pity that she had to change sport to make a few quid and get the recognition she deserves.

BOOOM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Absolutely shattered. 3 hours sleep in the last 48 hours but another successful Eddie Murphy done and dusted :)

Ole ole ole....get in there. France here we come.

A certain beer miler "only" being ranked 851st from 868 competitors with a 2.27 marathon time.

You have to love the Fukuoka Marathon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

A certain beer miler "only" being ranked 851st from 868 competitors with a 2.27 marathon time.

You have to love the Fukuoka Marathon :D

When is this on? He looks like he is targeting a 2.17 in Fukuoka.

When is this on? He looks like he is targeting a 2.17 in Fukuoka.

6th of December.

Some field assembled for it

http://www.iaaf.org/news/news/fukuoka-marathon-2015-elite-field-kimetto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Sher I could have nipped over and ran, only I have the Waterford half the day before. :rolleyes: :pac:

• Advertisement

Beef wrote: »
    Sher I could have nipped over and ran, only I have the Waterford half the day before. :rolleyes: :pac:

Haha have to wait myself. That pesky 2.40 qualifying time (or 70 min half) needed just to get a place (no lottery here). Definitely one on my radar though to aim for a few years down the line.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement