Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The rave thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Rick Ford wrote: »
    Rick Ford wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ more of a non rave

Ha, I was wondering why you posted about in a a rave thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

kit3 wrote: »
    Nice to be able to get your hands on gear like that. Are you an official reviewer or something or do they sponsor you ?

They sponsor me gear (and give them some feedback as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Dublin City Libraries

Ordered a copy of P&D's Advanced Marathoning online a few days ago and just got a call saying it's ready to collect :D.

Let's hope the marathon is as straightforward :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Enduro wrote: »
    They sponsor me gear (and give them some feedback as well).

Jaysus be careful with praising the gear too much so - you could fall foul of the anti shilling rules !

My missus is going to buy me a good jacket for Christmas. Am well interested in one of these but I see from the link that they're not due until next year :( Would you have any recommendations from a current range ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Jaysus be careful with praising the gear too much so - you could fall foul of the anti shilling rules !

My missus is going to buy me a good jacket for Christmas. Am well interested in one of these but I see from the link that they're not due until next year :( Would you have any recommendations from a current range ?

The OMM Kamleika race jacket is ridiculously good. It's a bit pricey now at €180 or so but I've yet seen it on sale for around €120.

Ron Hill trail tempest is a pretty good jacket too. Keeps you dry, good pockets and a fully adjustable hood. Can be a bit sweaty so need to tweak your base layers to get the balance right.

But also keeps you warm. Packs up nicely in a bumbag with a strap and whistle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Djoucer wrote: »
    The OMM Kamleika race jacket is ridiculously good. It's a bit pricey now at €180 or so but I've yet seen it on sale for around €120.

Ron Hill trail tempest is a pretty good jacket too. Keeps you dry, good pockets and a fully adjustable hood. Can be a bit sweaty so need to tweak your base layers to get the balance right.

I got a great one for €20 in Lidl during the year. Sorry didn't buy two. Wind/Water Proof, Hood, Zipped Pockets, Reflective bits. stick on a €5 Technolayer Top from Pennys under it and grand. €180 seems mental.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Really like my OMM as well. Seems to keep out the wind and rain to good effect. Also like that it's not over done on the fluorescent and reflective so you can wear it in public as well.

I got a great one for €20 in Lidl during the year. Sorry didn't buy two. Wind/Water Proof, Hood, Zipped Pockets, Reflective bits. stick on a €5 Technolayer Top from Pennys under it and grand. €180 seems mental.

Nah, there's no comparison at all. You'll never get one that ticks all the boxes you list and do them in any way well, well apart from zips and reflective bands for €20. If it's properly water proof it will be like wearing a plastic bag. My experience is that they're basically crap for any sort of activity other than walking.

OMMs are exceptional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

RAVE: running through the phoenix park as the sun is rising - stunningly beautiful :)

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Nah, there's no comparison at all. You'll never get one that ticks all the boxes you list and do them in any way well, well apart from zips and reflective bands for €20. If it's properly water proof it will be like wearing a plastic bag. My experience is that they're basically crap for any sort of activity other than walking.

OMMs are exceptional.

There's a rule in cycling circles for buying equipment : Strong, Light, Cheap - pick any 2 :)

It's similar with running gear I think: Effective, Light, Cheap - pick any 2

• Advertisement

OMM are a small UK company that was founded to make gear for mountain marathons (OMM is Original Mountain Marathon). So their gear tends to be very well designed for UK/Irish style mountain running. Innov8 has very similar origins and their gear is also worth looking at for the same reasons. Both company's gear is very nice indeed, and you see lots of it at UK races in particular.

Ron Hill is of course famously founded by one of the UK's great marathon runners, so their running gear is also good. But it does tend to be much more running oriented than mountaineering oriented. I had a ron hill lightweight shell years ago and loved it. Great for short term protection, and light enough to carry around on training runs without any issues.

In general there is a balance to be struck with these things. Most of the runner oreiented stuff is waterproof to an extent, but will tend not to be as robust or long-term effective as the more mountaineering style gear (they would be more likely to soak out more quickly on a long run, for example). The emphasis with mountaineering oreinted gear is more on outright effectiveness, with lightness and flexibility being more secondary.

The two side get closer as you throw more money at them to get lightweight effective gear!

So when choosing a jacket the best thing to do is to decide your own priority/balance between effectiveness (How effective the waterproofing and breathability is, and how long will it hold out for in relentless nasty weather), weight (also including cut, foldability and other more runner specific demands) and price. What you decide there should have a big effect on which brands/models to go for.

Someone who races LL IMRA races and only does short training runs in the hills should have a different order of ideal requirements than someone like me who can in mountains for days at a time and trains for > 4hours in the hills on a regular basis, whatever the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

I personally love the Gore Windstopper gear. Between hats, gloves, jacket & tights I look like an advertisement for the brand.

I find they have a fairly decent level of waterproofness (if there is such a word) & as per the name, they stop the wind pretty well. Also think the fit is great in the jackets & they weigh next to nothing.

The Gore Store has decent deals on previous years stock if you can get your size & they also do a free reproofing service for the waterproofing layer.

http://www.tgstore.co.uk/outlet-clearance/gore-running-wear-offers/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

2 Raves about Nuremberg, Germany.

Rave 1: Christkindlmarkt, their traditional Christmas Market which is over 500 years old. Incredible stuff. 180 stalls, all numbered like on a residential street, each a local business, with amazing home made treats, sweets, cakes, ornaments, decorations, and of course tons of variations of gluhwein (I sampled as much as physically possible). Lots of really festive music and carol singing on a big stage. There's also a kids market nearby, which despite the name, still sells gluhwein at almost every second stall. The whole vibe was extremely festive, but not in a tacky way. In a real traditional way. Great to see people all out drinking on the streets, and not an ounce of trouble in sight, and I hardly saw a security guard all weekend. This market was even better than that in the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen, which is really saying something. The stalls are impressively designed. They are like little mini bars, and they have cabins and log style tables set up for those who want to stand around and drink. Or you are free to roam around the city with your mug. You pay 2-3 euro for the deposit on the mug. You can keep it as a souvenir if you want. If not, just bring it back to any stall and you get the deposit back.

Compare that to the utter rubbish we put together here. Stephens Green Market last year had a Thai Food stall, and lads just selling off crap you could find in TK Maxx. Nothing Christmas related about that kind of thing. No hand made goods, as traders who engage in that type of trade can’t afford the rip off rental and insurance costs of setting up a stall. I’m going to check out the new one this year over by the Custom House, but expectations are low. Fair enough we don’t have a tradition with regards these things, but neither does the UK, and they put together a far more respectable effort.

Rave 2: Very impressive city all round. Same size as Dublin, and yet they have 3 metro lines and 5 tram lines, with everything connecting. Then there’s the S-Bahn rail which serves the outer suburbs. Most impressive though is that a sizeable portion of the city centre is pedestrianized, and the streets that aren’t, don’t seem to see many cars, as due to the difficulty of driving through the centre, the incentive is probably not there. Cars are kept well away from the city centre. Something for Dublin to strive towards. Won’t happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Chivito550 wrote: »
    2 Raves about Nuremberg, Germany.

Rave 1: Christkindlmarkt, their traditional Christmas Market which is over 500 years old. Incredible stuff. 180 stalls, all numbered like on a residential street, each a local business, with amazing home made treats, sweets, cakes, ornaments, decorations, and of course tons of variations of gluhwein (I sampled as much as physically possible). Lots of really festive music and carol singing on a big stage. There's also a kids market nearby, which despite the name, still sells gluhwein at almost every second stall. The whole vibe was extremely festive, but not in a tacky way. In a real traditional way. Great to see people all out drinking on the streets, and not an ounce of trouble in sight, and I hardly saw a security guard all weekend. This market was even better than that in the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen, which is really saying something. The stalls are impressively designed. They are like little mini bars, and they have cabins and log style tables set up for those who want to stand around and drink. Or you are free to roam around the city with your mug. You pay 2-3 euro for the deposit on the mug. You can keep it as a souvenir if you want. If not, just bring it back to any stall and you get the deposit back.

Compare that to the utter rubbish we put together here. Stephens Green Market last year had a Thai Food stall, and lads just selling off crap you could find in TK Maxx. Nothing Christmas related about that kind of thing. No hand made goods, as traders who engage in that type of trade can’t afford the rip off rental and insurance costs of setting up a stall. I’m going to check out the new one this year over by the Custom House, but expectations are low. Fair enough we don’t have a tradition with regards these things, but neither does the UK, and they put together a far more respectable effort.

Rave 2: Very impressive city all round. Same size as Dublin, and yet they have 3 metro lines and 5 tram lines, with everything connecting. Then there’s the S-Bahn rail which serves the outer suburbs. Most impressive though is that a sizeable portion of the city centre is pedestrianized, and the streets that aren’t, don’t seem to see many cars, as due to the difficulty of driving through the centre, the incentive is probably not there. Cars are kept well away from the city centre. Something for Dublin to strive towards. Won’t happen though.

you really a cantankerous bastard! Even your rave reads like a rant ;):D

you really a cantankerous bastard! Even your rave reads like a rant ;):D

Haha, well there's no rant thread anymore.

It's always bittersweet seeing great infrastructure in mainland Europe. Makes me frustrated that we are 50 years behind most of Western Europe in terms of public transport and city planning.

You also have to take into account the city was pretty much rebuilt throughout the late 40s and into the 50s so they had a chance to plan it with a near enough blank slate.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You also have to take into account the city was pretty much rebuilt throughout the late 40s and into the 50s so they had a chance to plan it with a near enough blank slate.

True, though that excuse can't be used for other similar sized cities, namely Oslo and Copenhagen, who excel in these areas just like Nuremberg.

Nuremberg actually didn't have a metro until 1972. Construction began in 1967.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Rave: that any public infrastructure gets built at all in a country where no one or no company wants to pay any tax. Without EU infrastructural funds in the 1990s we wouldn't even have a decent road.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Rave: that any public infrastructure gets built at all in a country where no one or no company wants to pay any tax. Without EU infrastructural funds in the 1990s we wouldn't even have a decent road.

Too right. Until recently I thought we paid a lot of tax. Then my Dutch friend who lives here laughed at me dismissively. I can't remember the tax rates over there but he told me he paid considerably more there than he does here. But they get bang for their buck in terms of where their taxes are spent.

I guess Irish tax rates seemed crazy high to me because they are considerably lower in Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Murph_D wrote: »

Was reading the other day, for every € Ireland got from Europe, it gave back twice in Fisheries/Fishing Rights.
    On EU entry in 1973 the Irish negotiated a deal that appeared good, but only at first glance: allowing other EU states into their waters to fish in exchange for money for Irish farmers. Murtagh says: “14.2 per cent of European seas are Irish. But we are allowed have only 2.6 per cent of the fish.”
    Murtagh’s thesis: Ireland has paid back twice in fish every euro of EU aid received. The Dutch, Spanish, French come with industrial ships and empty Irish waters while EU fisheries policy keeps him ashore.

‘Conned’: a German view of Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Was reading the other day, for every € Ireland got from Europe, it gave back twice in Fisheries/Fishing Rights.

‘Conned’: a German view of Ireland

Yes, the fishing rights giveaway was a very poor deal. Separate issue though. I'm not saying the EU is great, just that the infrastructural funds had to be spent on actual infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Rave: Picking up a bargain basement long sleeve top in TK

Rant: The beautiful combination of HRM rash and a shower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Rave: Picking up a bargain basement long sleeve top in TK

Rant: The beautiful combination of HRM rash and a shower

HRM rash - herpes r ? m ? :eek: Haven't heard of that one ! Sounds nasty :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

HRM rash - herpes r ? m ? :eek: Haven't heard of that one ! Sounds nasty :(

Hairy Rectal Mange kit3.

tang1 wrote: »
    Hairy Rectal Mange kit3.

HEART RATE MONITOR - tang you're a messer :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Jesus H Christ Kit, you need to ask Santa for some HRM rash or you just haven't lived!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Firedance wrote: »
    HEART RATE MONITOR - tang you're a messer :D:D

Hmm, ta *

*was really just winding BeepBeep up ;)

Hmm, ta *

*was really just winding BeepBeep up ;)

:D:D I should have known that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Pittsburgh Steelers- go the Terrible Towel!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Winter solstice!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement