Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The rave thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Gary Anderson's 9 darter!

Unbelievable Jeff!!!!

Delighted after he missed it yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Seeing the sun in the sky this morning after it seems a long break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

The love/hate relationship one has with cross country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Realising two months later that there is life after chocolate and coffee. And it's actually kind of...better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

The love/hate relationship one has with cross country.

I'm sure I saw a smile during the third lap ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

I'm sure I saw a smile during the third lap ;)

Yea near the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭aero2k

Myself and aero2k were at her chi running course there a few years ago. She loved me the most. :cool: See her in the Phoenix park all the time, she'd always be the first person to say hello!

Doesn't everyone?:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

aero2k wrote: »

Of course, and sure, who can blame them? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Gomall

Rave : Phoenix park 10mile run today, sunshine, smiles and loads of men and ladies running , quick pint in Hole in the Wall afterwards , nice start to 2016 training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Myself and aero2k were at her chi running course there a few years ago. She loved me the most. :cool: See her in the Phoenix park all the time, she'd always be the first person to say hello!
    aero2k wrote: »

national-stalking-helpline-logo.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Ah Dirty Dirty Leeds, Cellino is doing a fine job with ye!!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Ah Dirty Dirty Leeds, Cellino is doing a fine job with ye!!!

Continuing on where others left off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Delivery man asked for eircode. And it worked! :)

No more "pass the pub 5 miles after town, first left, fifth driveway on the right, second house on the left*, call me again if you can't find it". Long may it continue!

* not the exact directions to my house!

No more "pass the pub 5 miles after town, first left, fifth driveway on the right, second house on the left*, call me again if you can't find it". Long may it continue!

Awww....I'd got to the fourth driveway bu the time I read last line :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Awww....I'd got to the fourth driveway bu the time I read last line :(

I didnt even get past the pub!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Dangers of Adventure Racing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Fantastic to see so many people out running today at lunchtime down the quays in Dublin, it was like the night run all over again, with sun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Fantastic to see so many people out running today at lunchtime down the quays in Dublin, it was like the night run all over again, with sun. :)
    Give it two weeks, then it'll just be us again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Hahaha, same as in the gyms this week. Queues for everything. Come February everything settles down, and 99% of them disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Enduro wrote: »
    OMM are a small UK company that was founded to make gear for mountain marathons (OMM is Original Mountain Marathon). So their gear tends to be very well designed for UK/Irish style mountain running. Innov8 has very similar origins and their gear is also worth looking at for the same reasons. Both company's gear is very nice indeed, and you see lots of it at UK races in particular.

Ron Hill is of course famously founded by one of the UK's great marathon runners, so their running gear is also good. But it does tend to be much more running oriented than mountaineering oriented. I had a ron hill lightweight shell years ago and loved it. Great for short term protection, and light enough to carry around on training runs without any issues.

In general there is a balance to be struck with these things. Most of the runner oreiented stuff is waterproof to an extent, but will tend not to be as robust or long-term effective as the more mountaineering style gear (they would be more likely to soak out more quickly on a long run, for example). The emphasis with mountaineering oreinted gear is more on outright effectiveness, with lightness and flexibility being more secondary.

The two side get closer as you throw more money at them to get lightweight effective gear!

So when choosing a jacket the best thing to do is to decide your own priority/balance between effectiveness (How effective the waterproofing and breathability is, and how long will it hold out for in relentless nasty weather), weight (also including cut, foldability and other more runner specific demands) and price. What you decide there should have a big effect on which brands/models to go for.

Someone who races LL IMRA races and only does short training runs in the hills should have a different order of ideal requirements than someone like me who can in mountains for days at a time and trains for > 4hours in the hills on a regular basis, whatever the weather.

Slow though I am to disagree with the likes of Enduro, I got the OMM jacket a couple of years ago, and after a few wears it started to let in water quite seriously on the sleeves. Wife got one at the same time - same experience. The leggings, incidentally, are wonderfully quiet and non-annoying to walk it, and seem to be holding up better. The fabric (gelanots - where do they get the names from?) is lovely and thin and stretchy.

My current favourite is GoreTex Active, as being a bit less sweaty than PacLite, while still quite packable.

My 2 cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What model? I have the Kamleika a few years now and it's still as water tight as ever, I know others that swear by it too.

Have you ever put it through the wash?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Free random alcohol shot post meal. You have to love Island living in a hot climate in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Was it one of those caramel whisky shots? Mmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Sonia has the quote of the day in letsrun and there's a good read about her build-up and career up to the 98 World cross double.

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2015/05/sonia-osullivan-shares-her-training-log-with-letsrun-com-how-did-the-villanova-grad-win-the-world-cross-country-title-twice-in-2008/

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Luighne

Strange rave but having been out injured for near 3 months. I've that stiff feeling in my legs from a few short runs. Foam roller tonight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

For the first time in a few weeks was able to jog out the Straight road in Cork after work yesterday without having to turn back cause of rivers flowing across it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

First run to work ever this morning! What a great way to start the day!

It took about half the time my usual car & bus & walk commute does.
    I will save 5 euro 40 cent per day (round trip on bus).
    I have an extra 5 miles training done early in the day!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement