Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New oil boiler recommendations please?

• 09-11-2013 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Looking to replace 35 yr old oil boiler and looking for recommendation.
    Boiler is in utility room.
    House is 3 bed semi-d dormer bungalow
    7 radiators (2 small, 4 medium, 1 large) Looking to install 2 new rads.
    Looking to get system flushed and thermostat added.
    Looking for registered recommended plumber in Dublin area.
    Suggestions of what boilers, where to buy and approx cost of plumbers please?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 polymath plumber

I am living in the D.16 and may be able to advice/assist you. Pm sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Wigsy wrote: »
    Looking to replace 35 yr old oil boiler and looking for recommendation.
    Boiler is in utility room.
    House is 3 bed semi-d dormer bungalow
    7 radiators (2 small, 4 medium, 1 large) Looking to install 2 new rads.
    Looking to get system flushed and thermostat added.
    Looking for registered recommended plumber in Dublin area.
    Suggestions of what boilers, where to buy and approx cost of plumbers please?

Most efficient oil boiler on the market is the Grant Vortex. Just don't over-size a condensing oil boiler as it will be out of condensing mode more than it will be in.
    Utility models are the most expensive of the range. The flue detail will have to have particular attention paid to it as many of the regs for SE boilers will differ from HE regs. For example, minimum distance from the flue terminal to an opening for SE is 300mm but a HE is 1,000mm, so many SE flues are beside the back door. This won't suit the HE.

What area of Dublin are you located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

grant vortex is much better than the firebird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

shane0007 wrote: »
    Most efficient oil boiler on the market is the Grant Vortex. Just don't over-size a condensing oil boiler as it will be out of condensing mode more than it will be in.
    Utility models are the most expensive of the range. The flue detail will have to have particular attention paid to it as many of the regs for SE boilers will differ from HE regs. For example, minimum distance from the flue terminal to an opening for SE is 300mm but a HE is 1,000mm, so many SE flues are beside the back door. This won't suit the HE.

Is that measurement for HE not 600mm Shane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Grant Vortex is all I fit. I installed one recently near you in Rathfarnham village. If you like I'm sure i can arrange for you to talk to the customer and get feed back from them.

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Is that measurement for HE not 600mm Shane?

Of course it is, I'm tired, I've had a hard time with gas guys for past 2 days. Gas is 300mm. I no longer know if I am coming or going. And Gary is picking on me... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Of course it is, I'm tired, I've had a hard time with gas guys for past 2 days. Gas is 300mm. I no longer know if I am coming or going. And Gary is picking on me... :D

its your Sherlock holmes sideline that has you knackered shane ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Wigsy

Thanks for the info.
    Based in Lucan

Both myself & JohnnieK cover that area & both OFTEC certified. John would be an excellent choice as he does excellent quality work. PM him for his details.

A quick question, if in Lucan is there natural gas outside your door & if so, it would be worth throwing gas into the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Shane0007 coveres the Faro Islands to the Canaries.
    Siberia to Seattle.
    24 hour service if the jets up to it !

If not 36 hours on Ryan air if they take off from Kilkenny.

+Extra for the tool box + the magical I'll sort your boiler out misse's, universal fix it all, world famous calrabated "screwdriver" !!

• Advertisement

scudo2 wrote: »
    Shane0007 coveres the Faro Islands to the Canaries.
    Siberia to Seattle.
    24 hour service if the jets up to it !

If not 36 hours on Ryan air if they take off from Kilkenny.

What are you on about? Where I work & what I do has absolutely nothing to do with you. You do enough snide comments to last me a lifetime & I have refrained from commenting on nearly all of them so I would really appreciate you cease them, please.

What are you on about? Where I work & what I do has absolutely nothing to do with you. You do enough snide comments to last me a lifetime & I have refrained from commenting on nearly all of them so I would really appreciate you cease them, please.
    Ok ill stop, I just thought you might have a sense of humour. I'm wrong !
    Totaly wrong.
    Very wrong

If you look over your posts for the last month you'll see where I've thanked you for your opinion and imputed.
    And I will thank you that a lot of what you say is good but your bedside manner is lacking.

You never "THANKS"

I'm not out for a debate but you could do with a sense of humour !

Your views and putdowns come across not to friendly if you don't mind me saying....and that also includes your replys to others here on P&H.
    I'm not the only person with this opinion.

Why do you post the cartoon pictures of yourself and staff on your website if you do not have a sense of humour.

And you do try to cover quite a large area of the country.

I have enough happy clients in a 15mile radius.

Lets not comment to each other again please, even though I tried to help with my imput on the burner that stumped you.+ more

PM somebody for their honest views on this please.

I'm not out to cause hassel.

No further comment nessary.

But I will post my opinions, but will refrain from saying anything personal to your feelings if you promise to be more polite and say "THANKS" its so polite to do so.

Totaly wrong.
    Very wrong

If you look over your posts for the last month you'll see where I've thanked you for your opinion and imputed.
    And I will thank you that a lot of what you say is good but your bedside manner is lacking.

You never "THANKS"
    Such a simple and nice gesture!

Your views and putdowns come across not to friendly if you don't mind me saying....and that also includes your replys to others here on P&H.

Why do you post the cartoon pictures of yourself and staff on your website if you do not have a sense of humour.

Lets not comment to each other again please, even though I tried to help with my imput on the burner that stumped you.+ more

But I will post my opinions, but will refrain from saying anything personal to your feelings if you promise to be more polite and say "THANKS" its so polite to do so.
    Ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Scudo's having a bad day, mass THANKS required me thinks.

Totaly wrong.
    Very wrong

You never "THANKS"

Firstly Scudo, I don't need thanks, nor do I look for it. I thank people where I really think it is warranted, not for every post people make on this forum. It is a forum & people here help others, not for thanks but it is a hobby.
    I don't even feel it a need to go round thanking myself as you seem to do!

Secondly, I don't need people to PM me either. I don't need to help people by PM either. That if I can assist somebody by a post, another person may benefit from that answer also.

Thirdly, I don't drive any Fiats, so my vans can reach further than a 15 mile radius.

Finally, if your input into the assistance I required went unthanked, then I can only apologise from the bottom of my heart. I now offer you the biggest, the most massive, the most enormous THANK YOU I have ever bethroath on anybody. You assistance was duly noted & the hierarchy in Grant have taken notice. Again thank you, thank you, thank you.

Scudo, I have nothing against you, but you do seem to require a bit of pampering & I don't have many hugs left after Gary71 takes them all.

Oh & no need to thank this post!

Ain't you forgetting something :p
    Scudo's having a bad day, mass THANKS required me thinks.

I ain't thanking you anymore Shane, you've got more than me :D

Firstly Scudo, I don't need thanks, nor do I look for it. I thank people where I really think it is warranted, not for every post people make on this forum. It is a forum & people here help others, not for thanks but it is a hobby.
    I don't even feel it a need to go round thanking myself as you seem to do!

Secondly, I don't need people to PM me either. I don't need to help people by PM either. That if I can assist somebody by a post, another person may benefit from that answer also.

Thirdly, I don't drive any Fiats, so my vans can reach further than a 15 mile radius.

Finally, if your input into the assistance I required went unthanked, then I can only apologise from the bottom of my heart. I now offer you the biggest, the most massive, the most enormous THANK YOU I have ever bethroath on anybody. You assistance was duly noted & the hierarchy in Grant have taken notice. Again thank you, thank you, thank you.

Scudo, I have nothing against you, but you do seem to require a bit of pampering & I don't have many hugs left after Gary71 takes them all.

Oh & no need to thank this post!

Appericated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

that makes 2 of us

I now offer you the biggest, the most massive, the most enormous THANK YOU I have ever bethroath on anybody. You assistance was duly noted & the hierarchy in Grant have taken notice. Again thank you, thank you, thank you.

Was this not enough?

Apologies again, I did not realise they were a commodity. I will sell you mine. Now if there was a hugs button, that would be a different story. The battle would begin with those.

The mass THANKS post is on page 1, keep up!!! or i'll go and remove all the thanks i've given you over the years, then where will ya be :D

• Advertisement

The mass THANKS post is on page 1, keep up!!! or i'll go and remove all the thanks i've given you over the years, then where will ya be :D

I want those stars beside my name & the coloured ones. I'm not sure which ones I want cos I don't know what they mean but I want them. I'll swap all me thanks for your stars.

Advertisement