Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Bicycle Community

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

"We are not interested in flashy equipment or competitive machismo."

Is that not what cycling is all about!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

"We do not seek any funding or commitments – just your participation!"

How does one participate apart of the regular daily commute on bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Very little info on that link. On the face of it it looks all hemp trousers and tie dye tshirts or to put it another way like a green party political broadcast (not hating on the greens - although I did spend their bike scheme on flashy equipment which was then used for the purposes of competitive machismo)

Regarding the fancy equipment and competitive machismo, presumably this refers to the various racing and leisure clubs around and I wouldn't dismiss them. Taking into account all of the city based cycling and tri clubs, their numbers have grown in the last 10 years from around 30 to 500 active cyclists. Many of whom commute using their bikes as their sole or prime method of transport and encourage their friends, family and colleages to do same. Clearly they are rather good at it (aided by the bike scheme of course, although numbers were already rapidly increasing by then).

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭backtobass

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Very little info on that link. On the face of it it looks all hemp trousers and tie dye tshirts or to put it another way like a green party political broadcast (not hating on the greens - although I did spend their bike scheme on flashy equipment which was then used for the purposes of competitive machismo)

Regarding the fancy equipment and competitive machismo, presumably this refers to the various racing and leisure clubs around and I wouldn't dismiss them. Taking into account all of the city based cycling and tri clubs, their numbers have grown in the last 10 years from around 30 to 500 active cyclists. Many of whom commute using their bikes as their sole or prime method of transport and encourage their friends, family and colleages to do same. Clearly they are rather good at it (aided by the bike scheme of course, although numbers were already rapidly increasing by then).

Is Dunmore Road still the only road with a cycle lane?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

backtobass wrote: »
    There's a cycle lane for a good bit of the airport road, out as far as the ring road.
    The ring road by Carrickpherish has one too.

Also, don't forget the new piece of cycle lane on the quay! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

There's a few bits of cycle lanes about. Out the mall, Cork road for a bit, The inner ring road also our lovely one to tramore and back .

Probably a few more scattered around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Loads of bicycle paths around waterford now. Most are in reasonable condition. Some can be more dangerous than others but thats down to motorists cutting across them/you at roundabouts. The inner ring road ones are lethal for people driving into them going around cars at the lights without looking behind

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

i love when im cycling, i put out my hand in advance to let the car behind me know im going to take the turn thats ahead of us.. (usually into my estate) and the car somehow decides its better to speed up and almost hit me.. that or just ignores me and carries on driving having nearly hit me.

• Advertisement

The new dual carriageway which starts at Kilmeaden has a sign "no animals,no cyclists" at the start of it, but there is no bye law passed for it, its much safer then the Kilmeaden-Sweep-=Tramore cross route to the city. I had to laugh when they upgraded Kilmeaden a few years back, high footpath kerbs on both sides of the road and no yellow line to cycle inside of. Cycling friendly, i think not:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Hello? Was Waterford not transformed into a Utopia for cyclists, pedestrians, bus users and fluffy bunnies when the bypass was opened in 2009?

Isn't that what bypasses do?

That's what the Galway City Outer Bypass is going to do. Oh yes.

Advertisement