Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Music serving better than NAS

• 09-11-2013 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hi

Frustrated and looking for some advice from those who have a media setup working well.

Currently i have a Netgear readynas ultra running Logitech Media server and feeding the logitech squeezebox touch. ALso feeding all other devices from this nas.

I am finding performance from the NAS poor to laptops etc... for Logitech and itunes access and thinking of a running a media PC.

Also I am thinking of dumping the logitech as I find the squeezebox radio not great for web radio reliability.

Finally for all my music thats ripped I a finding itunes a pain and wondering is there a better way of getting music on the iphone? i ripped all my cds a while ago but finding i am having to manually use mp3tag manually to correct problems of itunes not seeing tracks as all one album.

any comments from those who are happy with their setup and what they are using?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

redman wrote: »
    Hi

Frustrated and looking for some advice from those who have a media setup working well.

Currently i have a Netgear readynas ultra running Logitech Media server and feeding the logitech squeezebox touch. ALso feeding all other devices from this nas.

I am finding performance from the NAS poor to laptops etc... for itunes access and thinking of a running a media PC.

Also I am thinking of dumping the logitech as I find the squeezebox radio not great for web radio reliability.

Finally for all my music thats ripped I a finding itunes a pain and wondering is there a better way of getting music on the iphone? i ripped all my cds a while ago but finding i am having to manually use mp3tag manually to correct problems of itunes not seeing tracks as all one album.

any comments from those who are happy with their setup and what they are using?

So it is the wireless performance you are frustrated with?

If so maybe doing something about the wireless set up is what is needed.
    If that is the problem then a change of backend is hardly the answer .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

no its not the wireless thats the problem, i have used cabled too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

redman wrote: »
    no its not the wireless thats the problem, i have used cabled too.

I see ..... odd.

But as I do not deal with any iStuff I will bow out .... have no practical knowledge of that software or hardware.

Good luck ;)

BTW, I have a R-Pi set up as a music server without problems ...... but of course no i-xx involved.
    I cannot imagine a lack of power in the NAS being a problem for serving music, if a R-Pi can do it easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Try something other than iTunes, can you browse the files pretty snappy? Could it be iTunes scanning the library causing slowdowns? My own experiences with iTunes were not good, horrible, horrible software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

smee again wrote: »
    Try something other than iTunes, can you browse the files pretty snappy? Could it be iTunes scanning the library causing slowdowns? My own experiences with iTunes were not good, horrible, horrible software.

thanks for the reply, i should have been clearer, its particularly poor for Logitech Media server not just itunes. Dont find the LMS a good s/w at all.... agree with you on itunes too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

What are your ping times like to the NAS? Can you navigate through the directories on the NAS fast using your file explorer?

Advertisement