Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuala Moore Open Water Swimmer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Madness or pure living :confused::eek: but in some way I get it ..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

She's some woman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Jeez those Russian's sound like hardy folk!

Vote for her here ("2013 WOWSA WOMAN OF THE YEAR"), she's currently in 2nd place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I met her!!! I met her while in Ireland - interested is friends with her and I had the pleasure of meeting her and hearing some of her tales. She doesn't swim in a wet suit - did you know that?? It's all skins!!!! :eek::eek::eek: Or at least it was in the Bering Straight. Absolutely crazy if you ask me...but she explained why and then told me she deals with pain very well. !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

There was a feature about her on the RTE news before. Part of the training is sitting in the ice baths of the nearby Fish factory in Dingle. Most of the swimming is done in Pedlars lake at the Conor pass (a beautiful place to swim if ever there was one) where the water is nearly Siberian. Some woman alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Guys going to have to play devils advocate about this post. I fail to see what is so impressive about this. She likes swimming long distances in cold cold water. Am i missing something ? Cue the abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Guys going to have to play devils advocate about this post. I fail to see what is so impressive about this. She likes swimming long distances in cold cold water. Am i missing something ? Cue the abuse.

You're not impressed about a double crossing of the English channel? Have you any idea how difficult one crossing is? Real long distance open water swimming is a different sport to the farting about in wet suits that we triathletes do. It's a minority sport sure but when you read up on how tough a sport it is it's hard not to be impressed. I for one am definitely impressed by Nuala and her swimming achievements (I am in awe of any English channel swimmer). There are good articles on how tough an ice mile swim is here.

Cue the long and slow is easy and not as impressive as short and fast abuse ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

I am proud to say I know Nuala, having swam on several of her OW organised swims in Kerry and took part in the triathlon she organised this year.

She trains all year round in the waters of the Dingle coast and only ever in togs. She may not be fast, but by god she will go and go. Rough seas no problem and I mean big open seas, miles off shore.

See used to compete in triathlons and I believe she competed in the world games a few years ago.

She is also the current secretary for the ILDSA.
    She is an impressive woman and I wish her all the best in her nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

I have swum a few 10km races, this allows me to put her double channel crossing into some context in my own mind.

It's a bloody impressive feat and impresses me a lot more than the ice acheivements (that's a minority sport within a minority sport).

She must have covered the guts of 90km in that channel crossing which is spectacular to have the ability to just keep going, stay injury free and not give up or fall prey to the demons that must surely grip your mind during something like that.

No doubt there are many more talented, quicker swimmers around the country but this is an interesting story and you can understand why the times would give it some weekend coverage.

I applaud her achievements and spirit of adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DonalB

Not commenting on anything else here but correcting a serious mistake in this thread and in the article: Nuala has not swum a Double (two-way) English Channel, nor has she swum a Single English Channel, nor any other Channel.

She was one member of a two-way English Channel RELAY TEAM, (I was on the same team), which was difficult but that was due to the weather while on the boat, not the swimming and was only a small fraction of the difficulty of any solo.

The only Irish person to swim a Two-way English Channel is Lisa Cummins from Cork in 2009, a member of the Sandycove Island Swim Club.

There are about 50 Irish Channel Swimmers in total, of whom 19 are members of Sandycove, making Sandycove the fourth most successful English Channel location in the world, the first three being entire countries.

The term Channel Swimmer is reserved by and used to designate solo Channel swimmers only, and only those who swim under Channel rules with no wetsuit or any other aids. Channel Swimmers call it, unofficially; the club. I'm sure the mistake lay with The Irish Times, not Nuala.

This year particularly has seen people make extravagant claims about distance swims with no burden or proof that the rest of us must adhere to. Doing so denigrates achievements of the real swimmers who risk everything for a goal and many of us, Nuala included I'm certain, as she has demonstrated in the ILDSA with the North Channel, think accurate representation of our sport is vital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Hyana Nyp

Gosh thanks for the shout out and the support..

It's a fantastic nomination and allows me to celebrate my journey to the Ice over the last year.
    The privilege to take on and swim 1000m at 0 degrees inside the Arctic Circle, to swim where they use a chainsaw to cut the ice for us in -33 deg air temp, to swim in the Bering Strait with Russian Military in 14-16 foot waves and actually swim from Russia to USA in surreal water, to experience the most amazing insanities-It's great to share the experiences-there's room for all.

The Irish Times article was an interview on the Ice swimming and my recent nomination to the extremes-
    Channel swimming didn't come up at all in the Interview-purely Ice talk.

The nomination has huge value for reasons of my contribution and the swims we take on-and allows me to enjoy-for that I am delighted-for all who support us.

My list of achievements and articles are on "Openwaterpedia" (Wikipedia for swimmers)-
    http://openwaterpedia.com/index.php?title=Nuala_Moore
    www.nualamoore.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Well done Nuala. You're the real deal when it comes to "extreme sports", as far as I'm concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DonalB

Thanks Nuala! I'd hazard, given your involvement with the ILDSA, that you & I are in agreement that it is extremely important for all swimmers (and all sports) that there is accurate representation of sporting achievements.

Advertisement