Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

metro north for blanchardstown dublin 15

Options
  • 09-11-2013 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

I Dont know if many people have seen it in the paper today but there are private investors proposing to build the metro north to the blanch centre. Now I dont need to say how great this would be for the area. I Dont have the link from the indo maybe someone can put it on. Would it be a good idea to email our local rep Leo varadrakar considering he is the minister for transport and get the push on to proceed with this project ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

Nice dream ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Metro West I'd imagine. Not sure what developers would be interested in ponying up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Its a about getting the nob done getting the decision makers to make a decision for the better and that means contacting your local rep in power vad and burton needs to hang their coat on one decent activement for dublin west . I can't think of anything better now than a metro link. People have the power to make this happen. Money can be found if enough voters show they are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If you read it properly, they dont propose to build line M1 which serves Blanch from Tallaght, only M2 which is Malahide-Airport-City. This is understandable as its still a lucrative corridor, so if someone has the capital then fair play to them. Line M1 however is 25km long and with the required bridging would cost > €3billion. It is simply not worth it, and is not likely to be worth it for 15-20 years. There is zero momentum behind it either. Whats needed most in D15 is DART upgrade for the Maynooth line to meet the new Luas at Cabra and the interconnector tunnel to free up Connolly station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Whats needed most in D15 is DART upgrade for the Maynooth line to meet the new Luas at Cabra and the interconnector tunnel to free up Connolly station.

What advantage would we get from a DART upgrade over the trains that we already have on the line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Murt10 wrote: »
    What advantage would we get from a DART upgrade over the trains that we already have on the line?

Faster running times?

Connolly station is the problem with all Dublin rail services, it cannot handle any more movements at peak. The DART upgrade and tunnels will remove that blockage by separating the lines to give two main routes, Malahide to Kildare via a tunnel serving Pearse and Heuston, and Maynooth to Greystones on more or less the existing system, but electrified. D15 will benefit from having trains to the City every 5 mins if needed, that connect with Luas at Broombridge and directly to all the Intercity lines at Connolly, Pearse or Heuston. Its the project that should be built first

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The single line from Clonsilla to Maynooth is also a bottle neck and then there's the fact the line doesn't serve all of D15.

Any links to maps with proposed routes?

Morag wrote: »
    The single line from Clonsilla to Maynooth is also a bottle neck and then there's the fact the line doesn't serve all of D15.

D 15 is a big area and your right the clonsilla cool mine and castle knock stations have only a certain convenient catchment. Sadly non action is see as a plan in Ireland. A metro to the centre would also bring new business not just speed of access around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Unfortunately, due to the economic times we live in, Ireland cannot simply afford this investment during this generation. The DART to Maynooth option is the only one that just might be sanctioned.

Also, I believe the proposed airport metro is onwards to Swords and not Malahide as mentioned above. That is more likely to see the light of day as nationally that has more beneficial significance than a suburban metro link to D15.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Morag wrote: »

It's a double track from Clonsilla to Maynooth, what do you mean by this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/private-group-revives-plan-to-build-19bn-dublin-metro-service-29740692.html

It seems this is a new proposal and different to the RPA proposal and involves a direct metro to Blanch

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Dublin 15 needs a better and faster bus service from Dublin Bus.

It would be great if a metro was built from Blanch Centre, through Blanch and then Castleknock Village underground though the Navan Road and on into town. That possible?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The annoying thing about the public transport in D15 is that it all serves the one area. The people living close to the train stations are already on the best bus route in the area, the 39.

This plan for the M1 route looks like it'll serve the same area. Stephen's Green to Blanch Centre isn't going to do any good for anyone not already on the train and 39 bus route any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It would be great if a metro was built from Blanch Centre, through Blanch and then Castleknock Village underground though the Navan Road and on into town. That possible?
    Got €€€?

Dublin 15 needs a better and faster bus service from Dublin Bus.

Far more likely and inexpensive I would think, once the green line stops at Broombridge, is to get a spur line to run along the N3 out to the Blanch Centre via Blanch Village, and then on to Ongar/Clonee or somewhere like that.

The N3 is already a 2 lane dual carriageway, with a big grassy space in the middle. It's made for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Far more likely and inexpensive I would think, once the green line stops at Broombridge, is to get a spur line to run along the N3 out to the Blanch Centre via Blanch Village, and then on to Ongar/Clonee or somewhere like that.

The N3 is already a 2 lane dual carriageway, with a big grassy space in the middle. It's made for it.

Yep that's grand just forget that Blanchardstown extends north beyond the shopping centre.

The minister for transport resides in Dublin 15 if it can be done which it can he is the one. Weather you believe in one way or the other unless its seen to be advantageous politically nothing will be done. It would be best if people contacted their local rep and get some action not just words

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The best possibility for D15 is the existing (but stalled) plan to electrify the Maynooth line and run DART services Maynooth<->Bray (and the other route would be Malahide<->Hazelhatch via the as yet unbuilt city centre tunnel). D15 has some decent distributor roads that are wide and could easily provide speedy bus transfers in to the as yet unbuilt (but planned) Porterstown Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Fingallion

I do not believe that there is any truth in the article in the Indo (same article in Herald). There is no reference to a group named Metro Dublin nor any mention of this scheme anywhere on the web. If you google it, you will only see this article, absolutely nothing else. I have emailed the author to clarify or give some contact info but doubt I will hear back. I think there is a bizarre and disingenuous marketing campaign going on to pump a second housing bubble with some powerful backers.

• Advertisement

Fingallion wrote: »
    I do not believe that there is any truth in the article in the Indo (same article in Herald). There is no reference to a group named Metro Dublin nor any mention of this scheme anywhere on the web. If you google it, you will only see this article, absolutely nothing else. I have emailed the author to clarify or give some contact info but doubt I will hear back. I think there is a bizarre and disingenuous marketing campaign going on to pump a second housing bubble with some powerful backers.

Did it not say they were meeting with DCC this week or something like that

Again, no names quoted, no url, no info at all except an image from RPA's Metro North.
    It did say that they detailed plans will be presented to DCC next week, we'll see. A bit strange though as they are not the responsible body, surely they would be consulting the Department of Transport and definitely and the NTA. Then An Bord Pleanala. DCC are only a stakeholder for part of the route just like Fingal, but would not be funding anything or making any decision.
    If there was any truth to this, it would need to go though the Railway Order planning process which takes years. Then the tender stage which also takes years. "Metro Dublin" (who I doubt exist) cannot just arrive with an idea and then go ahead with it. It's bogus and very odd.
    "Developers will be able to develop far more intensively than is possible with the urban transport network that is in place at present," it adds. Who is behind all this nonsense, like a pump and dump they do on the stock market.

January wrote: »
    Yep that's grand just forget that Blanchardstown extends north beyond the shopping centre.

I may be being a bit paranoid, but I think I'm being rebuked here. I may be wrong.

Anyway, if the Luas were to run down the new Ongar Road towards Ongar and Clonee, would that not suit most of the people living in Hartstown, Huntstown, Castleheaney, Ongar and Clonee (parts), all of whom are living in Dublin 15.

Where else in Dublin 15 could it run through large centres of population and justify the enormous cost of installing a new line and where the roads would have the capacity to take a Luas tram as well as normal traffic?

You're absolutely wasting your breath coming up with routes you might like to see developed for LUAS etc. Apart from there being no money, the rail and light-rail routes they will develop, eventually, be it heavy rail, metro, or LUAS have all been long identified and nailed down. We just have to wait 20 years to see them on the ground. D15 will only benefit from the DART upgrade and a big maybe Metro West

Across the city for the next 20 years you might see

DART underground interconnector (Connolly bypass), DART spur Clongriffin to Dublin Airport

LUAS BXD Stephens Green to Broombridge (under construction), LUAS Line F City - Lucan

Metro North, Metro West (very long shot)

What you will probably see more of, is the City core between the canals being closed to private traffic, retrofit QBC and BRT corridors (BRT is a cheap LUAS that looks like an electric bus and runs on dedicated lanes)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I may be being a bit paranoid, but I think I'm being rebuked here. I may be wrong.

Anyway, if the Luas were to run down the new Ongar Road towards Ongar and Clonee, would that not suit most of the people living in Hartstown, Huntstown, Castleheaney, Ongar and Clonee (parts), all of whom are living in Dublin 15.

Where else in Dublin 15 could it run through large centres of population and justify the enormous cost of installing a new line and where the roads would have the capacity to take a Luas tram as well as normal traffic?

What about people living in Mulhuddart, Corduff, Tyrrelstown, Waterville etc? One barely competent bus route to serve them all.

Years ago there was talk they were going to link the LUAS to the airport via Blanchardstown and the Snugborough Road. Obviously this has been scrapped entirely and that end of Blanchardstown seems to be off the plans entirely in any other mention of this scheme I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Fingallion wrote: »

http://www.metrodublin.ie/

There is a website.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Godge wrote: »
    http://www.metrodublin.ie/

There is a website.

It's a fairly useless website though.

I did hear back from the journalist and it is a true story, so I was wrong... and there is indeed a website... and Cormac Rabbitt did in fact present to DCC (today I think) .... so I take it all back. Although maybe it is not bad to be suspicious of stories like this when there is no source mentioned.

But ...seems like a variation of the same plans he has been trying to convince people of, with no success, for 15 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The focus on trains/metros in Dublin is misguided in my view. The city and county is far too sprawled to ensure a profitable and practical metro service. If it were all fields again, we could have built an underground system, but those days are gone.

That's why the emphasis has to be on creating a better and faster bus service. So that means more routes and shorter journey times to the City Centre. It takes anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half to get to town on a 37,38 or 39. That needs to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it were all fields again, we could have built an underground system, but those days are gone.
    If it were all fields again, couldn't you just build a 4-track surface railway?

Advertisement