Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my options.... where do I stand?

Options
  • 09-11-2013 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Have been long term unemployed
    Spent last 2 yrs doing scambridge schemes...

Went for an interview there about 6 weeks ago, got called for 2nd interview and was offered the job (maternity leave cover).

The salary on the job spec said "negotiable"

I have 3 yrs relevent experience not considering 12 months of jobbridge schemes.

The typical salary for a similar position would range from around €28k to around €40,000 depending on experience, the company, etc.

I was modest in my expectations and expected anything over €23k-24k

Then they dropped the bombshell.... They were offering €19k....

I was shocked. I didn't know what to say!

I told them that I thought that figure was way short off what I was expecting considering recession and all.
    I asked them if they would budge on this and if it was even negotiable!

They replied €20,000 max! Then they went onto say that they would review it after 3 or 4 months and that I would be kept at the end of the contract if I proved myself... usual craic! Told them I would need to consider it, thanked them and left.

Accepted the job anyways! (they had me by the balls.... I needed the job)

Anyways, 3 days into it, the manager who interviewed me asked me exactly how long I was unemployed because there was this Jobs plus scheme that the government launched and I may be eligible to benefit from it!

The scheme aimed to act as an incentive for companies to take on long term unemployed people. Companies are paid money by the government if they enter the scheme and the employee they take on who had been unemployed would receive €7,500 over 2 years if they were just over 1 yr on the live register and €10,000 over 2 yrs if they were over 2 yrs on the live register. This would be on top of the salary paid by the company.

So, anyways, in light of all this.... as it would bring my income to a level that I would expect, I am confused as to whether I should just accept this or look for a salary review after 3 or 4 months like they had said they would give me!?

I mean.... they still are just paying €20,000 which is a good bit below the norm for a similar position.... It is a very responsible position within the company! They never mentioned the scheme until after I had started working which means that, I may even be denied benefiting from the scheme (in which case, I would most definitely be looking for a raise!)

What would one advise???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

neaideabh wrote: »
    What would one advise???

Why are you even asking? What have you to gain by not joining the scheme???????????????????????????????????

If you dont join the scheme you're going to be asked why you didnt when you ask for a salary review. If you state it's because you're not being paid enough you're going to look silly and it will probably effect the decision to keep you or not. If you are kept on worry about in two years when the money stops.

PS I'm trying this ridiculous fad of using multiple punctuation for absolutely no reason - I'm not seeing the benefit in all honesty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't think it's you who benefits from the scheme, but them. Would be very surprised if you see any of the extra money that they get from it. And I doubt that it's available for maternity level covers, either.

That said, a job's a job. It breaks that gap on your CV. Let them sign up for the scheme now ... and good luck in applying for better-paid jobs yourself. As you said, they had you by the balls - but they don't get to keep you if someone else will pay more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

There used to be something called Revenue Job Assist which gave extra tax credits over three years once you were unemployed over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

No Pants wrote: »
    There used to be something called Revenue Job Assist which gave extra tax credits over three years once you were unemployed over a year.

That scheme has gone. In any case there won't be much tax payable on that salary. My advice is to take it, you are then in a strong position as JobsPlus is structured so as to encourage the employer to keep you on, ie the money is drip fed. Renegotiate after your probationary period is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Bepolite wrote: »
    Why are you even asking? What have you to gain by not joining the scheme???????????????????????????????????

If you dont join the scheme you're going to be asked why you didnt when you ask for a salary review. If you state it's because you're not being paid enough you're going to look silly and it will probably effect the decision to keep you or not. If you are kept on worry about in two years when the money stops.

PS I'm trying this ridiculous fad of using multiple punctuation for absolutely no reason - I'm not seeing the benefit in all honesty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry.... I was not clear in what I was saying there! I WILL most definitely be entering the scheme given that I am accepted....

I just would like advise on whether I should look for a salary review despite the fact that this scheme would bring my income to an acceptable level!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

neaideabh wrote: »
    Sorry.... I was not clear in what I was saying there! I WILL most definitely be entering the scheme given that I am accepted....

I just would like advise on whether I should look for a salary review despite the fact that this scheme would bring my income to an acceptable level!

Well why not I guess, although some have obviously cast doubt over the scheme. You may be told to get lost but at least you won't have appeared uncooperative. Apologies for picking up your intention incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Out of curiosity How do you figure that any money received from this scheme by your employers will be used to boost your salary? From what I understand of this scheme it was created to off set wages for employers ,provided they could create a full time position for someone who is long term unemployed.So would it not just be used towards your E20K?

Also you are working as maternity cover.Is that not a temporary position which usually lasts between 6 and 12 months? Surely this means you would not qualify for this scheme in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

26. I get very busy for the summer months and would like to hire somebody to work full-time for the summer months – am I eligible to apply for the JobsPlus Incentive?

No. Part-time employment and jobs which are short-term and/or seasonal will not be eligible under the JobsPlus Incentive.

Odd there is no reference to a maternity cover contract, the employer just has to call jobplus if an employee leaves. Would it not come under a short term contract?

Advertisement