Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to be buying a motorbike for the first time, a few questions inside :D

• 09-11-2013 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi guys, been reading a lot about the IBT and the new restrictions that have been put in place.

I've read all the topics about the recommended bikes and the likes and was wondering if you guys thought that a Ninja 250r would be a decent bike to start on? I like the look and style of it and managed to get a quote on a provisional license of 690 euro, which I was happy enough about.

If you wouldn't recommend the Ninja, what would you guys recommend? I'm a 23 year old male, 85kg's and 5ft 10.

I was also looking at the Honda CBR (I guess you can tell which style of bike I'm into XD).

I'm hoping to start getting lessons in the new year and am just doing my research early. Would you guys recommend getting a bike before I start my lessons or wait until I've had a few?

Thanks guys,

Niall

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

GWNiall wrote: »
    Hi guys, been reading a lot about the IBT and the new restrictions that have been put in place.

I've read all the topics about the recommended bikes and the likes and was wondering if you guys thought that a Ninja 250r would be a decent bike to start on? I like the look and style of it and managed to get a quote on a provisional license of 690 euro, which I was happy enough about.

If you wouldn't recommend the Ninja, what would you guys recommend? I'm a 23 year old male, 85kg's and 5ft 10.

I was also looking at the Honda CBR (I guess you can tell which style of bike I'm into XD).

I'm hoping to start getting lessons in the new year and am just doing my research early. Would you guys recommend getting a bike before I start my lessons or wait until I've had a few?

Thanks guys,

Niall

I'll be brutally honest, taking the advice of my IBT instructor, you are much better off to do the training first.

What a lot of people do is buy a bike, do the training and realize what it's really like.

I see your into sports bikes, there's a huge difference in starting out on one of these for the first time as compared to a commuter.

It's personal choice but what I did was started out on a commuter until my confidence rose, as like I said, riding a motorbike for the first time is not like you might think it is.

After a few months of getting to grips with the road and the rules and traffic and such, I then sold my commuter for a sports bike.

One thing I did realize is that if I had of bought a sports bike before I did my IBT, well I wouldn't have been able to hack it.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get a Ninja, it's a lovely bike, but before you make up your mind, do your IBT and get used to motorbikes and being on a main road and such, then with the advice of your IBT instructor, progress on to find the right bike for yourself.

Happy motorcycling! :D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Thanks guys,

Niall

The Ninja 250r isn't a true sportsbike. It's really a standard bike with sport bike styling. It would definately be noob friendly, but you might find it underpowered after a couple of months. It's also fairly expensive for a 250cc bike.

Another point is that if you get the Ninja 250r, you'll have to rent a bigger bike for your driving test.

At 23, you will get the A2 learner permit.

When are you 24?

If you wait until you're 24 can get the full A learner permit and ride an unrestricted bike. You will also avoid a costly conversion course from the A2 to A licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

I have a ninja 250r and it's far from under powered and I weigh about 80kgs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I agree that the "majority" of lads would out grow a 250cc after a few months. Dont get me wrong they are a lovely bike and very forgiving like alot of smaller bikes. I agree that starting out on an upright bike would be advantageous in relation to comfort and the high would give you a better view all round.

And if I am correct getting a 250cc bike now will not get you the new A2 licence as it needs to be a minimum of 395cc now....

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭ccmp

You have direct access once you're over 24. Worth waiting. Would also suggest waiting until after IBT to pick a bike. You will most likely have the opportunity to try a couple of bikes when doing the IBT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Never mind just having the opportunity to try bikes during IBT.... there is the absolutely massive benefit of knowing what you are doing to have a test ride on the bike you are thinking of buying and knowing if something feels off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

I know I'm fairly light in comparison being 69 kgs, but I don't find my ninja 250 underpowered at all and I don't think you will either op, lovely bike to start off with, everyone's different but I think I'll be hanging onto my ninja for a good few years. Different strokes for different folks but as a beginner bike you can't go far wrong with the ninja. downside alright is to rent a bike on the day of test, my ibt instructor said I can rent his bandit 600cc (which I did my entire ibt with)with an hour lesson beforehand for €100 so it's not too bad.
    But maybe do your ibt first then decide what to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭GWNiall

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've just turned 23 there, end of August. So would prefer not to wait until next September to take the test. It's also a means of getting to and from college, sick of driving/dart.

I think I might wait until I get a few lessons before hand before I buy a bike listening to what you guys are saying. Also, why would I have to get a bigger bike for the test? Is there a restriction or what is the problem?

Thanks again guys,

Niall

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've just turned 23 there, end of August. So would prefer not to wait until next September to take the test. It's also a means of getting to and from college, sick of driving/dart.

I think I might wait until I get a few lessons before hand before I buy a bike listening to what you guys are saying. Also, why would I have to get a bigger bike for the test? Is there a restriction or what is the problem?

Thanks again guys,

Niall

I think there's a thread somewhere explaining the new rules, but basically what my instructor was saying was that the lads in Europe for some mad reason decided that new riders should be starting off on more powerful bikes 600cc, don't know why tho, I'm open to correction, gives me a headache reading the new rules to be honest. Barely understand them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

bandit 600. don't get a small bike you'll become bored and outgrow it.

• Advertisement

I think there's a thread somewhere explaining the new rules, but basically what my instructor was saying was that the lads in Europe for some mad reason decided that new riders should be starting off on more powerful bikes 600cc, don't know why tho, I'm open to correction, gives me a headache reading the new rules to be honest. Barely understand them.

The power is age dependent.

The RSA explain them really badly, but Roadskill has a stickied thread at the top with all the rules.

For you OP, it means 16 hours of lessons, which I advise you do over 2 consecutive days. Having your IBT fully done means you'll be far more confident right off the bat, never mind that you'll be able to test ride the bike you're looking at and now if it feels wrong.

The power is age dependent.

The RSA explain them really badly, but Roadskill has a stickied thread at the top with all the rules.

For you OP, it means 16 hours of lessons, which I advise you do over 2 consecutive days. Having your IBT fully done means you'll be far more confident right off the bat, never mind that you'll be able to test ride the bike you're looking at and now if it feels wrong.

Over 2 days? That seems awfully fast. What's the best place to get it done and what roughly is the price? I've heard between 600 - 800 euro.

Also, where would everybody recommend to buy a bike. I was looking on adverts and the likes but would I be better off going to a dealership and paying a bit more?

Over 2 days? That seems awfully fast. What's the best place to get it done and what roughly is the price? I've heard between 600 - 800 euro.

Also, where would everybody recommend to buy a bike. I was looking on adverts and the likes but would I be better off going to a dealership and paying a bit more?

Where are you based? Did mine in curaheen park over four days in cork, 500 euro, I found it very good

If you're doing it over more than 2 days you're not gonna be sharing with anyone most likely. So costs will skyrocket.

I did mine in Waterford for 350 the first time and then stepped up to the A Learner Permit (new style) after I turned 24, down there as well for 200.

2 Days isn't that fast unless you are a complete and utter newbie who has never even sat on a bike, never mind saying start one.... I had messed around on my one before IBT a little at home. Saved me a few hours I'd imagine of learning the simple stuff like how to start and move off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shaneh123

Hi Niall,

Just finished my IBT with Peter Bookey in Aaron Rider Training. Based in Finglas. I can't recommend him enough. Does the 4 modules over 2 days, great fun and loads of time spent on the bike. Really knows what he is talking about.

Im based in Dublin, so what would be a good place to look at doing the IBT and where are good places to purchase 2nd hand bikes?

Thanks to everyone for the help

Lookbehind you on here has trained nearly half the lads that currently travel out on the sunday spins....send him a PM and he will look after you. He is by far the most competitive on prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

As above, lookbehindyou trained me a few years ago and iv never looked back

Highly recommend him for the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thumbs up for lookbehindyou. Done my IBT with him and will be doing my A license conversion with him soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Thumbs up for Roadskill also, great instructor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

I have some training with lookbehindyou soon I'm sure it'll be great, he's definitely a sound bloke to deal with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Thanks guys,

Niall

I have a Ninja 250R, and I still love it 2 years after buying it. I've ridden a good few larger bikes at this stage (I own another 800CC bike and have ridden friends' bikes, etc). I was going to sell it, but I realised it's too handy for the city.

I have ridden other 250s too, and I much prefer the Ninja over anyhing similar. It's reliable, easy to work on, easy on petrol, but most of all, it's *extremely* agile. It's like you're riding a bicycle when you're filtering.

It's not "underpowered" for a 250CC. It depends what you want. I can cruise up and down the M50 at 130/140 kmh no problem. It's starting to push it a bit at 140kmh. I've done 170kmh on it before (according to the clock), and max speed is supposed to be 160kmh. Would I like more power? Sure, but not if it means a bigger/heavier/less agile bike. I've seen lots of 600CCs get stuck where I don't, in traffic.

But yeah, listen to the others, for the sake of getting your full A, buying a 250 might not make much sense for now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

rat_race wrote: »
    I have a Ninja 250R, and I still love it 2 years after buying it. I've ridden a good few larger bikes at this stage (I own another 800CC bike and have ridden friends' bikes, etc). I was going to sell it, but I realised it's too handy for the city.

I have ridden other 250s too, and I much prefer the Ninja over anyhing similar. It's reliable, easy to work on, easy on petrol, but most of all, it's *extremely* agile. It's like you're riding a bicycle when you're filtering.

It's not "underpowered" for a 250CC. It depends what you want. I can cruise up and down the M50 at 130/140 kmh no problem. It's starting to push it a bit at 140kmh. I've done 170kmh on it before (according to the clock), and max speed is supposed to be 160kmh. Would I like more power? Sure, but not if it means a bigger/heavier/less agile bike. I've seen lots of 600CCs get stuck where I don't, in traffic.

But yeah, listen to the others, for the sake of getting your full A, buying a 250 might not make much sense for now...

Do you commute along the N11 on it the odd time?

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Do you commute along the N11 on it the odd time?

Yep...I do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

rat_race wrote: »
    Yep...I do...

I'll say hello next time so!

Do. A '10, green...on my '13 Tiger about 50% of the time too...stick up both legs and both arms, and I'll know it's you...

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I'll say hello next time so!

Get a room ffs....:pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement