Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restoring, charging unused battery

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

cerastes wrote: »
    Yes I think I will be buying a new battery,
    *Im going to give it a last go though, at this stage, even if it works, Id be concerned about relying on it, if I can get it going I'll see how the charge stays,

where is a good place to buy a battery anyone?
    Im thinking bricks and mortar but cost is a factor, so as cheap as possible for as good a battery as possible, so maybe online.
    Look around for a MotoBatt battery, easy to spot they are yellow.
    AGM batteries and more resistant to self discharge then the standard lead acid batteries.
    Lots of shops sell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Look around for a MotoBatt battery, easy to spot they are yellow.
    AGM batteries and more resistant to self discharge then the standard lead acid batteries.
    Lots of shops sell them.

any idea what it will cost me for a bike battery, is there much of a range of price?

The last MotoBatt I got was a MTX9 and I think it was around 60-70 or so.
    I think they are very reasonable pricewise compared to a basic sealed lead acid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

The last MotoBatt I got was a MTX9 and I think it was around 60-70 or so.
    I think they are very reasonable pricewise compared to a basic sealed lead acid.

Mine is a lead acid, it was fine when it was in use, but Im not sure how much cheaper they'd be
    its definitely a replacement, just not coming back to life.

cerastes wrote: »
    Mine is a lead acid, it was fine when it was in use, but Im not sure how much cheaper they'd be
    its definitely a replacement, just not coming back to life.
    Batteries left dead for a day or two can be unrecoverable.
    I also bought a good charger, already had a Optimate but bought a Procharger from Louis as well. It does Lithium Ion as well as SLA, AGM etc.
    It can recover some batteries but they'll never be 100% again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Batteries left dead for a day or two can be unrecoverable..

On a previous bike I had heatd grips wired direct to the battery. I went away on two weeks holiday to spain and left the grips switched on by accident. Came home and not a peep out of it, not even a neutral light. Charged it overnight, got lights but not enough to start it. Then left it on charge for 2 days solid and it worked fine, used the bike every day and sold it over a year later with the same battery.
    So try leaving it on charge for a couple of days.

Fr Dougal wrote: »
    On a previous bike I had heatd grips wired direct to the battery. I went away on two weeks holiday to spain and left the grips switched on by accident. Came home and not a peep out of it, not even a neutral light. Charged it overnight, got lights but not enough to start it. Then left it on charge for 2 days solid and it worked fine, used the bike every day and sold it over a year later with the same battery.
    So try leaving it on charge for a couple of days.
    I have two battery chargers now, both can be left connected for a long time with no ill effects, generally I find that if batteries are used regularly they last a lot longer than ones that aren't used regularly.
    I highly recommend Optimate chargers, I have mine for years now and it still works well.
    I got the Louis Procharger XL as well as I needed one for the car that was intelligent and I figured that as it does LiPo and LiIon that it should future proof me somewhat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Anyone used those Oxford solar chargers?
    Are they any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Alfonzito

Probably worth leaving the battery on a charger overnight or longer to see if the voltage will increase to 13.5 or so. If it still can't turn the starter over probably time to think about buying a new one. There are plenty of battery revival vids on you tube, but expert advice is that in the best circumstance, they can only get a battery back to about 80% power and but sometimes they don't work at all.

Advertisement