Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baxi Solo 3 PFL 50 gas boiler - Pilot light keeps turning off

• 10-11-2013 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

This just started tonight — Baxi Solo 3 PFL 50 gas boiler was running fine but then we noticed the radiators getting cold. Looking at the boiler all the lights were on bar the burner light and the blue pilot flame was out. The fans were running as well! Then after about 15 minutes the blue flame came back on but only for about a minute!

This went on all night until the boiler went off at the timer!

Would this be the thermostat or something else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Could be a number of things, solenoid, thermocouple, ASD, gas valve, etc.
    You will need a RGI to fix & he will be able to test each component to diagnose the culprit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

As Shane said it could be any of those things , but I'm goin to put money on a partially blocked pilot injector , a good service should sort it out .

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

The boiler was only serviced 2 months ago so I was guessing it is a component failure!

It Dsnt matter if it was serviced yesterday , a pilot injector can block at anytime . Then you have to take into account did the lad who serviced it actually remove and clean it in the first place . I'm not ruling out a component failure but I'd still leave my money on the injector.

Lets hope it is a blocked injector and that it can be cleaned as I know from past experiences that RGI's can charge a fortune for components!

• Advertisement

atlantean wrote: »
    Lets hope it is a blocked injector and that it can be cleaned as I know from past experiences that RGI's can charge a fortune for components!

I know components are expensive but I like many RGI don't charge anything but the price the part has cost me.

But I do hope a RGI with good lungs can put your problems to bed.

gary71 wrote: »
    I know components are expensive but I like many RGI don't charge anything but the price the part has cost me.

You obviously would not charge €275 for a PCB for this boiler plus installation — that is what I was quoted when we had an RGI look at a problem before!

It is like every other industry — not everyone is the same ;)

You obviously would not charge €275 for a PCB for this boiler plus installation — that is what I was quoted when we had an RGI look at a problem before!

Given a choice I'd give a bloody good kicking to the chancers working as RGI's but I'm a nice guy I'd let them drive their taxis to the hospital.

(Just to clarify I'm only joking I don't condone the use of violence on rogue RGI's if you do feel the need to give them a slap please don't say "Gary said")

Also I don't know the price of the Pcb and at times prices over the counter can be brutal(unfortunately)

To be fair , solo pcbs are about 170-ish so including labour that's not extreme

Egass13 wrote: »
    To be fair , solo pcbs are about 170-ish so including labour that's not extreme

270 + labour(if I'm reading it right)

• Advertisement

My bad , I have Guinness goggles on . In that case its a rip off .

Bord Gais are the worst, corporate gangsters :cool: the only decent service they offer is wallet/purse emptying, €800:pac: to replace the pcbs on a chaffataux britony and €330 plus fitting for a expansion vessel on a Heatline, how do they get away with it:confused:

Bord Gais are the worst, corporate gangsters :cool: the only decent service they offer is wallet/purse emptying, €800:pac: to replace the pcbs on a chaffataux britony and €330 plus fitting for a expansion vessel on a Heatline, how do they get away with it:confused:

The name of the brand Gary

The chaff job was done by me for €290(only one board needed), even on a bad day those boards would cost €500 and that's pushing it.

And as for the Heatline job I believe a external expansion vessel was fitted.

Forgive me, after my pontificating did you mean brand as in Bord Gais then your absolutely right, I'm a bit over protective with my Chaffatauxs:o

Forgive me, after my pontificating did you mean brand as in Bord Gais then your absolutely right, I'm a bit over protective with my Chaffatauxs:o

That's exactly what I meant pal , BG ! Your forgiven ;)

You did read it right Gary ;)

Advertisement