Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal shelters - link NSFW

• 10-11-2013 4:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

Mod Note: Extremely upsetting image attached. Please do not click on it and then complain about it in this thread.You have been warned. It's incredibly upsetting. The term pound,shelter and rescue mean very different things than in the US

Sorry if this is inappropriate mods, I want to discuss this and this seemed like the best place. I'm sure you'll delete if necessary.

The picture is disturbing and if you're sensitive you should probably not click it.

http://imgur.com/gallery/VtzdPHN

I know it's imgur, but there's a huge body of text there under the sole picture. It made me so sad reading it.

Basically, it's a person who works in an animal shelter in the US condemning people who buy pets with no thought for the future. i.e. the kind of people who think a puppy is for Christmas, not for life. They condemn the people by telling them what happens to their animals once they surrender them to shelters.

What I want to know is, since the person is discussing the US, do our shelters have the same practices? I'd assume they're somewhat different, but to what extent?

It makes me so sad to think about this, but I do feel people should know the consequences of their actions before they make the mistake of getting a pet that they can't take care of for life. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dangerus06

o my god ,people never learn a dog can be more loyal than your best friend,not a 100% sure i think ireland only put a dog down if its sick ,i got 2 dogs at the moment there both asleep on either side of me on the couch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Didn't we already have this posted the other day, minus the photo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

In Ireland surrenders get 24 hours to be rehomed or if the pound is full can be killed immediately.

Strays get 5 days before being killed. Some pounds are better than others. My local pound is terrible, doesn't even like people coming in.

We got Lexi from a pound in Dublin. She is a staffie and was in the pound for 5 weeks before the rescue took her in so she is extremely lucky to be alive.

Some people are still unaware of how pounds work and most don't want to know.

toadfly wrote: »
    In Ireland surrenders get 24 hours to be rehomed or if the pound is full can be killed immediately.

Strays get 5 days before being killed. Some pounds are better than others. My local pound is terrible, doesn't even like people coming in.

We got Lexi from a pound in Dublin. She is a staffie and was in the pound for 5 weeks before the rescue took her in so she is extremely lucky to be alive.

Some people are still unaware of how pounds work and most don't want to know.

She was lucky, a lot of pounds won't rehome RB dogs, another reason to hate that stupid list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The statistics are shocking. I'm in Clare and our pound has a 41% kill rate for last year. That is despite all the good work done by rescues taking some of the dogs and the rehoming efforts of the pound. Buying or rescuing is a personal choice and I'd never criticise someone for buying, but it isn't for me. I'd love a Bernese, but if we ever get a dog it'll be from a pound or rescue.

I feel for the rescues that are already struggling with overcrowding. Many will stop rehoming at the end of the month until January, but they'll be inundated after Christmas with unwanted Puppies and Kittens bought for the Christmas market:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

"They say there are over 800,000 dogs in Ireland... If each lives 10 years on average, that means we need homes for around 80,000 dogs per year.... Rescues are currently only managing to find homes for 10% of this number, so breeders & unwanted litters provide 90%. Plenty of room for improvement here..." - Pete Wedderburn commenting on the National Animal Welfare Forum yesterday.

Advertisement