Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What 4meter trees or hedging for privacy?

• 10-11-2013 7:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭

I need help selecting some trees or hedging, I would like an instant screen so don't mind paying a bit extra for some that have grown to 2/3m already.
    Ideally when fully grown the would max out at about 5 or 6 meters, they will be planted near enough to a wall so something that grows out strong in years to come could nearly push down the wall.
    I'm trying to cover 55 meters in length, the main objective is to cover the ugly brick wall and prevent the two storey house behind looking in the back windows.

Any suggestions most welcome. I would like year round coverage. I already have 4m leylandii at one side, I'm thinking just the same again but don't want to wait for them to grow, if I could get them at 2/3m it would be great but just can't find them anywhere, also oh isn't a huge fan and would like something prettier.

Is there any options that would give edibile fruit or berries?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've seen Red Robin http://www.hedges.ie/red-robin.html used as a hedge and I think it's gorgeous. Grows very tall and dense, but still pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I need help selecting some trees or hedging, I would like an instant screen so don't mind paying a bit extra for some that have grown to 2/3m already.
    Ideally when fully grown the would max out at about 5 or 6 meters, they will be planted near enough to a wall so something that grows out strong in years to come could nearly push down the wall.
    I'm trying to cover 55 meters in length, the main objective is to cover the ugly brick wall and prevent the two storey house behind looking in the back windows.

Any suggestions most welcome. I would like year round coverage. I already have 4m leylandii at one side, I'm thinking just the same again but don't want to wait for them to grow, if I could get them at 2/3m it would be great but just can't find them anywhere, also oh isn't a huge fan and would like something prettier.

Is there any options that would give edibile fruit or berries?

An established evergreen 2-3m hedge will cost you quite a lot more than a bit extra. Is there a particular reason why you appear to be considering hedge as the only solution?

One would also need to know more about site aspects, ground conditions and growing space available before making any recommendations (incl types with have flower/berries).

Post a few pics would be a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm open to any option, everything considered. It's just a standard 2mtr brick wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Could plant a few Blackthorn bushes, you'd have sloes coming into winter. Some places sell them 2m tall already. Only thing is they lose leave in winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

pyrachanta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I'm not a huge fan of bamboo but it's fast growing, cheap and managable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭macraignil

Is there any options that would give edibile fruit or berries?[/QUOTE]

There are many fruit trees that are sold at 2 to 3 metres in height. For the length of the wall you describe you could fit a good range of fruit, and the root stock of most will keep the mature trees from getting too big. If your wall is south facing the ground will be slightly warmer than average all year around so you could include even some of the more delicate varieties.

If you wish to cover the wall year round you could also plant native evergreen Ivy. I have found a number of the apple, pear and cherry trees bought bareroot from Lidle and Aldi, over the winter months, have settled in well for me and are priced at less than half of the price displayed for these trees from garden centres. Pear trees of different varieties are said to be compatible for cross pollinating and giving better crops. If you can find fruit varieties that you like to eat yourself it would make sense to plant more of these varieties. The Braeburn apples and Conference pears I have grown have been particularly tasty. Most temperate fruit will loose there leaves in winter so you only have the branches to block the view over the wall in the winter. If this is your priority Holly makes a nice barrier but you would be luck to find some grown to the size you are looking for.

Advertisement