Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transalp or Africa Twin / Alternatives

• 10-11-2013 10:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

I've decided i need a change. I've had my cb 500 for 3 years and I'm bored with it, and want a bigger (cc), taller, reliable bike.
    I've taken a transalp out and was quite impressed and can be got for under 1500.
    However I was talking to an Africa Twin owner and he says its his favourite, loads of torque, ultra reliable and has 350,000 (I presume km) on the clock(courier). However they come in at about €3000.

So I'm torn, Transalp now or wait a month or 2 to save for the twin?

Alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

save! africa twin by far and away a better bike (imho) getting hard to find a real good one, get onto the owners groups for what to look for, output shaft where the sprocket sits is a weak point if the chain is consistently run to tight and its an engine out and cases split ($$$$) job to replace it. the translap is basically a deauville which is basically a souless but reliable bike and not far above your cb500 performance wise.

fuel pumps can be dicky on the africa's, reg/rec is another weak point but i'm led to believe that a yamaha one (R1 i think) will fit or can be fitted, fit annakee 2's and it'll surprise a few bigger sportier bikes, its on the list for my next bike along with a super tenere.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Suzuki DL650 V-Strom maybe. Satisfies your requirements; also economical, comfortable, many of them about.
    Sometimes problems with lightweight wiring on starter button and headlight but straight-forward fixes available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Had an Africa twin a few years ago and loved it to bits but the crank failed, big dollars to replace and if you check the net you will see its a common problem I never would have thought, any way I searched all Ireland and the UK for a replacement engine and after 18 months gave up and sold it for parts.
    Really sad as I loved it so much Im now a BMW man and will stick with the BMW badge, some people say they are expensive for parts, well I get every thing from the UK very very very cheap and no matter how old the bike is you can buy every screw and washer you want and shipped any where in the world in days.
    Love my BMW's:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I had an F650 years ago, and although it was quick enough off the lights, it floundered a bit on motorways. Although in fairness I tend to stay away from motorways these days. Also, mine was expensive to repair (the back bearings went)
    The vstrom 650 is sort of in the price range of the Africa Twin, but I just don't like the look of it. It looks like a bike that expects to be polished.
    So now Im thinking super tenere, and in the summer a one way flight to Germany for an African Twin...?

• Advertisement

For two up with all your gear the F650 is not great but as a single cylinder easy to work on, very very very good on petrol, and make a great bike to see Europe on alone they will cruise at 120 kph all day long and as I said once you keep away from the BMW dealer wont cost the earth.
    As for the rear bearing check out http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=65&Ct=SA&SbCt=BA_15_65_SA_35 7 pounds each
    these are amazing little bikes that can hold up against the best of them.
    www.ukgser.com

ha, would've been great if I'd changed the bearings before the wheel collapsed, but yea I liked it. I'm steering toward a 750 now though.

ha, would've been great if I'd changed the bearings before the wheel collapsed, but yea I liked it. I'm steering toward a 750 now though.

Good man nothing like a well serviced bike, check out a good 1150

I'd had it a week when it collapsed, you live and learn.Never thought of a gs though, thought they were out of my price range (max 2500) , this one seems ok, up the north though with a dodgy disc, so add another 300 onto the asking. ( Tax vrt and disk) about 2.5 k
    BMW R 1100 GS 96

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Transalp is a fine bike if you need something now. I'd be saving for an 1150GS though. Probably the best bike I've ridden.

• Advertisement

I like the shaft drives alright, (driven ntvs and reveres on and off for a couple of years) but the 1150gs comes in at about double of what I'm willing to spend!

still reckon its hard to see passed the africa twin or tenere, 1100/1150 gs's are not without their problems either.... output splines, rear diff's, hall sensors although i do agree parts can be got cheap from the Uk, trouble is with your kind of budget (and mine!) we are buying at the bottom end of the market, just to throw a curveball in there how about a triumph tiger 900???

Knew a courier who had a tiger, never checked the oil and drove it for a year before it gave up on him. Just filled it with oil and off he went again. I've heard they're good and its the type of style I like, but again financially out of my league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I like the shaft drives alright, (driven ntvs and reveres on and off for a couple of years) but the 1150gs comes in at about double of what I'm willing to spend!
    I had a 650GS for two years and sold it on for the same money I bought it.

You could pick one up and keep saving, sell it on and buy something else.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TIGER-955I-2003-03-PLATE-LIKE-GS-MULTISTADA-TRANSALP-/271316328374?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3f2bb69fb6

not sure on the colour but hmmmmm i've a trophy 900 for the last year and not laid a hand on it apart from servicing!

I've only been looking on donedeal, adverts and autotrader, never thought of looking on ebay, I'm a bit wary of ebay though

I've only been looking on donedeal, adverts and autotrader, never thought of looking on ebay, I'm a bit wary of ebay though

hard to buy a bike alright but if its from a dealer then you should be ok, i find if you talk on the phone and explain the situation as to where we are then normally people will be very accomodating and answer any questions and email any pics of specifics to you. google is also your friend with dealers also google the phone numbers in the ad's that can throw up some surprising results!

I'm more wary of spoof bids to put the price up, plus they seem to be predominantly in the UK. That could add an extra 500 to the cost. (when you add up going across,exchange rates, vrt, and taxing it).
    There must be a word for wanting something thats double the price of what you can afford :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I'd had it a week when it collapsed, you live and learn.Never thought of a gs though, thought they were out of my price range (max 2500) , this one seems ok, up the north though with a dodgy disc, so add another 300 onto the asking. ( Tax vrt and disk) about 2.5 k
    BMW R 1100 GS 96

If GS's are on the wish list I'd say:
    - don't overlook the R11xxR (unfaired) models; or the RT/RS but I suspect you won't like all that fairing plastic. These models are often slightly cheaper then the GS
    - best to get '97 onwards R1100 due to gearbox problems and an R1150 without the servo-assist brakes which came in 2003-04.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Don't forget the TDM850. Similar style bike and there is a couple on donedeal in your price range

• Advertisement

^^^^
    Were you looking out your window Father? :D

yBLuWjwl.png

Hopefully I'll be driving this home later on!
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll let you know what happens

And I did..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I've decided i need a change. I've had my cb 500 for 3 years and I'm bored with it, and want a bigger (cc), taller, reliable bike.
    I've taken a transalp out and was quite impressed and can be got for under 1500.
    However I was talking to an Africa Twin owner and he says its his favourite, loads of torque, ultra reliable and has 350,000 (I presume km) on the clock(courier). However they come in at about €3000.

So I'm torn, Transalp now or wait a month or 2 to save for the twin?

Alternatives?

I've just bought a 98 Transalp. Bought it as an in-between bike while Im waiting to find the Ktm 990 smt I am after.
    I previously had an 07 er6n for nearly six years, which I loved. But felt time was right to sell, and thought I'd pick the Ktm up fairly quickly, which hasnt been the case.
    Anyway, the transalp is lovely and comfortable, big wide seat, and not too tall as Im 5' 8'' ish and can still get both feet down more or less. It has a bit of torque, but its not in any way quick. The er6n, which isnt exactly a missile, was far quicker.
    I wouldnt class a Transalp as exciting but its solid and reliable, comfortable, practical and useful. I don't regret buying it and would love to keep it when I eventually get the Ktm, but thats dependant on the oul finances.
    But if you are bored with the cb 500, this isnt gonna be a big step up, and its not what I would call an exciting bike, tho it is a good bike.
    Cant speak for the Africa Twins, they do seem to go for so much more money than Transalps even tho they are not that great a leap forward, I personally wouldnt waste the extra money myself.
    Best of luck with whatever you choose. :D

Got the TDM850 :D Nice and torquey, i'd say you can lift it no bother. Also real smooth. Feel like pulling a sickey in work tomorrow. I'm loving it. :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Were you looking out your window Father? :D
    Haha. Indeed. Never twigged me gaff I the photos

Got the TDM850 :D Nice and torquey, i'd say you can lift it no bother. Also real smooth. Feel like pulling a sickey in work tomorrow. I'm loving it. :D:D:D
    Wow. You dont hang about. Looks nice. Hope you have loads of fun on it. Have a tdm myself and do a round trip of 80klms per day. No bother.

Advertisement