Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expansion Vessel in Hot Press - install

• 10-11-2013 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Need to put an expansion vessel on to the heating system, sealed. Had an RGI guy out to service the boiler, and basically there are too many rads on the system for the inbuilt vessel in the boiler to handle the expansion. So he suggested I go and fit a new vessel onto the system.

Now I've done plumbing before, replaced pumps etc., so am happy to do it myself.

But, all the recommendations seem to say to install it on the return near to the boiler. Which I can't do, as there's physically no room to install it.

Can I put it in the hot press (lots of head room), and if so, which pipe can I put it off? The CH flow or return to the cylinder (the return is the bottom one?) The hot press is also where the feed loop is. Can I tee it off the pipe (CH side!!) that the feed loop goes into?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Put it on the return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Patrickof wrote: »
    Hi,

Need to put an expansion vessel on to the heating system, sealed. Had an RGI guy out to service the boiler, and basically there are too many rads on the system for the inbuilt vessel in the boiler to handle the expansion. So he suggested I go and fit a new vessel onto the system.

Now I've done plumbing before, replaced pumps etc., so am happy to do it myself.

But, all the recommendations seem to say to install it on the return near to the boiler. Which I can't do, as there's physically no room to install it.

Can I put it in the hot press (lots of head room), and if so, which pipe can I put it off? The CH flow or return to the cylinder (the return is the bottom one?) The hot press is also where the feed loop is. Can I tee it off the pipe (CH side!!) that the feed loop goes into?

Thanks

Yes you can fit it in the hot press.
    Closer to the boiler is perferred but not all that important in your case as you will also have the orignal pressure vessel on the boiler.
    Double check the air in the new vessel with a car pump before fitting as there not always fully filled with air. 1 bar if upstairs. 1.25 if downstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Grand, so. Attached is the hot press. I also notice that the shower pump is a tee off the hot feed from the top of the cylinder, shouldn't that have its own connection in to the tank (essex?)

Anyway, first problems first. I notice that the return pipe feels slightly hotter than the flow (the lower one in the photo, with the stopcock)? Could they be piped the wrong way around? (We only moved in here a few weeks ago)

I'm thinking of connecting the expansion vessel to the RHS of the stop cock (should I remove the stopcock altogether as its supposed to be sealed/pressurised?) - Just in case someone accidentally close the valve.

And, before someone points it out, I do see the elec box just below the pace I'm thinking of going in.

Grand, so. Attached is the hot press. I also notice that the shower pump is a tee off the hot feed from the top of the cylinder, shouldn't that have its own connection in to the tank (essex?)

Anyway, first problems first. I notice that the return pipe feels slightly hotter than the flow (the lower one in the photo, with the stopcock)? Could they be piped the wrong way around? (We only moved in here a few weeks ago)

I'm thinking of connecting the expansion vessel to the RHS of the stop cock (should I remove the stopcock altogether as its supposed to be sealed/pressurised?) - Just in case someone accidentally close the valve.

And, before someone points it out, I do see the elec box just below the pace I'm thinking of going in.
    Pipes + wires are sloppy = sloppy installer.

Filling loop should have pressure gauge and check out why cold feed and expansion pipes are still there. They should have been capped in hotpress instead of attic.
    Valve on cylindre is to restrict/balance flow to coil and does not isolate it compleatly. Fit vessel where you have room + good support + leave room to get to the air valve on vessel.

I don't think that's an expansion pipe, the attic was converted to living space and there's 2 rads up there, so I guess thats the feed and return for them.

There is a pressure guage on the boiler but you're right, its a 2 person job to recharge the system, one looking at the guage and one working the valve! Would be handier to have the guage beside the valve.

• Advertisement

I don't think that's an expansion pipe, the attic was converted to living space and there's 2 rads up there, so I guess thats the feed and return for them.

There is a pressure guage on the boiler but you're right, its a 2 person job to recharge the system, one looking at the guage and one working the valve! Would be handier to have the guage beside the valve.

Your correct, those pipes are now supplying attic rads.
    Turn off attic rads when not in use or they will still heat and draw all the heat from the hot water in cylindre the way its piped. Natural convection of heat to rads in attic = your cylindre will never hold the heat for long.

Didn't think of those rads drawing the heat, any suggestions for how to re-organize that so its not such a drain? Its in use as a playroom, but there's 2 couches up there and plenty of space - someone (me) is hoping Santy might bring a nice new tv........

When I'm at it, the pump in the photo only feeds the shower (directly behind the cylinder, through the wall). Its rated 1.5 bar, but is fairly poor. There's 3/4 inch inlets/outlets to the pump, but only a half inch feed from the hot/cold and a half inch to the shower. Should they all be 3/4 inch?

Didn't think of those rads drawing the heat, any suggestions for how to re-organize that so its not such a drain? Its in use as a playroom, but there's 2 couches up there and plenty of space - someone (me) is hoping Santy might bring a nice new tv........

When I'm at it, the pump in the photo only feeds the shower (directly behind the cylinder, through the wall). Its rated 1.5 bar, but is fairly poor. There's 3/4 inch inlets/outlets to the pump, but only a half inch feed from the hot/cold and a half inch to the shower. Should they all be 3/4 inch?

1/2" to shower is normal.

Attic rads should have been T'ed of heating pipes under the floor boards lower than cylindre.

Good luck with Santa....
    Santa only delivers after you announce expensive holiday I've discovered.....

Hope u like 12" TV's

Advertisement