Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotovator

• 10-11-2013 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at the possibility of buying a rotovator for my garden.

I have approx 1/2 acre and while I have some of it in veg at the moment, I'd like to do a lot more.

Any advice on makes/models and what I could expect to say. I know the difference between a tiller and a rotovator, by the way!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I would recommend Yanmar (diesel models), extremely durable and you might consider the model with interchangeable functions (rotovator, tiller, sickle etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

I have a Pasquali and it is a superb robust machine well capable of doing a half acre of work, it is powered by a 15.3 bhp single cylinder diesel engine that runs on the smell of diesel. It has 4 forward and 1 reverse gears and has a high and low pto speeds. They come with several attachments, mine has approx. 4foot wide rotovator, reversible plough, and cutting blade. I rarely use the plough as the rotovator is so powerful I just go straight into the soil after a grass cut with the blade and it is well able to go down 12 inches into the ground. The gearbox is reversible depending the attachment used, it also has a hitch for trailering. Don't know if they have an Irish distributor but there is an agent North of London who is quite helpful, Google Pasquali you should find him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

if you really want to splash out and like vintage try Howard Gem
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um9L-b27nBY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

All depends on your price range

The Pasquali is likely to set you back 1000euros, which can be hard to justify for domestic use

The Oleo Mac Rotary tiller, is a bit more refined, but still a reliable model and comes in at around 650 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

rje66 wrote: »
    if you really want to splash out and like vintage try Howard Gem
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um9L-b27nBY

Absolutely terrible unless your a petrol head who likes to spend your time taking the engine apart. I have one and it kept breaking down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Theprogardener

The Howard Gem is the best, we have one that was purchased form new in the early 1970's by my father. We still use it, no unnecessary electronics, tough as they come. Be sure to get one with a Hatz diesel engine. We rebuilt the back shaft a number of years ago. The engine has never broken down ever!
    Go for the heaviest machine you can, it is less likely to jump around. "Tip 1" hold the handles loosely, in the event you hit a rock or other the machine will bounce. If you hold it tightly you are at risk of injuring yourself. "Tip 2" if the machine has an offset handle be sure to use it when working near walls or trees. Again if you hit a block or root the machine can bounce and your hand could be caught between wall/tree and machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

I had the extended loan of a Husqvarna CRT-51 5.5HP and it was a pleasure to use. But they are rare, think cost is / was about 1200 new.

It was heavy enough for the job but not as heavy as a diesel. With two planks I could drop the handlebar and drive it up into the back of my Volvo estate which was very handy!

Here's one in use:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA2zbfD5HYQ

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Do you really need one? How many times a year would you use it on 1/2 acre?

Advertisement