Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diep - flavours

Options
  • 10-11-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all,

I could live on food from Diep takeaway - though can't afford it all the time, so I though I start cooking myself.

Most of the ingredients I can get from tesco (veg, meat etc.) but I have no clue what do they use for their sauces. All I have at home is oyster sauce and soy soce.

Could anyone advise me what else do they possibly use so I can just start experimenting myself ?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Diep is Thai food isn't it? There's an epic Thai Green Curry from Curry Addict in the cooking club you could have a look at

Otherwise maybe specify some of the dishes that you like and people might be able to give you pointers, there's a whole rainbow of ingredients you could be using :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭fresheire

Diep is Thai food isn't it? There's an epic Thai Green Curry from Curry Addict in the cooking club you could have a look at

Otherwise maybe specify some of the dishes that you like and people might be able to give you pointers, there's a whole rainbow of ingredients you could be using :)

If you check their menu I'm mainly interested in the "noodles", "wok" and "bangkok street food" - I'm not biggest fan of curries.

Having seen these folks cooking their food I noticed they add some sort of liquids/sauces or smth like that before dumping all the veggies n stuff into them woks. And I wonder what that is - I take that is where the whole flavour comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

various thai flavours such as lemongrass, thai basil, palm sugar, galangal (a ginger type root), kaffir lime leaves & fish sauce (nam pla) will get you close to where they are at. But to replicate these dishes, can be tricky.

tricks like liquidising your garlic and ginger together (into a paste) and then frying them in a little oil, does wonders aswell.

various thai flavours such as lemongrass, thai basil, palm sugar, galangal (a ginger type root), kaffir lime leaves & fish sauce (nam pla) will get you close to where they are at. But to replicate these dishes, can be tricky.

tricks like liquidising your garlic and ginger together (into a paste) and then frying them in a little oil, does wonders aswell.

That's cool. I thought they've been using more exotic ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Don't forget the MSG

• Advertisement

mitosis wrote: »
    Don't forget the MSG

and what's that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

MSG is a flavour enhancer used by chinese restaurants. Its been linked to being very bad for you, lots of studies on it. Funny thing is, if you go into the asian market you'll see bags of it in the aisles for very little!

No way Diep are using MSG though. No doubt they state this on their menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Diep may not be adding MSG to their dishes but basic Thai ingredients like fish sauce are awash with glutamate.

Advertisement