Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separation and college

Options
  • 10-11-2013 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I am engaged and living with my partner. We're both in college at the moment, as he was made redundant a year ago.
    Our relationship isn't going well.. We've been together for 5 years and started living together at a young age (wasn't a great idea) and I think we are going to separate sooner or later... I never thought it would come to this, and basically financially I am dependent on him..
    The problem is, that since we're both in college, I have no job, nothing. He gets social payment (now he's getting back to education) of 312 euro for both of us, because I am his partner. And my parents doesn't live in Ireland anymore. I have friends that I could stay with, but its only temporary. And I don't really want quit college to support myself and I hope I don't have to...
    So my question is, if we separate would I be able to get anything from social welfare? At least to finish off this year of college..
    I would really appreciate if someone replied as soon as possible..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

question21 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am engaged and living with my partner. We're both in college at the moment, as he was made redundant a year ago.
    Our relationship isn't going well.. We've been together for 5 years and started living together at a young age (wasn't a great idea) and I think we are going to separate sooner or later... I never thought it would come to this, and basically financially I am dependent on him..
    The problem is, that since we're both in college, I have no job, nothing. He gets social payment (now he's getting back to education) of 312 euro for both of us, because I am his partner. And my parents doesn't live in Ireland anymore. I have friends that I could stay with, but its only temporary. And I don't really want quit college to support myself and I hope I don't have to...
    So my question is, if we separate would I be able to get anything from social welfare? At least to finish off this year of college..
    I would really appreciate if someone replied as soon as possible..

If someone is receipt of a social welfare payment with a qualified adult payment it is possible to receive two seperate payment of €156 each instead of €312 going to member of the couple

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Better here OP, as this is a Relationship issue.

The Separation and Divorce forum is for those seeking support while going through a separation and/or divorce requiring support or advice on what is involved either through mediation or the courts (excluding as always any and all legal advice).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 question21

Taltos wrote: »
    Better here OP, as this is a Relationship issue.

The Separation and Divorce forum is for those seeking support while going through a separation and/or divorce requiring support or advice on what is involved either through mediation or the courts (excluding as always any and all legal advice).

Well, I couldn't find a forum that I could ask about this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Well, I couldn't find a forum that I could ask about this kind of stuff.

Try the state benefits forum

http://touch.boards.ie/forum/861

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

What about a part time job? It would be good for your cv too

• Advertisement

CaraMay wrote: »
    What about a part time job? It would be good for your cv too

I live in a very small and the place I go to college is small as well, believe me I've been looking for jobs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I live in a very small and the place I go to college is small as well, believe me I've been looking for jobs...

Why don't you go in to your local SW office and ask them what you are entitled to. Have you been honest with them about your college course? Are you not eligible for BTEA?

Why don't you go in to your local SW office and ask them what you are entitled to. Have you been honest with them about your college course? Are you not eligible for BTEA?

I tried to get Jobseeker Allowance some time ago, but I wasn't able to, because my partner was working. But since he was made redundant, sw paid the allowance for both of us, as I am a student. Might have to go to social welfare to get more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

Ring citizens information bureau or call into them & they'll listen & advise you.

Ring citizens information bureau or call into them & they'll listen & advise you.

I will, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Charlene_92

Citizen's Info is the best place! You can fully explain your situation to them without holding anything back and they can tell you exactly what you are entitled to and help you with filling out the forms etc. Naturally, if you split with your partner, you should get some sort of payment each week and perhaps would be entitled to rent allowance should you start renting your own place, especially so when your parents are no longer in the country. Don't worry, they will sort you out and you can get out of the relationship if you are no longer happy!

Best of luck xx

Citizen's Info is the best place! You can fully explain your situation to them without holding anything back and they can tell you exactly what you are entitled to and help you with filling out the forms etc. Naturally, if you split with your partner, you should get some sort of payment each week and perhaps would be entitled to rent allowance should you start renting your own place, especially so when your parents are no longer in the country. Don't worry, they will sort you out and you can get out of the relationship if you are no longer happy!

Best of luck xx

Thank You, this made me feel so much better :)

Advertisement