Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black, slime on 1970s era singles in attic...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    Correct, but carrying out an insulation resistance test is standard practice once there is a concern about the integrity of the insulation of a cable.

Its worth pointing out that passing an insulation test is an indicator, not proof, that a cable is in good condition.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bruthal wrote: »
    Its worth pointing out that passing an insulation test is an indicator, not proof, that a cable is in good condition.

Agreed (again:D) but as already said:
    no but worth doing..
    carrying out an insulation resistance test is standard practice once there is a concern about the integrity of the insulation of a cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    Agreed (again:D) but as already said:

Yea but in the context of this thread, and the actual photos of single core cables with marks on them, and a poster concerned about a fire, it should be made clear that a good result in an insulation test would not certainly mean that the insulation at them marks is perfect. That's my point.

If it is in fact that black-greenish liquid that forms on some cables from the 60s, that would indicate copper is exposed, since it is a component in the PVC reacting with contact with copper that causes it. It doesn't look like that stuff in the photos though. Hard to tell really.

Risk of fire would be very remote anyway, assuming no other serious problems.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yea but in the context of this thread, and the actual photos of single core cables with marks on them, and a poster concerned about a fire, it should be made clear that a good result in an insulation test would not certainly mean that the insulation at them marks is perfect. That's my point.

You are pushing an open door here.
    It is a valid point that has been agreed with each time it was made.

It does not change the fact that an insulation resistance test would be prudent.

I think this thread has run its course.
    If anyone has anything new to add please PM a Mod and it will be unlocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

dolittle wrote: »
    i`ve seen this before dark green/black sticky oozing from the cables
    as far as i can recollect it was deemed that the cable was breaking down
    That's what I would have thought, often got this type of gunk on my hands pulling out old cable, I put it down to the cable being past its sell by date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement