Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional Career Training Visa - Anyone done it?

Options
  • 10-11-2013 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

As the title suggests, I'm really keen on moving to New York but unfortunately do not qualify for the graduate 1 year visa as I'm over 1 year past my graduation date.

I spoke to USIT who confirmed me that I'm eligible to qualify for this visa but I imagine now is the difficult part in applying for jobs and convincing companies through Skype/email/phone calls to hire me

My experience/degree is in Marketing and I was wondering if anyone has had success moving to America on this type of visa?

Does anyone have any useful tips in getting a job from this visa?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 socialnidge

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mrs. ET

Would love to give this visa a try myself but with my area its pretty difficult. Im in the Sport and Development area and nobody is hiring here. Ive applied for the Green Card and ive sent my CV to many places but keep getting rejected. Let me know if you hear of anything.

Final Bump :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mrs. ET

Final Bump :(

Any luck with anything?

Mrs. ET wrote: »
    Any luck with anything?

Nothing yet :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

What visa is it exactly? I think it's just a J1 under a different category of eligibility, give a few more details

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

ya whats the name of this visa.

I think it's called the Professional Training Career Visa
    Have you always wanted to work in the USA but didn't quite know how to go about it? Did you never get the chance to do a summer J-1 because you didn't go to college, but always longed to experience life in the US? Well, now is your chance to bite the bullet and go! If you have at least 5 years of experience in your professional field, you could have the unique opportunity of training in the USA in your field for up to 18 months!

The Professional Career Training programme gives graduates (more than 1 year) with at least 12 months work experience in their qualified field (outside the US) or professionals (no qualification necessary) with at least 5 years work experience in your current career field, the chance to get hands on training in the for up to 18 months.

What is a trainee position?

A trainee position must entail practical training directly related to your current career. Your training should include a rotation of different departments and give well rounded exposure to the organization. So you are not just filling a labour need. You are constantly growing your skills and expanding your training. You get a true insight into American life first-hand, all the while working your way up the ladder in your career, and eventually being able to bring all of your expanded training back to the Irish workplace after your training. It's a win-win situation!

More info here: http://www.usavisa.ie/pct

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fernweh

So has anyone done this? I'm seriously considering it and would love to hear anyone's experiences on it?

Advertisement