Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on dress and what accessories to go with it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Gold sandals not impossible to find for once http://www.riverisland.com/women/shoes--boots/heels/Gold-slinky-chain-trim-barely-there-sandals-644394
    I think that sounds like a great outfit. Not too old, just quite classy! Maybe with an embellished clutch bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

dee_mc wrote: »
    Gold sandals not impossible to find for once http://www.riverisland.com/women/shoes--boots/heels/Gold-slinky-chain-trim-barely-there-sandals-644394
    I think that sounds like a great outfit. Not too old, just quite classy! Maybe with an embellished clutch bag.

There fab! very high tho :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I wouldn't wear a bangle because the sleeves and low neckline of the dress are its statements. I think a bangle would drawn attention away from that.

I would probably keep it simply accessory wise, wear some nice high shoes and go with a striking lip.

Novella wrote: »
    I wouldn't wear a bangle because the sleeves and low neckline of the dress are its statements. I think a bangle would drawn attention away from that.

I would probably keep it simply accessory wise, wear some nice high shoes and go with a striking lip.

ya l was thinking of a deep purple or red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Ya, never mind the bangle...maybe some statement earrings? Loads around at the moment and they can really add some sparkle to an outfit (essential for the christmas period!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

I never understand this question as what you're seeing in the picture is a pretty good representation of what you can wear with it...

i.e. black shoes and add a large black clutch. Done.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2496133/Brooke-Vincent-wows-plunging-turquoise-gown--Chelsee-Healey-scores-rare-fashion-win-teal-piece-charity-ball.html

I think Jennifer Metcalfe looks amazing in the navy velvet dress. I'm after either finding it or one similar, but was wondering what kind of accessories would you put with it? I'd love to wear it for christmas out, with maybe a gold bangle and gold heeled sandles? (impossible to find) but I'm thinking would this look, look at bit to old on me (I'm 22) ?

Whats your thoughts and opinions? How would you dress it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2496133/Brooke-Vincent-wows-plunging-turquoise-gown--Chelsee-Healey-scores-rare-fashion-win-teal-piece-charity-ball.html

I think Jennifer Metcalfe looks amazing in the navy velvet dress. I'm after either finding it or one similar, but was wondering what kind of accessories would you put with it? I'd love to wear it for christmas out, with maybe a gold bangle and gold heeled sandles? (impossible to find) but I'm thinking would this look, look at bit to old on me (I'm 22) ?

Whats your thoughts and opinions? How would you dress it up?

I'm 23, and the best part of being in your early 20s is getting away with everything in terms of fashion (excluding hot pants because they look ridiculous on everyone, IMO)

The dress is fab, personally I'd go for red heels and simple silver jewellery with red lips. Gold would be fab too though but not with red.

Also if you can go braless I'd say go for it, or even one of those stick on bras (I swear by them but I'd imagine they're useless for anyone with a C cup or more)

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    I never understand this question as what you're seeing in the picture is a pretty good representation of what you can wear with it...

i.e. black shoes and add a large black clutch. Done.

I asked because I think the outfit and shoes in the article aren't really for a 22 year old going out sat/sun night, plus Jennifer Meltcalf is stunning so she can really pull it off whereas I think it would look better on me with a hit of color or some jewellery, l wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it the way she is, l'd feel like l'd be dressing a bit too old for my age.

You can't go wrong with black. It's a universal, ageless colour.

I'd definitely steer clear of the red that someone mentioned. I don't think this'd go at all. Black all the way.
    I asked because I think the outfit and shoes in the article aren't really for a 22 year old going out sat/sun night, plus Jennifer Meltcalf is stunning so she can really pull it off whereas I think it would look better on me with a hit of color or some jewellery, l wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it the way she is, l'd feel like l'd be dressing a bit too old for my age.

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    You can't go wrong with black. It's a universal, ageless colour.

I'd definitely steer clear of the red that someone mentioned. I don't think this'd go at all. Black all the way.

The dress is navy, personally I'd never wear black with navy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Black and navy can be fine together but it really depends on the outfit and the shade of navy and how much of each colour their is. The navy in that dress is perfect for black.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cpier

Plus one to that, my mother always quoted us growing up

"Black and navy look like gravy" I presume in a bad way.
    "Black and brown make me frown"
    "Blue and green should never be seen" personally don't agree with that one.

I am sure there are many more little rhymes about what colours do and dont go together, a lot of them probably outdated in this day and age.

Anyway that is off the point, love the dress think it looks classy. For Christmas period I would echo the opinions that say go for gold or red shoes, only thing is with red shoes you need to find a decent pair or else they can end up looking cheap, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭SarB89

Im 23 and If i had that dress i would wear a black sandal shoe(the rihianna type) with a gold cuff around the ankle.

http://www.missguided.eu/catalog/product/view/id/97518/s/kazimira-gold-detail-heeled-sandals/category/752/

A nice big clutch bag , black with a little gold detailing, nothing over the top.

Simple gold stud earrings, a nice watch.

Makeup would be simple, little eyeliner and a burgundy dark lip.

Avoid RED at all costs.. will ruin the dress in my opinion.

That 'rule' doesn't apply these days. The girl in the photo is wearing navy with black shoes and it looks good.

That's almost as old-fashioned as saying 'pink and green should never be seen on an Irish coilin'. Time to move on and wear whatever the hell you like WITH whatever the hell you like.

Eh, take note of my use of the word 'personally'. I never said nobody should ever, I said I never would. I believe opinions are allowed in a fashion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 FBee

I would definitely wear black heals with it. I'd wear gold accessories but keep them very simple so they don't take away from the dress, perhaps one or two gold bracelets. The dress is very elegant and the statement piece in this outfit so keep everything else simple. I don't think it would look to old for you.

I still havent bought the dress...cant make up my mind, I'm scared that some people might think it looks awful cause its velvet and I'm not the biggest fan of it...I'm scared it might look cheap....I asked my friend the last day what she thought velvet and thinks it looks "old and grannyish"

I know I shouldn't care what other people think but I just cant make up my mind!!! :( should I get it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I still havent bought the dress...cant make up my mind, I'm scared that some people might think it looks awful cause its velvet and I'm not the biggest fan of it...I'm scared it might look cheap....I asked my friend the last day what she thought velvet and thinks it looks "old and grannyish"

I know I shouldn't care what other people think but I just cant make up my mind!!! :( should I get it??
    Velvet can be 'old and grannyish' but that dress certainly isn't! That's half the fun of it in my opinion, because a dress like that sort of turns your preconceptions on their head if you get my meaning - that's what makes it interesting and different. I say go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 FBee

I'd go for it. I too am not the biggest fan of velvet, but to me this dress is quite elegant and sophisticated. Velvet is totally on trend and this type of dress gives a modern, young twist to velvet. Most definitely not old and grannyish. I quite like it.

Advertisement