Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to Irish adapter

Options
  • 10-11-2013 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Lads I got a new Dell Inspiron 660 desktop the other day but it came with a European schuko plug. I have an adapter for it but should I switch out the 13 amp fuse in the adapter for a 3 amp fuse? The psu in the Inspiron is 300 watts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

The euro plug should already be fused. You sure the adapter is fused?, usually only shaver adapters are fused.

Schuko plugs aren't normally fused.

If it were me I'd just replace the Schuko with a BS1363. The cables normally come with 5 amp fuses but a 3 amp would most likely be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

degsie wrote: »
    The euro plug should already be fused. You sure the adapter is fused?, usually only shaver adapters are fused.

It's fused alright:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brennenstuhl-Travel-Mains-Earthed-Adapter/dp/B001L2UN6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384127288&sr=8-1&keywords=brennenstuhl+travel

The thing is, assuming that the power cord that came with the laptop already has a fuse (say 3A) then that will be placed in series with the 13A on the adapter. So the 3A will blow well before the 13A so there is no need to change the adapter fuse.

Karsini wrote: »
    Schuko plugs aren't normally fused.

If it were me I'd just replace the Schuko with a BS1363. The cables normally come with 5 amp fuses but a 3 amp would most likely be fine.

I usually just cut off the schuko plugs and replace em with a BS1363 but seeing as I had an adapter I just wanted to be sure of the whole amp thing.

• Advertisement

The thing is, assuming that the power cord that came with the laptop already has a fuse (say 3A) then that will be placed in series with the 13A on the adapter. So the 3A will blow well before the 13A so there is no need to change the adapter fuse.

It's a desktop so it's just a lead with a schuko plug on the end.

O'Prez wrote: »
    It's a desktop so it's just a lead with a schuko plug on the end.

So is this schuko plug fused or not? Is there a fuse for the PSU?

You might be over-thinking this! A user in continental Europe would just plug the cord into the wall, so presumable there are already safeguards built into the PSU.

So is this schuko plug fused or not? Is there a fuse for the PSU?

You might be over-thinking this! A user in continental Europe would just plug the cord into the wall, so presumable there are already safeguards built into the PSU.

I don't know if either of them are fused. Dell should have sent me the correct lead in the first place. So I suppose the best bet would be to cut off the schuko and replace it with a 3-pin plug with a 3 amp or 5 amp fuse then, right?

European plugs aren't fused because they use different electrical systems. I can't remember for certain but I believe they use 6A and 10A breakers in the consumer unit. So the breaker acts as the fuse.

Jaysus it's all getting very confusing hahaha.

• Advertisement

Jaysus it's all getting very confusing hahaha.

It doesn't have to be. Use a 3 or 5 amp fuse in the adapter or plug. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I don't know if either of them are fused. Dell should have sent me the correct lead in the first place. ... ?
    Correct. Ring Dell and complain and insist they familiarise themselves with Mary Harney's plug legislation for electrical goods sold into Ireland.
    ... So I suppose the best bet would be to cut off the schuko and replace it with a 3-pin plug with a 3 amp or 5 amp fuse then, right?
    Naw, get Dell to do their thing and use a 5amp fuse. 13amp fuses should only be used for bus-bars and power-station kettles.

Karsini wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be. Use a 3 or 5 amp fuse in the adapter or plug. :)

Then so be it. Thanks :D

mathepac wrote: »
    Correct. Ring Dell and complain and insist they familiarise themselves with Mary Harney's plug legislation for electrical goods sold into Ireland.
    Naw, get Dell to do their thing and use a 5amp fuse. 13amp fuses should only be used for bus-bars and power-station kettles.

hahaha deadly

Advertisement