Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC freezing when starting

Options
  • 10-11-2013 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Lately when I start the PC it freezes when booting up, It happens at the same spot every time..
    PC is not long from getting a new operating system Windows 7 and 1gb extra ram

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sounds like bad capacitors on the motherboard. Have a look for any swollen/bulging/leaking capacitors

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

yoyo wrote: »
    Sounds like bad capacitors on the motherboard. Have a look for any swollen/bulging/leaking capacitors

Nick
    Would that require getting a new motherboard?

This is a video of whats happening :

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Does pressing tab do anything on that screen? You might be getting a POST error behind that splash screen.

maki wrote: »
    Does pressing tab do anything on that screen? You might be getting a POST error behind that splash screen.
    Nope TAB, Delete or F8 does not do anything

OriginV wrote: »
    Would that require getting a new motherboard?

This is a video of whats happening :

It's fixable if your confident with soldering :) . Otherwise yep new motherboard would be the only solution. Have a look at the motherboard for any swollen/bulging capacitors. Ref: image here.

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I actually had a similar problem to this caused by a dvd drive gone bad, when I finally got into bios the dvd drive was listed as !??!!!??//!! and so forth.

Disconnected the sata cable from the dvd drive and problem solved, just ordered a new drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭gerarda

Do the 'Num Lock', Caps Lock' and Scroll Lock' LED'S flash on and off? If not, try reseating the dimms. Also try booting with the bare minimum of hardware connected (disconnect cd-roms, external storage etc).

Opened up the computer checked the motherboard everything seemed fine so I disconnected the disc drive booted it up and everything is working fine, Feels good to do it yourself and not pay a computer shop for such a simple task thanks everyone :)

Well things changed pretty fast it booted up but mouse and keyboard were not working? So I turned it off and I am now back to square one? I think it is dying or dead..

OriginV wrote: »
    Well things changed pretty fast it booted up but mouse and keyboard were not working? So I turned it off and I am now back to square one? I think it is dying or dead..

Could you do a few photos of the capacitors? Also try re-seating the memory

Nick

• Advertisement

Reseated the memory and checked all the capacitors but found nothing wrong..

I guess Ill have to bring it in to the shop when I can..

Anyways here is some pictures..
    20131111_205459_zpsebe07320.jpg
    20131111_205448_zps89fd0415.jpg
    20131111_204617_zps06745086.jpg
    20131111_204602_zps06f87b97.jpg

Advertisement