Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Msc in Business Analytics - Smurfit

Options
  • 10-11-2013 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Looking for any info on this course from anyone in the know.

Is it well regarded? Would it be of any use for a career in mgmt consultancy?

I'm aware of what the course entails. I'm more concerned about what I could move into afterword.
    Given that the government grants have been cut so the cost has gone from €3g - €10g I want to make sure this is the right course.

Is there any other courses in Ireland or abroad I should consider looking at?
    Any insight appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Is it just management consultancy you're interested in? Because there's an MSc in Management Consultancy course in Smurfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

Is it just management consultancy you're interested in? Because there's an MSc in Management Consultancy course in Smurfit.

It should more be a question of what do you want to do, rather than where you want to do it. Management consultancy provides a variety of expertise to business which it does not have, analytics is one such area of expertise, but management consultancy organisations also provide advice on strategy marketing etc. If you want to work with the application of quantiative and stuctured decision making, then MSc Business Analytics should be of interest, whether you do that in a consulting firm or another type of organisation.

Many graduates do work in consulting, a quick search on google will reveal people working in Accenture, Deloitte, Bearing Point, IBM, Distinct Consulting, Ernst & Young etc.

https://www.google.ie/#q=MSc+Business+Analytics+Dublin+site%3Alinkedin.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rathbone

Not really interested in the mgmt consultancy masters although I have looked at that. Having completed a business degree already I don't feel it would give me much more than I've already covered.
    Would be more interested in leveraging mathematical understanding of data into the consultancy world (gaining insights from data to drive strategy etc). My concern is this business analytics course would simply provide the number crunching skills and not really look at how results should influence organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

My concern is this business analytics course would simply provide the number crunching skills and not really look at how results should influence organisations.

While the content obviously includes number crunching, it is a programme in Business Analytics. The number crunching is viewed as to how useful it is in reaching business decisions, not as an end in itself.

The University of Warwick in Britain had a MSc in Business Analytics and Consulting, but this is now going to be a plain MSc in Business Analytics. Note too that while the fee has gone up as the HEA subsidy is phased out, the UCD MSc still costs about one third of the Warwick masters.

Advertisement