Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drawing silage, whats it like? need peoples opinions

Options
  • 10-11-2013 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hello all, il cut straight to the point. In the next few weeks or early in Jan i might go around asking few contractors for job at silage. Ive abit of experience as ive mowed, swarted, wrapped bales, draw bales, stack, spread slurry and do a small bit of baling. What is it like to actually draw pit silage? Does it require much skill or just stay under the chute of the harvester? Ive never pulled a silage trailer in my life though ive used a 20/21ft bale trailer single axel.
    I have great respect for machinery and wouldnt drive them hard or dog them unless i was told to so, which suited one fella i worked with before! I think nothing of coming in on a day off or staying late in the yard to wash and grease the tractor.
    Id be very keen and willing learn the ropes of drawing pit silage as il have alot more free time next summer and the number of hours dont matter to me. Also another thing is the most ive worked with is two other people on the one job, most of the time it was just me on my own or the odd time the farm might draw in with me or stack, whats it like working in a team? What rules did ye each have? I know i wouldnt get anything mad in wages maybe 8/9 euro a hour to be honest i dont exactly know id be just glad of the work and learn something new. So what was yer first time at it like? Was it very hard to try and grasp? Any information and replies are much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

I'd say go for it as you have a keen interest like I did. I wrapped bales for 5 years with a contractor. Hardest thing was the long hours and sometimes you can go long stretches with no day off, my record is 28 days straight before a day off. Can get tiring at times and sometimes it can be a pain working in tight yards when your wrecked.
    With your experience I'd say you would be well able to draw as once you have respect for the machines and realise what harm the machines can do when handled wrong then your most of the way there everything else will come in time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭homingbird

Who would be doing silage in this weather !!!

homingbird wrote: »
    Who would be doing silage in this weather !!!

The OP is on about next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tmboy95

Yes im on about next year! I dont want to be asking when its too late. Ya oh ive met a few tight gaps and yards when tired and it really tries ya. Ya ive done a few long ones myself, and start at 6am and not see a bite to eat til 6 that evening. Mad for it at the start and after few weeks sick of it. The joys of it. But Drawing pit silage is something now im really wanting to try so god willing it works out, after making few contacts too who might help. Oh and i operated a keltec 8 pack as well, they are a really nacky bit of machinery to use. My best is about 300 bales in one day and only about 4 damaged ;) Thanks for the replies lads :)

tmboy95 wrote: »
    Yes im on about next year! I dont want to be asking when its too late. Ya oh ive met a few tight gaps and yards when tired and it really tries ya. Ya ive done a few long ones myself, and start at 6am and not see a bite to eat til 6 that evening. Mad for it at the start and after few weeks sick of it. The joys of it. But Drawing pit silage is something now im really wanting to try so god willing it works out, after making few contacts too who might help. Oh and i operated a keltec 8 pack as well, they are a really nacky bit of machinery to use. My best is about 300 bales in one day and only about 4 damaged ;) Thanks for the replies lads :)

Give it a lash sure you'll soon find out if your suited to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Hello all, il cut straight to the point. In the next few weeks or early in Jan i might go around asking few contractors for job at silage. Ive abit of experience as ive mowed, swarted, wrapped bales, draw bales, stack, spread slurry and do a small bit of baling. What is it like to actually draw pit silage? Does it require much skill or just stay under the chute of the harvester? Ive never pulled a silage trailer in my life though ive used a 20/21ft bale trailer single axel.
    I have great respect for machinery and wouldnt drive them hard or dog them unless i was told to so, which suited one fella i worked with before! I think nothing of coming in on a day off or staying late in the yard to wash and grease the tractor.
    Id be very keen and willing learn the ropes of drawing pit silage as il have alot more free time next summer and the number of hours dont matter to me. Also another thing is the most ive worked with is two other people on the one job, most of the time it was just me on my own or the odd time the farm might draw in with me or stack, whats it like working in a team? What rules did ye each have? I know i wouldnt get anything mad in wages maybe 8/9 euro a hour to be honest i dont exactly know id be just glad of the work and learn something new. So what was yer first time at it like? Was it very hard to try and grasp? Any information and replies are much appreciated.

Drawing silage is stressful where any of the following are present : steep hills, boggy ground , tight silage yards, crap tractors. It's a doddle if those scenarios are not present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

its pure torture and your cracked to be wanting to go for it.

Stressful is 110% a perfect way of describing it! Chippy im still fairly young so its still in me for a while yet ha. Thanks for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Stressful is 110% a perfect way of describing it! Chippy im still fairly young so its still in me for a while yet ha. Thanks for the replies

Golden rule

Knock the pier on the way in not on the way out!!!!!

Another ive been told is "Man with the load stays on the road" and not to drive over the swarts.

• Advertisement

delaval wrote: »
    Golden rule

done that :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

delaval wrote: »
    Golden rule

and don't let on a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

f140 wrote: »
    and don't let on a bit.
    Oh ya , it was the man on the mower that must've caught it :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

Ull need two boxes of fags and a litre of coke to get through them long days

jersey101 wrote: »
    Ull need two boxes of fags and a litre of coke to get through them long days
    and one hell of a lunch box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

and one hell of a lunch box

ah if ye have fags, coke and a packet of wrigleys your sorted

ah i need more than that to keep my girlish figure

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

Pick a contractor with good gear. Modern tractors etc. You will be spending long hours in a seat so make sure they are comfortable because your back will be subjected to a lot of stress over rough ground. Your experience will go a long way to fitting in to a crew. You will be told to keep the shoe to the floor at all times day and night. Other than that its a great job!!!

loving the feedback and tipps lads :) ya ugh i done my time in rough machinery :( back be broke after it! Who im thinking of asking would have machines in reasonable shape anyway and can be as bad as a tractor i was in before, i actually mean to say the seat was jammed solid! you could jump up and down on the seat as hard as you could and it would not budge. Id have cans of redbull though any cans are a balls to keep as they go under seat sometimes and burst open..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

What you said could have a double meaning :D
    Gays, drugs and ? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Was at it last year, like urself had plenty of experience, had spent 5years wrapping, stacking, and drawing bales with 30ft trailers, wanted a change of scenery and luckily the lad came after me to drive silage trailer and any other gear so i did,

As the lads say the hours will be long, and i mean really long, admittedly last year('12) was a bad year for hours with the weather, but we had racked up 33 hours out of 36 at one point, my advice would be i your offered an odd day on loader take it as while you dont get to see the countryside as much as on trailer your back will generally thank you for it (well so long as it's not a rough yoke) but at the same time try not to get stuck on it as it's not always the easiest place to be :p
    Biggest thing I'll say is you may be used to the length i the trailers already but just bear in mind the weight sits very differently and centre of gravity is a good bit higher than a load of bales normally.

Oh and no matter what the crew it'll always be foot to the board as the harvester can generally fill a trailer in Around the 2minute mark!

Zr105 wrote: »
    Biggest thing I'll say is you may be used to the length i the trailers already but just bear in mind the weight sits very differently and centre of gravity is a good bit higher than a load of bales normally.

Oh and no matter what the crew it'll always be foot to the board as the harvester can generally fill a trailer in Around the 2minute mark!
    2min to fill trailer , the man on the pit must have some job so trying to keep all that grass up if the trailers are being filled that quick. Ya I always wondered about how the load feels on the tractor , as it is distributed way more differently. Had you much experience on the loader or pit when you were first offered a day on it?

2min to fill trailer , the man on the pit must have some job so trying to keep all that grass up if the trailers are being filled that quick. Ya I always wondered about how the load feels on the tractor , as it is distributed way more differently. Had you much experience on the loader or pit when you were first offered a day on it?
    It may only be 2 mins to fill a trailer(admittedly thats in ideal situation) but there's generally a bit of a draw and most crews are probably only working 3 trailers unless a long draw, so its a bit more than that really, my point was just that unless a short draw you'll always be under pressure back to the harvester!

And on the loader no, first day i was with them boss radioed me while tipping to jump up with him and showed me how to fill pit properly and offered it to me but i wasnt sure an said id rather drive d loader round d yard on a quiet day first to get used to it, one of the other lads took it on that day and did most of the season, but if he was off or wanted a chance to get out of yard we'd swap. I ended up on it for a week or more at maize and kinda missed the road a bit... You get used to it quick enough, i was helped by using it to load lime when we weren't at silage and got a feel for it before going onto pit!

Its much easier to learn it from the start of a pit tho, one of my first days on it i had to jump onto it to push up a fairly full pit and i found it hard to judge when i was diggin in to the face to much, but the next time i started at the ground and worked up and was flyin by the end.

Biggest thing is to keep it pushed out to the walls leaving it dip down in the centre, that way when your rolling up beside the wall the loader is lying out away from it rather than getting wedged into the wall. It also means you keep the walls tight so no soft spots later that could kill you. Oh and small layers every time! No dumping fork fulls!

Absolutely mighty stuff zr105 really appreciate that and the detail you gave :) thanks a million. Would you not be a small bit put off by the height and slope and working near the edge? Specially in the dark I say it could be hard to judge :/

You definitely will be at first but with out tryin to sound to rough (or cocky for that matter) you'll quickly grow a pair and get used to it under the pressure :D:D most newer loaders will have decent enough lights anyways so dark isn't to bad, just try not to do your first one at night, it's like everything really, your better to start fresh after a good nights sleep when your learning your way around anything like that! The loader can be a dangerous place so be sure your comfortable on it. And always bear in mind you need to be watchful, silage pits are a major attraction to young lads, they were for me and probably yourself to so you need to always be keeping an eye out, and also keeping an eye for the next load appearing, a lot of pressure will come on you on a short draw and if you start to slow up the operation be prepared to have the boss breathing down your neck.

The thing i despised the most when on the loader was a roofed pit and tryin to pack it into the bloody rafters :(

On the trailer side i always hated side banks, especially in wet fields. Oh and the idiots you meet on the road.

On most crews you'll generally end up on the loader or a particular tractor and my best advise would be keep the windows, mirrors and cab floor clear. I used to hate going in after someone else had driven the tractor i was normally on as i nearly always had the floor swept out so it didnt smell.

Oh and lay off the red bull, there's a b*tch of a crash off it and you never no when it'll hit! And thats the last thing you want at 11pm on ye road with a full trailer and no end in sight for another hour or 2! Plenty of water will keep ya going much longer than anything else, it'll keep you from feeling hungry when compared to soft drinks aswell as it is quite good at filling the somach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Well they all say that everyone should do a year/ summer at silage for the experience, well thats what my boss says anyhow.
    i think its well worth doing, working out in the weather when friends were working in factories, being on the road , seeing whats happening and so on.
    As the boys say wet fields , high ground, tight yards , narrow roads, bad gear,long hours , idiots on the road are some of the worst things about the silage.

some advice after years of doing it myself
    - you will be expected to drive on but take it handy enough for a few days til you get used to the machinery and they way the boys you are working for do things.
    -watch out for the idiots that try to overtake you when you are turning right with the indicator on, eithre block both lanes or let them by, seen a lot of accidents with new drivers doing that
    -keep mirrors and window clean, essential when the sun gets low and then dark.
    - when backing the trailer on the level, tip the body slightly so you can see the back axel of the trailer, dont tip it too fac as the back door will open.
    - if you meet a car on a narrow road with soft margains , it backs up not you.
    -watch what the other drivers do, for things as getting into fields, round yards and in wet fields ,as they might have been there before and know where the dry spots are.
    -try to get work with a contractor with good gear, tractors with good seats , air conditioning this summer was a massive bonus, two mirrors on the tractor, all lights working on tractor and trailer, trailer brakes that work properly , good tyres , radio
    -look after the tractor yourself, check for engine oil, back end oil , water, brake fluid daily . ive seen lads ignore the brake fluid resevoir only to end up with no brakes and wonder why.
    - be wary of heel irons where the gate is hung. The farmer takes down the gate and the heel iron is sticking out and can be clipped by the tyre bursting it. Also if you think you dont have enough space dont try to bull you way through a gap, you will probably burst a tyre. the low ground pressure tyres take very little abuse.
    -take advice from others , to quote Otto von Bismarck — 'Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others
    -be wary of instructions from farmers especially if you end up mowing, they will tell you there are no stones/ nothing to hit, send you into wet spots , small fields that , tight corners that will be impossible to pick and f n blind when you cant pick them
    -Always look busy, it can impress the boss.
    -if working for a small contractor mowing isnt a bad thing to be doing as there always seems to be mowing to be done when the pit needs covering. also most people dont want to see the mower til 9 or 10 in the morning and after 10 at night, sugars and dew

The hours will be long but you are expecting that, though be a small bit wary in off peak times, there are a few contractors round here that you could get a phone call that they need you at 2 and will be finished at 5 .
    Be wary of the man that takes you on on a trial. i know one man who has a rep of taking on people on a trial and after a week or two when you are looking for a paycheck telling you that you were on trial and it didnt work out and not getting paid.

There will be no nights out as all you will want on your days off is sleep.
    If you have any interest in servicing machinery/fixing machinery you will work the wet days as well fixing machinery that broke down and servicing machinery.
    on wet days be prepare to go agitating/ spreading slurry.

As regards driving the loader, if you are not happy / confident dont do it . A contractor beside me bought a new loading shovel and got a driver who claimed to be able to drive them, drove loaders for years in quarries on pits etc and a short while later the loader was upside down on its cab. If you are intent on driving one , start on a pit with walls .

Hope this helps somewhat

@ 9935452 that's very helpful and appreciate it and I'm sure other people reading it do.
    Ya I loved doing it, the smell of grass, diesel , oil, etc :) ya I've been on wet and hilly ground before but never with a silane trailer. I assume that if they done it in that field before it's safe to go across once you go easy.
    Ya dip engine oil and back end oil. Never check the other oils like the break as much as I wasn't really told to, but il check everything from now on :) why would you want to see the back axel of the trailer? To see how far back you can go is it?
    These tractors sound luxurious :p you'd want them though.
    Friend of mine got caught by a fella this summer actually he paid him but only half what he was owed! Ya il be glued to YouTube now watching the silage pit videos haha. What's it actually like filling a load? Do you just maintain speed along side the harvester?

@ Zr105 , that's a awful dose alright working In a shed its like you can't relax at all. I'm the same I'd practically vallet the tractor. Ya I know energy drinks aren't the best but when you're desperate you'd do anything nearly.
    Thanks for all that advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

@ 9935452 that's very helpful and appreciate it and I'm sure other people reading it do.
    Ya I loved doing it, the smell of grass, diesel , oil, etc :) ya I've been on wet and hilly ground before but never with a silane trailer. I assume that if they done it in that field before it's safe to go across once you go easy.
    Ya dip engine oil and back end oil. Never check the other oils like the break as much as I wasn't really told to, but il check everything from now on :) why would you want to see the back axel of the trailer? To see how far back you can go is it?
    These tractors sound luxurious :p you'd want them though.
    Friend of mine got caught by a fella this summer actually he paid him but only half what he was owed! Ya il be glued to YouTube now watching the silage pit videos haha. What's it actually like filling a load? Do you just maintain speed along side the harvester?

With the trailer slightly tipped it allows you to see behind it and if you are reversing somewhere tight like a passage you can see both sides of the trailer especially if you only have one mirror or reversing round a corner. try it and you will know what i mean.

There is nothing to filling a load , maintain speed beside the harvestor , choose a gear that the tractor is more or less ticking over in, they dont need to be revved out.
    Then eithre you fill your load or the man in the harvestor does.
    if you fill the load fill the back first working your way forward and finish the load by throwing a bit more on top.
    The two exceptions to filling the back first is when the ground is wet or hilly where you fill the front first for traction, get the weight on the back wheels of the tractor.
    If the man on the harvester fills the load you just pull up beside him and hold steady. he normally will match your speed .

Also if you are new to a contractor , expect to get the worst tractor and trailer he has til you have proven yourself.its not the worst thing in the world to have a smaller tractor and trailer, faster to fill and easier to maneuver in a tight yard
    Another tip i was told about for hills is if the trailer ahead of you is getting full and you are following it up a hill, follow the harvester and not the trailer as if the trailer comes off the tractor for whatever reason it will hit you if you are behind it. Also dont clutch coming down hills or cut corners short , the trailer will push you and possibly jacknife the tractor and trailer.
    Don't ever rely on the hand break to hold the tractor and trailer on a hill, point both ends uphill.
    Be cute when you are driving , farmers hate to see ground torn asunder, dont go through wet spots with a full load, if there is a passage nearby and even though its bumpy take that rather than chancing it through a wet spot. As the chap i work for says if it takes you a few minutes longer to get back to the yard , it will be a lot quicker than having to pull you out.

• Advertisement

9935452 wrote: »
    With the trailer slightly tipped it allows you to see behind it and if you are reversing somewhere tight like a passage you can see both sides of the trailer especially if you only have one mirror or reversing round a corner. try it and you will know what i mean.

There is nothing to filling a load , maintain speed beside the harvestor , choose a gear that the tractor is more or less ticking over in, they dont need to be revved out.
    Then eithre you fill your load or the man in the harvestor does.
    if you fill the load fill the back first working your way forward and finish the load by throwing a bit more on top.
    The two exceptions to filling the back first is when the ground is wet or hilly where you fill the front first for traction, get the weight on the back wheels of the tractor.
    If the man on the harvester fills the load you just pull up beside him and hold steady. he normally will match your speed .

Also if you are new to a contractor , expect to get the worst tractor and trailer he has til you have proven yourself.its not the worst thing in the world to have a smaller tractor and trailer, faster to fill and easier to maneuver in a tight yard
    Another tip i was told about for hills is if the trailer ahead of you is getting full and you are following it up a hill, follow the harvester and not the trailer as if the trailer comes off the tractor for whatever reason it will hit you if you are behind it. Also dont clutch coming down hills or cut corners short , the trailer will push you and possibly jacknife the tractor and trailer.
    Don't ever rely on the hand break to hold the tractor and trailer on a hill, point both ends uphill.
    Be cute when you are driving , farmers hate to see ground torn asunder, dont go through wet spots with a full load, if there is a passage nearby and even though its bumpy take that rather than chancing it through a wet spot. As the chap i work for says if it takes you a few minutes longer to get back to the yard , it will be a lot quicker than having to pull you out.
    i like it :D

Advertisement