Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairs on Rented Property / How long to take?

Options
  • 10-11-2013 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all,

Was wondering if you could assist me - how long should it take the LL to repair something in the property? I've mailed mine about the problem a little while ago and his reply was "to leave it with me" haven't heard anything since.:rolleyes:

So do they have to repair within a few days or within a week etc?

I've tried looking up citizens advice but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Give us a little more detail- aka- is it something they are legally obliged to have in working order- or not- what is the nature of repair- did you break the item/appliance/fixture/fitting etc- a little more detail might help people answer you a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Paybel

Well the handle came off the front door. It can be put back in and the door can be locked, but the handle can be pulled off easily!

It's kinda urgent!

Photo's were sent with the mail too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Paybel wrote: »
    Well the handle came off the front door. It can be put back in and the door can be locked, but the handle can be pulled off easily!

It's kinda urgent!

Photo's were sent with the mail too!

It should be fixed within a week I'd imagine - there is no list anywhere of repairs and the corresponding repair times. It is necessary though - the front door - so it must be repaired promptly.

Depending on when you contacted them ie the weekend or last week they should get it repaired this week, sooner rather than later.

If you've ever had to contact a tradesman and arrange a time you'll know yourself just how hard it is to get one to turn up on time.

Can you fix it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

If the front door can't be locked it should be fixed before that night IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It seems like a simple task and not something that I would have even contacted the LL about.

If the door can still be locked then I wouldn't see it as an urgent issue, unless I am misunderstanding something here??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

How simple a job are we talking, ie is it something that you could repair yourself? If so, and you are getting no joy from the landlord, then consider fixing it yourself and deducting the cost from the rent. Inform him of your intentions first, and make sure to keep all receipts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It seems like a simple task and not something that I would have even contacted the LL about.

If the door can still be locked then I wouldn't see it as an urgent issue, unless I am misunderstanding something here??

Ditto to this- when I last rented, something similar happened. Took me less than 3 minutes with a screwdriver and an allenkey to resolve.

Have you tried to fix it yourself at all? Worse case scenario- you may have lost the locking bolt- which is less than 50c to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Paybel

Ah no - myself and my other half have tried to repair it. It looks like the handle needs to be replaced. I can lock the door, but it needs to be replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Write to him again and give him an alternative to have it fixed yourself deducting the the cost from the next rent - give him a set number of days to reply to this request. HE has to either organise to have it fixed himself or give you permission to sort it out on his behalf.

I would consider something like a broken lock on a front door to have an impact on insurance, it is something that should be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Paybel wrote: »
    Ah no - myself and my other half have tried to repair it. It looks like the handle needs to be replaced. I can lock the door, but it needs to be replaced

Well if you are handy, bring handle to a locks smiths, normally those handles have either two or three screw points. It will cost around 20euro for a new set of handles. Give landlord the receipt? Or better still email/ring him again and tell him you looked into it and seen a set of handles and you will pass on the cost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement