Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cancelled contract,am i liable

• 10-11-2013 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I need some help as to wether I am liable for charges after I cancelled phone and broadband contract.
    In febuary 2013 I cancelled our phone and broadband contract with Vodafone after 4 years with them,we gave them the requisite notice and final payment was taken in march 2013.
    in july 2013 received a bill from Vodafone for nearly €400 turns out they never cancelled the line in the house so broadband and phone still open,we used phone and broadband during this period are we liable even though we have no contract and they admitted someone made a mistake not cutting the services to the house.Now threating legal action and debt collection.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

newsboy wrote: »
    Hi I need some help as to wether I am liable for charges after I cancelled phone and broadband contract.
    In febuary 2013 I cancelled our phone and broadband contract with Vodafone after 4 years with them,we gave them the requisite notice and final payment was taken in march 2013.
    in july 2013 received a bill from Vodafone for nearly €400 turns out they never cancelled the line in the house so broadband and phone still open,we used phone and broadband during this period are we liable even though we have no contract and they admitted someone made a mistake not cutting the services to the house.Now threating legal action and debt collection.

Legal advice can't be given. You've obviously complicated matters by using the service. Some general advice:
    • You have to pay for services you use
    • Write letters when canceling things, keep copies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

OP you are going to have to pay, there are ways other than contract to make you.

If you want to know exactly why then pay a solicitor. However, it appears that the only ground for dispute is the valuation of the service provided.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You knew the service was active and still used them. What did you expect would happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 chattyk

Yes you are legally liable as you knowingly used the phone/broadband service after you knew it was to be cancelled.

You should always put cancellation requests in writing and insist on confirmation of cancellation from the relevant company in writing also. You should NEVER use the service after cancellation date especially when you know the service should have been terminated. When you first realised that they hadn't terminated service you should have contacted your provider and kept doing so in wrting or by email until they cut service off otherwise it just looks like you were trying to pull a fast one and thats the way the courts would see it should it go that far. I suggest you pay up and cut your losses.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

chattyk, legal advice is not allowed on this forum. Please read the forum charter before posting here again.

Also, you appear to be using an unofficial boards.ie app because you posted the same thing 5 times. Please uninstall the app and use touch.boards.ie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement