Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

\\\ Best Mini PC For The Money///

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

What about a...

\\\Second hand net book?///

• Registered Users Posts: 27 WalsheyBeast

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭jadun

What will the PC be used for? Your going to have to go second hand if you want windows. Would something running Linux do?

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/quick-sale-desktop-dell-optiplex-755-intel-dual-core-computer/4128862

• Registered Users Posts: 27 WalsheyBeast

Spend more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You cannot buy ANY new pc for 100 euros,
    the cheapest pc ,ive seen with windows os is 300 euros pc unit, no monitor.no keyboard.
    BUY a second hand pc.
    on adverts ie , or gumtree, buy n sell.
    if someone made a pc FOR 100 euro,s ,there,s no profit in it, for a shop,
    shops have to pay vat 21 per cent on the pcs they buy.
    They would,nt sell it.
    YOU can buy a pentium 4 ,pc, 2.oghz for 50 euro,
    the trick is to find someone selling a mini pc.
    or look on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

have you looked at raspberry Pi?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

a linux/debian based system cpould be the answer to your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭L8rdude

A little over the 100euro, these start at 120 from oxfam http://www.oxfamireland.org/computers/shop

I've no idea if they are any good though

Ah, just noticed you said mini. Maybe these aren't for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I am using several acer aspire R3610 nettop boxes as mini pcs. No idea how much they cost, they fell off the back of a lorry. You can pick one up second hand online for less than e100 I reckon.

There are many other similar nettop boxes running atom processors that you could consider too. If you want to use as server consider upgrading the ram (cost me e20 for another 2gb stick). Trying to get ubuntu server to install, but it REALLY does not like to be installed from usb. Normal ubuntu works fine but has hdmi sound problem with 13.04 kernel (so couldnt use as media pc). Comes with windows licence but who cares... OpenElec works good for xbmc usage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

riclad wrote: »
    You cannot buy ANY new pc for 100 euros,
    the cheapest pc ,ive seen with windows os is 300 euros pc unit, no monitor.no keyboard.
    BUY a second hand pc.
    on adverts ie , or gumtree, buy n sell.
    if someone made a pc FOR 100 euro,s ,there,s no profit in it, for a shop,
    shops have to pay vat 21 per cent on the pcs they buy.
    They would,nt sell it.
    YOU can buy a pentium 4 ,pc, 2.oghz for 50 euro,
    the trick is to find someone selling a mini pc.
    or look on ebay.

Its actually 23%. Though businesses can claim the vat if they charge for it afaik

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You could get a raspberry pi. A lot cheaper than a desktop, though don't expect much out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

Mr. G wrote: »
    You could get a raspberry pi. A lot cheaper than a desktop, though don't expect much out of it.

well i think its unfair to say don't expect much as they are very good at what they do and have a lot of IO available to you.

but back to the original topic i think whet is the end goal of this device so we can all help you on what you need to get.

Advertisement