Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing at ITB

Options
  • 10-11-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

i'm sorry if this is a really weird question but i was an early school leaver, i left school at 15 without any qualifications and only just now completed my junior certificate this year in June ( I'm 21 now) and i have a chance to do the leaving certificate aswell but it's 2 years and im not sure if i have the commitment to do it for 2 years.
    i really want to do the Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Computing (i havnet really decided yet) but you obviously need the leaving certificate which is a pass in six subjects in the Leaving Certificate with two higher C3 grades and four ordinary D3 grades to include Mathematics and English or Irish but you can also get in being a FETAC graduat ( FETAC Level 5 or 6 awards is any full award in a course in a cognate area and including a distinction grade in at least 3 modules. This award must include Mathematics (C20139), Mathematics (5N1833), Mathematics for Computing (C20175) or Mathematics for Engineering (C20174).
    I'm really confused by this because ive never heard of FETAC before or where to begin to find out how to join a course to do this.
    I need some help on where do i apply to this and some advice on what you think i should do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

You should start by ringing the head of the computing department in the college and ask them about appropriate FETAC/PLC courses that might see you get a place and then follow it up by ringing the various FETAC/PLC colleges around and see how you go about applying for a course.

They'll point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

I would also recommend contacting the college:
    Leaving Certificate isn't the only way onto a course.
    You can do a level 5 PLC and then be accepted as a mature student so long as the level 5 PLC course is relevent to the subject you want to do... in this case computing.

I'd contact college ask what PLC courses filter into this course / would be acceptable.

Then find out where those PLC courses are / how long they take + ask the college how many spaces are guaranteed for PLC students seeking places. As spaces can be divided between CAO entries (ie.. leaving cert whipper snappers) and mature students ... aka yourself ;) So there could be a set amount spots on the course, also if you do the PLC, push yourself and do well, your grades/ you as a person are all part of the consideration process for entering the college course via that route so far as I heard from mature students.

My last nugget of personal advice is don't do a PLC ( they are usually 2 year plc's) that lets you skip first year of college... it puts a lot of pressure on yourself if you enter straight into second year.. ie new place... new system.. some stuff others have done that you haven't.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭micko4

plus in 2 years you will be 23 and can apply as a mature student ..you wont need any leaving cert or PLC.. altough wouldnt harm you to do a PLC this year and get in next year with a better idea.

Advertisement