Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

• 10-11-2013 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello there! Recently moved into a new house and we have a huge big back garden! I really want to grow my own vegetables and make use of the garden! Basically I haven't a clue on what to plant and when to plant it. So looking for any advice on where to start! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's a huge question to get quick answers to, but just to get you started:

How big is huge?
    What else do you want to use the garden for - does it have to accommodate children's play equipment?
    What is the condition of the soil? Keep an eye on it for a while to see does it get boggy anywhere. Has it been rolled over by heavy machinery? Is there likely to be any builder's rubbish buried near the house?
    Do you want to plant hedges or trees?
    Do you have a septic tank - you will probably want to leave direct access to it, just in case!
    Is it exposed - are you on high or exposed ground, or very near the sea?
    What kind of soil is it (acid/alkaline, stoney, clay, sandy)? What was it used for before the house was built?

Having sorted the basics, don't think in terms of using the whole area for veg - unless you want to put it all under spuds for the first year, which was the traditional way of sorting ground for a garden. You would be better to clear a small area and start modestly till you get an idea of what you are doing.

Ask for a veg growing book and some good tools for Christmas!

Advertisement