Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your glory moment?

• 10-11-2013 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭

Be it for your club side, in the playground in school, what is your own personal glory moment in football?.

For me, a ten yard volley when I was around 12.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

U10 player of the year. All downhill from there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Funnily enough mine was a loss ...

Back in Belgium we played in a national schools competition, got to the national knockout quarters but got beat(on pens - where the walk over amy other team they played) by the eventual winners(they had several age appropriate national team players)...

Gutting thing was that the winners went on a 2 week training camp to the campions league winners of the time .... Marseille :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Taking out our English teacher in a Pupils Vs Teachers match in secondary school....I had no intention of getting the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Winning a 5-a-side tournament in school during sports day. Our team played the worst, dour, most turgid football imaginable. It's was like Stoke on steroids, 4 in our own half and kick it long to the tall lad to see what he could do.

We won the first two round on pens after grinding out two 0-0's. Come the final we scored from the kick off and defended again for our lives. Ended up scoring again on a counter attack to become the "best" team in the school. 5 lads won that day but football certainly did not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Taking out a sixth year's knee in the Teachers v Sixth years match last year.

Absolutely no intention of going for the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I was the pudgy kid in school. I was always last picked at lunch time, always ignored.

One day though....one day I scored a hat-trick.

First was a fluke. Just kind of hit off me. Second one, I just stuck my foot out and deflected it in.

But the third...the other team were all pushing up the field, and I....well, I was pudgy, remember, so screw running back to defend. Sat up near the other goalkeeper, along with a defender. Ball gets booted up and lands in front of me, so I've got the defender to get round. A big thick brute of a guy, twice my size, and had already busted me open once that year already.

But today, I was Beckham. I was Giggs. I was unstoppable. Kicked the ball through his legs, he was too flabbergasted to move. Ran to the keeper and dinked it past him.

One of the best days of my life.

(*looking back, it could be possible the "brute" was kind enough to let me get past him and score, but that's not the version I want to remember :P*)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Scoring my only ever goal in the roscommon reserve league and setting up two others before getting nearly choked out for a late tackle... it was so late there was snow on the pitch but I had my fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

An U14 game in which i was up front, my Dad was winding me up over going 4 without a goal so i struck a deal with him that put me on a 5er a goal for that game. Out i came and scored 4, well pleased and raked in the cash....ran over to him after each goal to rub it in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Saving a penalty in a school game when I was about 10, got so emotional that I cried, tried to make out I hit my head on a post, I did not.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Last proper game I played, as a ringer for a factory team :o, scored outside of the right foot direct from a corner. Had been practising for years without trying it in anger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I scored the only goal of our first victory as a team. A team I had set up!

Although I've been doing the youth cert and am the only female on the course. I don't think they expected me to go in amongst them in the games but I did. Now the lads keep referring to me as Iniesta coz I was out playing them in midfield. :o Although I went up front yesterday and scored three. One was a spin off the defender to get in behind and the second one was a drilled low cross that I scored in one touch. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Running on to a through ball with no idea where the ball was, it hit my heel and miraculously lifted over me and the centre half's head I kept going and beat the keeper with a side footed shot. For some reason the lads thought I meant it and were all like "what a goal!" but it was a total fluke. A glorious fluke. I was delighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Made my debut for my local u16 side , I was 14 and a regular at under 15 but I saw this a big step up.

Anyway I was put on as a LB a tricky winger kicked the ball ahead and we both sprinted for it , I was just ahead but could feel him breathing down my neck , I get to the ball and without even thinking I back heel it , it goes pass opposition winger onto our winger which set up a counter attack which we scored from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Last minute double penalty save in a school tournament. Never hit those heights again. (Some good matches but that was the only important one :pac: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Winning the league (under 14) after losing our first games 13-0 an 21-0, and drawing our third game 0-0, and winning the league on the final day of the season by beating the team that beat us by 21 goals, 3-1. The two goal win finally bringing our goal difference back out of negative figures to 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Winning a 5-a-side tournament in school during sports day. Our team played the worst, dour, most turgid football imaginable. It's was like Stoke on steroids, 4 in our own half and kick it long to the tall lad to see what he could do.

We won the first two round on pens after grinding out two 0-0's. Come the final we scored from the kick off and defended again for our lives. Ended up scoring again on a counter attack to become the "best" team in the school. 5 lads won that day but football certainly did not.

Mine was similar.

Our teams were split by what Maths class you were in. Well ours was. Everyone else joined up. One team was full of county players. I was captain of the nerds - the Honours maths class. None of them were able to kick a ball properly.

I played in defence/midfield. We slogged a win in the first, fluked a win in the second and the final went to penalties. I scored one and we won the whole thing. It was the greatest underdog story ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think I was 6 or 7 and there was a friendly match against the year above the team I had been training with down the local field and I was allowed to play despite not being old enough for the team. The ball came to me on the edge of the box and as I slipped I caught the ball and it flew into the top corner from the edge of the box. I ran off and celebrated like Alan Shearer with the two arms up like I must have seen on MotD the previous weekend. We lost 7-1 :P

My career past that was pretty much exclusively in goals and though I was pretty decent for a good while until my eyes betrayed me, this is the memory that still rings through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

7 goals after a heavy night out and about 4 hours sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Mine was captaining my country to the 1970 world cup. we were quite a good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

I posted this before.

I was called for trials for the county team when I was u-14. I was a centre back. I robbed the ball from the opposition and surged through midfield, dropped my shoulder like Beardsley past one then smashed it into the top corner from 25 yards. Keeper at full stretch and everything. Ran away shouting "I must be in the team!"...

.... didn't get in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Finished 3rd in the U-10s league in Wexford, probably Division 3 or so. Was delighted with that, my only decent season in my whole life. Got quite a nice medal which I probably still have somewhere, a lot nicer than the usual rubbish ones you get for just playing a season.

Scoring 36 legitimate goals in one school day is a close second, never usually got more than 5 or 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Scoring a panenka penalty in the penalty shootout competition at a sports day. Scored a chip in the garden on my older brothers friend too, quite impressive considering I was 8 years younger than him at the time(I was 6). Got banned from competing in PE then in secondary school after I broke a guys nose with an elbow or it could of been for saying to the teacher that basketball is for fags and dykes :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I was subbed on as a striker for the last 5 minutes of a school U14/15 game which we were losing 2-0. I came on just before a corner (for us) was taken. Ball was floated in, headed out by a defender, was going over my head so I let fly with a bicycle kick that crashed in to the top corner, over the head of the defender standing on the post. We lost the game 2-1 but I was a hero that day.

My other one was when my U16 team were playing against Park Villa from Navan in the quarter finals of some cup competition. The game ended 3-3 with me scoring all three goals for my team (the striker for PV also scored a hatrick). Anyway, the game went into extra time and I scored the winner with a flukey enough header. It was my first ever headed goal so it was pretty special. I had a really cringy (and scummy looking) hair cut at the time too which was spikes that looked like spider legs. The following week, there was a write up in the local newspaper with the heading "Spiderman catches Villa in his web' :D Mam kept a cutting from the newspaper, which she keeps at home somewhere

I scored a hat-trick in an U-8 match. Got player of the year that year as well despite being a centre back :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

many years ago in school , scored the only goal in a competive u16s quarters , we got hammered in semi.

ps it was only a tap in , but I was never known for my goal scoring abilities, many years later any goal i got in league soccer was a rarity - but always very enjoyable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Mine was only 3 weeks. A few friends set up a football team, so we're playing on a Saturday, lowest league of the low. Top goal scorer myself for the team but we're losing games left right and centre. So I'm half injured, told the manager to stick me as a sub as my foot was sore. We go 1-0 down after dominating. HT comes and we get back 1-1, last 15 mins I came on and scored with my first touch. We ended up winning our first game! Since than tho we lost 2 on the bounce:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Indoor soccer.
    Goalie hoofed the ball miles in the air. Met it with a volley at the half way line and it screamed into the top corner,
    Was aiming for a teacher behind the goal :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

We were 3-0 up in an u-13s cup game, when the coach substitutes me for his own young fella at right back, with 30 mins remaining
    We drew 3-3 with all the goals coming from his side.
    Somehow, I got the blame for this and was dropped for the replay, which we lost by 2 or 3. Again all from his side.
    Training, the following week and the coach blamed ME for the defeat!
    Got up, told him what I thought of him, his coaching and his kid(remember, I was 12) and walked out the door.
    One of the other coaches starting applauding me as I left, which started the whole team cheering and shouting.
    Felt 10 feet tall walking out the door( which was just as well, cos in my outrage, I forgot that the coach was my lift and I had to walk 4 miles home)and never back.
    Have another (sillier) story, but it'll keep for another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

sadlier-caption-503x500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Played a good bit of Saturday and Sunday morning football in England last year. Two highlights stick out.

Scoring a glancing, diving header from just inside the box, apparently it was an unbelievable goal, I didn't see it though cos I was face down in a huge pile of muck!

Pulling off the perfect Bergkamp V Newcastle turn completely accidentally. On a rock hard pitch ball was passed into me, it took a bounce just before it got to me and I just touched it over and around the man instead of trapping it like I had tried to. Fortunately the defender was even more confused than me, and I got around him and scored.

The glory days!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

In sixth class, and I was also one of those lads at the bottom of the pecking order when teams were being picked. Only right I suppose, I was rubbish. However one day we were having our usual lunchtime match and got to use a set of posts instead of our jackets. This free-kick gets launched down the pitch and sails towards me. I absolutely sh1t myself, it seems too low to head and too high to try volley. So I do some kind of ridiculous sideways scissors kick and low and behold, as I'm lying on the ground I see it sail over the keeper and into the top-right corner. Wouldn't have done it if I'd tried it 1,000 times again after. I remember our principal was on yard duty that day and was walking by and she caught sight of it and congratulated me afterwards, felt like a swat. That was the high point of my school yard footie career..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

I was a shíte enough keeper. Playing the best team in the league in the U-16s and they get a penalty. One of the lads comes up to me and goes "he's been shooting to your right all day. That's where he's going". Ready to dive that way and with nothing else in my mind, I saved the penalty. My god, I never felt such a rush. In reality, it was a very poor penalty, but I still saved it!

My first year of football I was on the Letterkenny U-12 team and I can't remember who we were playing, Buncrana maybe. I had a decent game, we lost 3-1 or 4-1 or something but the wind was crazy. Anywho, at the end of the game, the assistant manager roars the head off the team. Then says something - which only 2 weeks ago - really struck me: "The only good players for us out there were the goalkeeper, and Ciara Grant".
    That's right, opening goalscorer in the Women's FAI Cup Final, Ciara Grant. She played with the lads at that stage cos she was unreal then too. Irish international footballer on the same level as me at under 12s level, in one game... Who'd have thought it, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Managed to pull this off:

Definitely my proudest moment. Was only 7 a side on a smaller pitch but I'll never forget it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭baldshin

Scoring from my own half in a school match, thanks to a ridiculously light ball, ridiculously windy day and ridiculously short keeper in full size goals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The summer 'street leagues' when I was around 15-16 at the height of my god-like powers. Playing the best football of my life. It was an unofficial tournament organised each summer by our soccer club for a bit of the ould community spirit.

I was destroying every team we played on my own. Central midfield, controlling the pace of games, making runs into the box, reading the game like a pro. Before one of the evenings matches I heard a couple of young lads talking they were like 'he's <insert name>. he's class'.

Now the reality: The teams were mixed up from almost all age groups and I happened to be the cut-off age. So it was 7-a-side playing against kids all younger than me. I think right down as young as 7 or 8.

Hah no mercy I didn't feel bad about rounding 8 year olds and even the odd 10 year old girl I was expressing myself for the first time on the pitch! Poor kid in nets I was just rocketing the ball at him he didn't stand a chance because the ball was about a 1/4 his weight hah

So proud...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Scoring a looping header in the UCD cages, time stood still.

5%20a%20side%20cages.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

A few weeks into first year in college there was a 6 a side tournament which also was designed as a mini trial for the college freshers team. Myself and my friend joined some random team for it and we'd never really played club football before that. We went on to win 2 matches and got hammered 5-1 by the college senior team but i scored 3 goals in the tournament, all fairly nice goals. My first bounced off my foot and i volleyed it over the keeper. The second was kind of a fluke as i outside of the foot chipped the keeper as i was falling but i only swung a leg at it really. And the 3rd was in the game against the seniors and the ball rolled across me and i hit it first time into the bottom corner from a nice bit out. One of the foreign guys on the seniors comes over to me and shakes my hand and says, "nice!"

Didn't expect to get on the team because of it and surely enough i didn't but my friend did and he made the team as backup keeper, despite his 5 foot 7 height :p

My most embarrasing moment was running backwards to defend a counter attack in an under 13s school game and tripping over a hole......luckily only a few people saw it :o (and we won 10-1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Beating Man City's schoolboy side 1-0. Sure, this may have been achieved instructing from the sideline but when you were never blessed with much (any) talent as a kid, you make the most of them same moments as an adult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I was 10 playing an U14s match. I was brought on as a sub to play CM and stop this lad who was about twice my width and a good foot taller than me (and I was tall for my age!), two f*cking earrings, the lot.

The ball went out for a throw in, so everyone was fairly bunched towards one side of the pitch when I ran on....... he was so much bigger than me, than the opposition starting laughing at the size of me next to him. I vaguely remember one of them saying something like "ha, don't eat him" or something.

My instructions were to stick to him like a glue and I was so busy trying to stick close to him that I barely got a few kicks. It remained at 1-1 until about 5 mins to go, the ball broke to me outside the box, perfect for a half volley. Top right hand corner and their keeper just looked at it.

I can just remember thinking "still funny lads?"

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

the 2 6th classes in my school where playing each other. i barely made the starting XI for my class. they put me at left back. scored a 30 yarder after 5 minutes! complete luck :p was a bit of a rape though as my class had future ireland under 21 players and the like. we won 8 - 1 or something

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Won a pub league in Paris playing for a British ex-pat team.

Third in a soccer blitz in Winterthur with 96 teams in it, when I was living there. Our team was called Der Raucherlobby (smoking room) because we were all smokers, after the group stages we happened to be drawn against a team called "Sport ohne Zigaretten" (sports without cigarettes) and thrashed them 4-0.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

This aint a good story but.....

My primary school held a tournament in aid of a young chap who died. All the schools nominated a team from their 6th class to play, as my school was the largest we had two teams, The A and B teams and I proudly made the B team.

I ended up scoring 4 goals in 3 games and got to the semi-final (The A team were in the other semi's). Bad news was that our principle didn't think it would look right to have two teams from the same school in the final so he dropped me and 2 or 3 other players from our B team so we'd lose the semi.

It is said that the Principle lost his job after he publicly supported a paedo teacher but I'd like to think that it was the injustice of dropping me and my mates.

W@nker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Winning the league (under 14) after losing our first games 13-0 an 21-0, and drawing our third game 0-0, and winning the league on the final day of the season by beating the team that beat us by 21 goals, 3-1. The two goal win finally bringing our goal difference back out of negative figures to 0.

Disney should buy the rights to that one. I doubt if any other team lost 13-0 then 21-0 and gone on to win their league. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I hope i can explain this properly.

We were playing a senior schools soccer match and a move that we had practiced during a lunchtime game came off when it mattered.

The idea was for one of the midfielders to lob a pass to the edge of the box where i would run towards the ball dragging one of the CB'd with me, then i would flick the ball over our heads but still give the other striker a chance of getting the ball.

When the ball was played up to me, i planted my foot on the ground and raised my toes slightly off the surface, i then played the most perfect cushioned pass over my shoulder and over the CB's head. It landed a yard in front of our other striker and he went on and rounded the keeper and scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

4 touchdowns...

in 1 game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I remember scoring one of the penos in a shootout win to take us to the final. Would like to say I scored the winner but I really can't remember if I did or not. We were the C team and we got our B team in the final. Unfortunately, we lost 1-0.

I normally played as a right-back in that team but I remember one game in particular where I had to fill in in midfield. I put in a virtuoso performance and lead us to a 2-1 victory, scoring with a tap-in as well, even though I was in a kinda holding midfielder/deep playmaker role.

My proudest moment came when I was top scorer and Most Improved player in what was my last full season playing. It all came about because our club pretty much imploded. We lost loadsa good players and going into the final season, we didn't know if we'd have enough lads to make it to October. We made it all the way to the end. Despite having our squad decimated, we finished just outside the promotion play-offs. I was converted from a utility player to a forward and had a cracking run. Scored loads (ok, seven) and lead the line. Could play both as an out-and-out striker or as a target man. I went into every match sure I could win it for us. We had a very good season that year considering we nearly didn't have a team. In fact, the next year, that team went out of existence and I just stopped playing.

The even sourer point is I wasn't at the awards presentation to get my award 'cause I was on holiday or something. I did get the trophy in the end and still have it as a treasured possession.

Much later, I used to play football during the weeks with a few lads from school. Anyway, some of the youths from Wanderers would show up at times and Shane O'Neill was around a lot. I remember he'd destroy all of us and he wasn't even concentrating too hard or playing at his best. He just glided in and out and was trying all the tricks he could. Anyway, one night I remember I got stuck in a few one-on-ones with him and every time I came away with the ball. Was bragging about it to the lads at the next Wanderers match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Youth cup semi final, 2 goal hero against my old team. A new manager at the biggest schoolboy club in the city basically bullied me so much I gave up soccer for a year before being pursuaded back by a smaller club. I dragged my new side through the league & cup season (along with my CM partner who ended up with about 20 apps for Ireland all the way up to u21) & we won the league with some ease. Came up against my old club in the semi & their manager was mouthing off during the game calling me a quitter & a traitor. The minute he started I became like Roy Keane, I was everywhere that day! Scored a great goal from the edge of the box & with about 5 mins to go they were pushing for an equaliser & we caught them on the break & I finished off the counter attack. We lost the final but I didn't care, I was able to stick a nice middle finger up at my old manager & team. Ended up getting called for international trials with my CM partner, I played awful at them though & he was brilliant & he played u17s up to u21)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Scoring a hat-trick for the orange team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Once scored 52 goals in an U14 season :p

Scored in a few 'A' provincial finals for my school.

Ahhh the good days are gone!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Playing U-16's, we were a pretty sh*te B team, playing against St. Pats U-16's in some sort of tournament or non league game.
    We were being hockied, even thier keeper scored...maybe 2, one from open play, and one peno. The ball didn't make it into their half at all.
    I was a sub. While lingering on the touch line, I had heard that there was a scout from West Ham watching the game.
    Boom_Bap came on with a few minutes to go, I wasn't even given a position, it was more a case of try not let them score again.
    Picked up the ball in my half, stormed down the wing, was the only player from my team in their half, so had to go it alone. Breezed past a few players like they weren't there, cut inside, and it was just me one on one with the keeper, rounded the f*cker, open goal, my moment of glory. Went to roll the ball home, ball bounced up off the ground, sliced of my shin-guard and hit the side netting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement