Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your glory moment?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

A goal in a school lunch game on a basketball court. One of those games where it's first goal wins, and then a third team comes on to play the winner, with the losers having to wait their turn. Average game length about 2 minutes probably.

We started this game with about 10 mins of lunch left, nobody could score, the team waiting pi$$ed off back to class, but, unspoken, we knew we'd keep playing until there was a winner. I scored a header to win it. There was an agonising moment as it hit the top of the chain-link fence and dropped back on our side (if it had gone over the other side, it would have been classed as over the bar).

Well worth the bollicking from the teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

A diving header clearance off the line after my keeper got rounded and their striker had an open goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The one and only goal I scored, was playing U 10...couldn't do much wrong, the other team's goalkeeper threw the ball on my head, from where it went into the net :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I scored a hat-trick in an U-8 match. Got player of the year that year as well despite being a centre back :P

I won u-11 player of the year from right back. It was my first year playing and I was so eager to be everywhere. We were ****. Still an achievement for a right back to win POTY.

The year after I moved up front and haven't started as many games ever since. I might move back to right back some day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Scored a ridiculous free kick last year.

Up and over the wall, curling into top right hand corner. Hit the inside of the post and in. Couldn't have been more top corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I scored a ludicrous back heeled volley once.

The ball was played in behind my leg, I just flicked my heel up and caught it perfectly. It looped into the top corner over the goalie.

I hardly ever scored, I could have tried to recreate it a thousand times and it wouldn't have happened again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Got picked for an U-16 scouting camp for Leeds back in the day. Never got picked for a trial. Career over there and then!!

Best memory is when i scored a goal in a game from about 40 yards out, right into the top corner...still remember it to this day. Ball was cleared from the box, rolling to me miles out, people runinng out clearing the area, i just put the head down and hit it. Flew past everyone heading out and into the top corner, keeper didnt even see it!! Everyone was like "who the f*ck hit that?!"..there's me running off back to my right back position with my hand in the air, not knowing how to celebrate it properly!! Should have been going mental...i didnt know what to do !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I remember playing soccer with the older lads one school break. Filling in the numbers kind of job. Ball was crossed to the back post where I flicked it into the top corner. Ran around the court celebrating like a mad man, only to find out that I had actually missed and everyone was pointing laughing at me. It was easier to score than miss.

And I never played football again*

*not actually true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

It's a corner, back to goal, edge of the 18yr box, cross comes over, I leap, bicycle kick, connect perfectly, ball hits the underside of the bar and goes in as I land in a heap on ground, I jump up - run off celebrating. Everybody stunned .....

.... it's a training session. Everybody knows I'll never do that again ....................... and I dont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

First touch in league football (u16). half volley from just outside the box into the near top corner.

Did nothing for the rest of the game except run down blind alleys and it remains my only ever start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Set the scene for a moment. It was the last day of the Wicklow Schoolboys U15 Division 2 League. Sanity_Saviour's team were 1 point behind Avonmore in a title race that had gone to the proverbial wire. If there was ever a time for a hero to step up to the plate, his time was nigh.

Sanity_Saviour is a 14 year old centre back .Time's almost up. His B team is up 3-2 against Avonmore in an absolutely bruising encounter which had it all: A questionable penalty, a seemingly impossible 35 yard volley and a ref who seemed like he just wanted to be on the back pages of the Wicklow People.

His man had been terrorising him all day with his blistering pace, but hadn't been given an inch of space all day. "Lightning" he was called.

In the throes of injury time there's a hopeful long ball over the top, the full backs are nowhere to be seen! The striker takes the ball down, outpaces his defender, rounds the keeper and slots the ball in and immediately turns to celebrate...

Or he would have, had Sanity Saviour not exerted every last iota of energy he had in his system, used all 4 foot 11 of his body and scooped it off the line for a corner. The corner is cleared, the whistle is blown, and we're champions.

I've never won a Champions League, but I imagine that is what it felt like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Set the scene:

0-0 in final game of the season, Westland Rovers had never been relegated......bunch of lads competing vs LSL teams using the old nightowls league for training, playing the team that needed to win to be champions. We needed to win to stay up.

Started with 9 men as we normally did, didnt know most of the players. Tipped off....gave them the ball ....sat back into break us down bitches mode. I was right wing/Fullback (9 men) and they had ****ing subs!!!!(tallaght Town was there LSL name)

We held out for 40 odd minutes ( 60 minute match ) ball came to me in RB position pretty much touching our corner flag. Skinned their LB and LW in one movement space opened up (still in my own half). our CF started running towards goal believing i could get him the ball. Pushed forward their CM clipped my ankle (****) got to halfway line staggering and dinked the ball towards the peno spot (beckhamesque). The kinda of cross the CF only has to be there and its a goal......our CF/AMF/CM ran on .....didnt need to jump......just needed to be there as the ball bounced off his head and went over the advancing keeper.

Boom 1-0 :D

held out for the rest of the match and stayed up......dunno who won the league but it wasnt them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

In a 5-a-side couple of years ago, me with back to goal, defender on my back, turned quickly and nutmegged him with a shot that went in.

He just kept saying, "Oh no, you didn't".

I was humble as always, but inside...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

When I was 16 I nutmegged a guy on the U-19 Ireland side still my best moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Playing in goals at school aged 11 or so. Managed to stop a shot that was heading into the bottom left corner but somebody then tried to tap it into the bottom right. The quickest thing I could think of was slide-tackling the ball (For lack of a better word) off the line. Everyone thought it was a great save and was amazed I'd gotten to it so quickly. Sadly my dreams of being the next Oliver Kahn never amounted to much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Scored from my own half on a full pitch under 15, their keeper kicked it out and it bounced right in front of me with their best player running at me so I hit it, all the other team joined in the pile up, great craic, we lost the game 8-1, lost the away game 10-0 and beat the same team in the cup final 3-1. Boooooom!

Also, after switching clubs two years ago, after playing with the same bunch of lads for 15 years. I got a lot of stick off lads from my former club saying they didn't need me, better off without me, I wouldn't win anything etc etc. Scored 5 goals on my debut and we got promoted. Take that ex-club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

My only honour in football: Winning the Wellington, NZ, Division 6 5-a-side league league. Got hammered in every game in division 5 though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

I scored back to back hat-tricks in my first real season as a striker 2011-2012 ,generally played CB or CM before that. Finished the season with 27 goals that season which had a Leinster shield semi final thrown in there too. We also got promoted too.

Did my knee in that summer 2012 playing Gaelic, had two surgeries and haven't played since. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Two free kicks in the local derby, always remember it. I played stupidly well. I'd just joined my Da's team after years playing with the first team in goal, and got sick of it and wanted to play outfield.

Was a big crowd for it and for alot of our games, was the best season of football I ever had.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/sport/soccer/swords-celtic-ace-oconnor-picks-his-27777009.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

About 2 years ago, I scored the winner in extra time to win my club their first ever trophy in a UCFL Shield Final.

Incredibly low level stuff but an amazing feeling all the same for a defender.

• Advertisement

That's right, opening goalscorer in the Women's FAI Cup Final, Ciara Grant. She played with the lads at that stage cos she was unreal then too. Irish international footballer on the same level as me at under 12s level, in one game... Who'd have thought it, eh?

We had a girl, Laura Traynor with us for a good few years. Not sure what she went onto, but she made absolute ****e for every defence she went up against, bagging 25+ goals every year. She had stupidly good movement and was just a devastating striker. I remember hearing loads about some strikers around DDSL for Home Farm, Kevins and River Valley, played them all, and none of them where a patch on her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

TheDoc wrote: »
    We had a girl, Laura Traynor with us for a good few years. Not sure what she went onto, but she made absolute ****e for every defence she went up against, bagging 25+ goals every year. She had stupidly good movement and was just a devastating striker. I remember hearing loads about some strikers around DDSL for Home Farm, Kevins and River Valley, played them all, and none of them where a patch on her.

She's playing with Shamrock Rovers in the Women's National League!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    She's playing with Shamrock Rovers in the Women's National League!

Good for her, easily one of the best players to come through the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You don't get the nickname Chopper by being particularly skillful at football, so when I hit the black painted square on the lamppost from Gow's garden they called it a fluke.

"Gimme the ball and I'll do it again." I says.

BOOM! Twice in a row.

I celebrated like Inzaghi after a tap in and retired the champ.

Advertisement