Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to pay the Electric Bill?

Options
  • 10-11-2013 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

So, myself and three other tenants moved into a private house for college. We did not sign any sort of contract.

When college finished, everyone moved out bar two of us, so we were left to pay the electric bills between the two of us (which was unreasonable considering we are students and literally living day by day regarding money).

The electric was in the landlords name, also we did not sign any contact.Are we obliged to pay this bill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

currychips wrote: »
    So, myself and three other tenants moved into a private house for college. We did not sign any sort of contract.

When college finished, everyone moved out bar two of us, so we were left to pay the electric bills between the two of us (which was unreasonable considering we are students and literally living day by day regarding money).

The electric was in the landlords name, also we did not sign any contact.Are we obliged to pay this bill?

If you used electricity why wouldn't you pay the bill?
    Why is the whole world trying to get away without paying for stuff these days!

Man up to your responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

No its fine; there is a clause in the RTA that states that if you dont feel like paying the electric bill then its quite alright to just ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

So you think the landlord should pay for your electricity?!?!

Go on then, explain why you think that this is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

djimi wrote: »
    No its fine; there is a clause in the RTA that states that if you dont feel like paying the electric bill then its quite alright to just ignore it.

Unfortunately I suspect in this instance that your sarcasm might be missed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Ethically yes, legally... probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Why do YOU think YOU shouldn't pay for the leccie that YOU used? Welcome to the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭currychips

Legally? Because apparently he is getting us a summons by the district court, which is kind of freaking me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Ask yourself this.

If you walk away from YOUR electric bill and make the landlord pay it will you feel like you have done the right thing? Would your parents be proud of you for doing it? Finally would you like to have this happen to you?

If you answer yes to any of the above questions then you're wasting your time even starting this thread because you will do a runner without paying no matter what advise you get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Legally? Because apparently he is getting us a summons by the district court, which is kind of freaking me out.

So you already haven't paid this for sometime! What an utter disgrace, a person gives you a home to live in and you can't pay what's owed.
    Regardless who's name it is in you pay what's due and be straight with the world.
    Why should the landlord pay for a bill you and your pals amassed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Why were you not paying the bill all along? Why was it allowed get to the stage where a court has to get involved?

• Advertisement

That sounds like him bull$hiting you tbh, smile and ask him to quote the exact grounds.

There are some very angry birdies on this!! I'm just a student, asking a question, I thought this was what boards was about ??

I know the bill should be paid by me, yes. But even with two jobs, and a grant, I still have no money. So what do you want me to do? Im not a magician!! We paid everything up to date and on time throughout the year, and the electric was the only thing left, which we couldn't afford, obviously and I feel bad enough as it is!!

But we helped the landlord out a lot, I actually viewed the house to other people for the landlord, a number of times, because he was busy! LEGALLY, can he issue me with a district court summons?

How big a bill are we talking about?

200 e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

There are some very angry birdies on this!! I'm just a student, asking a question, I thought this was what boards was about ??

I know the bill should be paid by me, yes. But even with two jobs, and a grant, I still have no money. So what do you want me to do? Im not a magician!! We paid everything up to date and on time throughout the year, and the electric was the only thing left, which we couldn't afford, obviously and I feel bad enough as it is!!

But we helped the landlord out a lot, I actually viewed the house to other people for the landlord, a number of times, because he was busy! LEGALLY, can he issue me with a district court summons?

Oh boo ****ing hoo dont play the poor student card and pay your ****ing bill. If you dont have the money you GET the money you ask friend's or family for a loan, you go without luxuries like beer, cigarettes, or any other unnecessary things until your bill is paid.

200 e

It will cost him more than that to take you to court, my money is that its a bluff.

YMMV

Oh yeah - you literally have no money at all. Who are you sponging the internet connection and laptop/phone/whatever to go online and ask how can you squirm out if paying for what you've used?

Grow up and pay for what you owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Legally he can pursue you for theft, possibly even fraud. You consumed the utility & didn't pay for it, ergo, you stole it. Even if you didn't sign a contract, the opposite argument would apply that you don't have a contract to state that he'd pay it.

If he does pursue you & I get the feeling that the sum involved is in the hundreds if not more, you could end up with a conviction which will prevent you ever from visiting the US & AUS, should you wish to. It could also seriously hamper your future career choices.

Borrow the money off your parents (or at least your share of it) & don't be an idiot. Walk away from it with your head held high & a lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Two jobs and a grant, and you can't afford to pay your utility bills? Where are you squandering all of your money? It's totally unfair to do a runner from this bill. Spend as little as you can and save as much as you can until you pay it off... Just because you can't afford the bill doesn't mean the landlord can.. Get a loan from your parents to pay it and them pay them back over time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Somewhere down the line you'll need a referance for a new place from a previous landlord or to get a bill in your name. Sh!t like this ain't gonna make it easy for you.

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    Legally he can pursue you for theft, possibly even fraud. You consumed the utility & didn't pay for it, ergo, you stole it. Even if you didn't sign a contract, the opposite argument would apply that you don't have a contract to state that he'd pay it.

If he does pursue you & I get the feeling that the sum involved is in the hundreds if not more, you could end up with a conviction which will prevent you ever from visiting the US & AUS, should you wish to. It could also seriously hamper your future career choices.

Borrow the money off your parents (or at least your share of it) & don't be an idiot. Walk away from it with your head held high & a lesson learned.

Its 200 euro, the day in court will cost the landlord more than that in fees.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Man up and pay the bill. Text your old housemates and get them to forward their share.

Would you call it fair if your grant was stopped?

I'm guessing your not a student? Your probably a snob actually, who cant even answer my original question. Doesn't really say much about you! And not that its any of your business but, I don't smoke, going out and "drinking" usually happens once every 2 months for me, because I haven't the time! My family refuse to help me with income, which is right, because it teaches me to grow up, unlike some.

Thanks for everyone who did actually help me out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

@ChRoMe: Do the tenants have it in writing that the electricity is included in their rent?

If it's not explicitly stated that the utilities are included, then the user pays.

Even if it would cost more to pursue it, as a matter of principle (if it was me as the landlord), I'd do it because he'd get costs awarded also & that's when the amount would really shoot up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Man up and pay the bill. Text your old housemates and get them to forward their share.

Would you call it fair if your grant was stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

What are you doing with the money from 2 jobs and a grant that you can't pay for your leccie? Forget the beer for a few weeks and be a MAN.

OU812 wrote: »

If it's not explicitly stated that the utilities are included, then the user pays.

What are you basing that on?

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Its 200 euro, the day in court will cost the landlord more than that in fees.

Not if s/he represents themselves. Although hopefully the landlord will learn a lesson from this and insist on tenants putting utilities into their own names. Although you can still get caught out for reconnection fees if the power is turned off for non payment and they do a legger.

jjpep wrote: »
    Not if s/he represents themselves. Although hopefully the landlord will learn a lesson from this and insist on tenants putting utilities into their own names. Although you can still get caught out for reconnection fees if the power is turned off for non payment and they do a legger.

Summons still needs to be prepared by a solicitor, so even if they represent themselves on the day they are still coming up short.

However if costs are awarded then it may balance out, frankly all this over 200 is a bit nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

Chill out people .... what's with all the judgement. Take a breath before you respond. Obviously, the OP wasn't perfect but they are trying to figure a solution out. They didnt drown a baby or something.

Advertisement