Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to pay the Electric Bill?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

currychips wrote: »
    I'm guessing your not a student? Your probably a snob actually, who cant even answer my original question. Doesn't really say much about you! And not that its any of your business but, I don't smoke, going out and "drinking" usually happens once every 2 months for me, because I haven't the time! My family refuse to help me with income, which is right, because it teaches me to grow up, unlike some.

Thanks for everyone who did actually help me out :)

A fine job they are doing now that you are trying to avoid paying your bill I bet they will be extra proud of you. Fwy you're not the first person to ever go to college and have bills so don't play the "you don't know what it's like" card :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Im guessing its €200 each rather than in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I'm guessing your not a student? Your probably a snob actually, who cant even answer my original question. Doesn't really say much about you! And not that its any of your business but, I don't smoke, going out and "drinking" usually happens once every 2 months for me, because I haven't the time! My family refuse to help me with income, which is right, because it teaches me to grow up, unlike some.

Someone's a snob for saying you should pay your way. your a real outstanding person.

I'm just finished college and managed all my bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Ie! My family refuse to help me with income, which is right, because it teaches me to grow up, unlike some.

I'm going to call their effort to teach you to grow up a fail, based on what your telling us about yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

djimi wrote: »

Exactly. Think there is more to this as well though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

djimi wrote: »

I asked for the bill total and OP responded with 200....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

jjpep please refrain from name calling in this forum, I have deleted your offending post.

Reminder to all posters to remain civil to each other

cali_eire wrote: »
    Chill out people .... what's with all the judgement. Take a breath before you respond. Obviously, the OP wasn't perfect but they are trying to figure a solution out. They didnt drown a baby or something.

The solution op is trying to figure out is how he can get away with not paying his bill!

bumper234 wrote: »
    The solution op is trying to figure out is how he can get away with not paying his bill!

Not quite, the OP is trying to figure out who is actually legally responsible to the utility provider, and thats the name on the bill.

Chill out people .... what's with all the judgement. Take a breath before you respond. Obviously, the OP wasn't perfect but they are trying to figure a solution out. They didnt drown a baby or something.

Solution is simple, pay for what's used. The judgement is coming from the 'I know I should pay but I don't wanna' tone from the op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

OP, if as you claim you don't smoke, rarely go out where does all this money you have go? I've been to college three times, the last two times when I had a mortgage and still managed to pay my mortgage each month along with the associated bills. Actually the last college was abroad so had to pay mortgage and rent abroad so don't say that none of us know what your going through.

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Not quite, the OP is trying to figure out who is actually legally responsible to the utility provider, and thats the name on the bill.

Well maybe s/he should go ask a solicter. Although they would probably want paying....

jjpep wrote: »
    Well maybe s/he should go ask a solicter. Although they would probably want paying....

You don't need a solicitor to answer that one.

PFffffft so op shouldn't pay for the electricity that he has used because of technicalities.

PFffffft so op shouldn't pay for the electricity that he has used because of technicalities.

There are two distinct issues here, the legal and the ethical.

I'm discussing the legal, I have no interest in making ethical judgments of other posters on this thread.

You don't need a solicitor to answer that one.

True, perhaps just someone with experience of squirming out of paying what they should might be able to help the OP.

I'm discussing the legal, I have no interest in making ethical judgments of other posters on this thread.

I'm discussing the ethical, I have no interest in making legal judgements of other posters on this thread.

True, perhaps just someone with experience of squirming out of paying what they should might be able to help the OP.

LOL :D

Nah, just people with basic reading comprehension.

I'm discussing the ethical, I have no interest in making legal judgements of other posters on this thread.

Then you are by definition off topic.

Happens regularly to people with poor reading comprehension ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

What are you basing that on?

It's why a bill addressed to "The Tenant/Occupier/Householder" is legally enforceable.

Also studying something similar right now, it's the difference between implicit & explicit.

Implicit is not enforceable by law, so I could imply that I'm including the utilities, but there's no comeback from the tenant on that (I can pass the charge to them without comeback), but if I Explicitly state (put it in writing), there's bugger all I can do. Unless they have an explicit contract, they're responsible.

All the landlord has to do is supply their names to ESB networks & the charge (including additional fees such as disconnection/reconnection will follow them. Next time they rent a place or buy a place (re-appear "on the grid"), the charge will be applied.

• Advertisement

LOL :D

Nah, just people with basic reading comprehension.

That's sounds like a personal attack on the OP to me. As a student I'm sure she/he has basic reading comprehension skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

I almost get the feeling that some people are here for a point scoring exercise rather than to help anyone figure out an actual solution. The sad thing about these harsh responses is that they will discourage other people from seeking advice here for fear of a moral lashing also. I am sure many of you would have handled the situation better than the OP and that's admirable but lets try to not make treads like this about putting people down.

OU812 wrote: »
    It's why a bill addressed to "The Tenant/Occupier/Householder" is legally enforceable.

Also studying something similar right now, it's the difference between implicit & explicit.

Implicit is not enforceable by law, so I could imply that I'm including the utilities, but there's no comeback from the tenant on that (I can pass the charge to them without comeback), but if I Explicitly state (put it in writing), there's bugger all I can do. Unless they have an explicit contract, they're responsible.

All the landlord has to do is supply their names to ESB networks & the charge (including additional fees such as disconnection/reconnection will follow them. Next time they rent a place or buy a place (re-appear "on the grid"), the charge will be applied.

Thats the whole point though, its addressed to the landlord....

Well from all the information supplied, this is not an usual situation (landlord's name on bills)

You appear to be basing your statement on what feels right to you, rather than some sort of supporting evidence.

That's sounds like a personal attack on the OP to me. As a student I'm sure she/he has basic reading comprehension skills.

Simply a general observation.

I almost get the feeling that some people are here for a point scoring exercise rather than to help anyone figure out an actual solution. The sad thing about these harsh responses is that they will discourage other people from seeking advice here for fear of a moral lashing also. I am sure many of you would have handled the situation better than the OP and that's admirable but lets try to not make treads like this about putting people down.

The solution is straightforward, the OP should pay.

Maybe this should be moved over to the legal forum then see how the boards legal eagles feel about ops non payment excuses.

Maybe this should be moved over to the legal forum then see how the boards legal eagles feel about ops non payment excuses.

Well, I'd hope they would concentrate on the legal aspects....

Not a bad idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Maybe we may have been harsh, but he seems to have no want to pay the bill just weasel out of it.
    That really gets on my nerves. Op just pay the bill for God's sake, it's your responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Thats the whole point though, its addressed to the landlord....

We don't know that
    Well from all the information supplied, this is not an usual situation (landlord's name on bills)

Usual or unusual ?
    You appear to be basing your statement on what feels right to you, rather than some sort of supporting evidence.

Nope, basing it on current studies. Have also worked in utilities industry for several years. Trust me on this, if the landlord passes on their names, they won't get away with it at all. It could be ten years down the line, but they will end up paying the bill (+ additional charges).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Can't you get a sub from Mum & Dad?? How many of you are to split the bill?

Doesn't matter that you conducted viewings for the landlord. My sweet - That doesn't pay the leccy bill!! You knew the leccy had to be paid. Why didn't you set aside money for it?

Advertisement