Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie Kite-Surfer with some quessies

• 10-11-2013 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, Great forum here btw! & Welcome aledoux :)

As an absolute newbie to Kite-Surfing, what can you tell me about the Sport please?
    Namely,
    ~ what safety measures should someone consider / take on board on first try
    ~ should it be tackled by oneself or with others
    ~ would people have to be great swimmers to try this sport
    ~ any tips or suggestions for locations etc

It just looks surreal and something I've to wait until next year to try first-hand, but any & all advice welcome :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 beedaly

Hey Kerry4sam,

It is essential that you get lessons check IKSA.ie for your nearest location. It is an extreme sport but is safe as long as you have had lessons and adhere to the safety rules you are taught. Group lessons are probably more affordable plus its a great laugh seeing everyone try to control the kite on there fist body drags, but you will progress quicker with private lessons. As with any water sport being a strong swimmer would give you piece of mind if things go bad, but you can wear a floatation jacket if you are not comfortable. It is an amazing sport and well worth getting into !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Ah beedaly Thanks for your reply.

Yeah the notion of it being an Extreme Sport is kinda attractive to me :o As I said above though it will be next year before I can look at anything remoting taxing like even walking a few miles (fracture in my lower back and trying to chose Surgeon at the mo before I can even begin treatment).

The lads in the photography forum have posted some incredible images, I just cannot wait to get out there :D

Yeah some lessons would be the right way to go about it & Thanks for the linkie you provided.

Anything else you would like to share, feel free to do do.

Thanks again & looking forward,
    kerry4sam

Definitely get lessons. Kitesurfing kites generate huge power and you would most likely get hurt, badly injured or worse trying to teach yourself. It's a technical sport and you need to be shown how to do it safely.

Lessons are generally 4 x 3 hours and cost about 380/390 euros for the 12 hours. All equipment provided. After your lessons you can look into buying gear and practicing as you won't have the hang of it fully yet. Second-hand gear can be fine but get someone who knows about gear to point you in the right direction. Anything older than 2007/8 stuff may not have great safety features. Better to buy stuff that's no more than a few years old.

As above, an amazing sport to get into and is brilliant for going on holidays abroad too as there are many places around the world to do it in. And of course you can do it in Ireland a lot of the time, more so on the west coast due to the prevailing wind direction.

If you're in Dublin the main schools are

http://puremagic.ie/dublin/kitesurfing-lessons/

http://www.kiteessence.ie/

Thanks again beedaly, Hope you're enjoying your time on boards.ie! :)
    glasso wrote: »
    Definitely get lessons. Kitesurfing kites generate huge power and you would most likely get hurt, badly injured or worse trying to teach yourself. It's a technical sport and you need to be shown how to do it safely.

Lessons are generally 4 x 3 hours and cost about 380/390 euros for the 12 hours. All equipment provided. After your lessons you can look into buying gear and practicing as you won't have the hang of it fully yet. Second-hand gear can be fine but get someone who knows about gear to point you in the right direction. Anything older than 2007/8 stuff may not have great safety features. Better to buy stuff that's no more than a few years old.

As above, an amazing sport to get into and is brilliant for going on holidays abroad too as there are many places around the world to do it in. And of course you can do it in Ireland a lot of the time, more so on the west coast due to the prevailing wind direction.

If you're in Dublin the main schools are

http://puremagic.ie/dublin/kitesurfing-lessons/

http://www.kiteessence.ie/

Thanks glasso. Appreciate that reply and feedback. Lessons will definitely be had by me in the New Year, prob looking at March/April though, but that could be my b-day pressie for myself considering the cost.

Yeah it certainly looks amazing, great days fun I'd imagine! Can't wait for the New Year.
    Thanks for your linkies too :)
    kerry4sam

no worries. good luck with it. Here's a video for some inspiration to see what's possible....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Thanks again beedaly, Hope you're enjoying your time on boards.ie! :)

Thanks glasso. Appreciate that reply and feedback. Lessons will definitely be had by me in the New Year, prob looking at March/April though, but that could be my b-day pressie for myself considering the cost.

Yeah it certainly looks amazing, great days fun I'd imagine! Can't wait for the New Year.
    Thanks for your linkies too :)
    kerry4sam

If you are at home call to Graham @ Surfnsail (E&D Marine) for advice on good gear. He has it all- new, secondhand etc.. Decent crew operating in Kerry and you will always need a hand at the beach so dont be afraid to ask

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    If you are at home call to Graham @ Surfnsail (E&D Marine) for advice on good gear. He has it all- new, secondhand etc.. Decent crew operating in Kerry and you will always need a hand at the beach so dont be afraid to ask

Ah that's real sound of you, Thank You :) As I said above though, I'll be looking at Mar/Apr before I'd be able to take this on as a Newbie, but that is good to know though so

Thank You,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement