Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproofing new boots

Options
  • 10-11-2013 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

After experiencing a bit of disappointment with a pair of Meindl hunting boots which are splitting and cracking I decided to buy a new pair of boots.

So I've purchased a pair of new British army gortex lined boots for £30 on ebay, to experiment with.

proboots_zpsfb429ee9.jpg

I want to use them for shooting, they will be used to walk muddy wet fields and boggy glens and ****e in general.

I would like to know what the best way to protect the leather is.

is it dubbin,nik wax meindl boot wax or what?

Would you recommend soaking the boots letting them dry on your feet and then applying dubbin etc.

i'm not in any hurry to start wearing the boots so i don't mind taking my time to waterproof them properly, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Mac2010

I use NikWax Nubuck and Suede proof product for my meindl boots. so far so good.don't have much experience with other products:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Kiwi shoe polish works perfectly well on mine, guardsman gloss if you want a treat! :P ....

I've gone through a few pairs of these over the years and they're brilliant, no need to soak them or any of that messing about, just put 'em on an wear 'em about the place! They barely take any breaking in and they'll fit like a glove in no time.

I would recommend you get some good insoles in there though as the ones in them normally are rather pants.

Advertisement