Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Workplace problems

• 10-11-2013 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I need hypothetical advice because i am really unaware of the employee rights etc cos the government are constantly changing them

Say i have worked in the same business for six years. In those six years i have been a brilliant employee, hard working, liked by customers, obligating staff whenever im asked etc

In a 9 hour day, i get no break
    I am still on minimum wage
    I get nothing extra for sunday or bank holiday work
    I have never been given any form of contract to sign

I have witnessed my superior bullying customers from there jobs
    I have witnessed several customers leaving with there custom because of said superior
    I have twice reported this person to absolute no avail
    I am expected to come in for an hour on my days off sometimes to clean up after another staff member

What rights as an employee have i here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cashie88

Im well aware of what hypothetical means

My question is set out to be in a what if scenario, and no repeating of the latter is surely needed.

I trust you should be polite in nature as you are in name and avoid questions in which you cannot give a helpful or advisable answer.

Thanks to the first reply, your answer was very helpful and educational and im very grateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Sorry the text speak, failure to use complete words and completely missing the work and jobs forum is what threw me.

As regards your first questions you've been pointed in the right direction. Allow me to give you some practical advice of the latter half.

Having worked in customer facing roles for the better part of two decades, you are rarely, if ever, are going to take on a line manger successfully. If you have one in your sights you're likely going to have to report them to their line manager or HR, both of which in my experience will back up that person as far as they can. There are a number of reasons for this some good some not.

I would stick to what directly effects you, and you alone. I would also deal with my problems as quietly as possible unless you want to unionise your work place. You are much more likely to get your own issues resolved on a case by case basis than try and get wholesale change in a business.

Frankly I've found the best thing to do if you don't like the work environment is to move on if possible. Be aware though that most places will have asshat line managers, especially if you work in a sales/retail role.

Hypothetically of course and without providing legal advice which is precluded by the charter.

EDIT: Final piece of advice have a work phone and a non work phone - turn the work phone off on your days off. Alternatively screen your calls through voice mail. If you're looking for advice on legal action see my comment re legal advice and contact FLAC.

Anecdote Alert: A manager I knew had a bit of a ditz as a supervisor, rather than take her calls on his day off he used to screen them. One day through no-ones fault a door slammed shut and took most of the glass front of a shop with it, quite spectacular I'd imagine. Me as a manager would have been straight down there on my day off and sorted it out. Not this guy. The supervisor had a bit of a panic, eventually rang another store manager who told her to ring property - she did and property had a glazier out in a couple of hours. They also advised her on what to do from a H&S perspective.

Long story short she sorted out what was a fairly serious issue of her own accord as she had to and every time she called after that her manager would answer and say; is this more serious than the shop front caving in? No? then you can sort it. I think she's managing her own store now.

As regards days off tell them for feck off (hypothetically)

Advertisement