Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a gas oven - mains supply needed for igniters, timers, etc

Options
  • 10-11-2013 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have to install a new gas oven in our house. From looking at the options on the market all are sold with electrical igniters. There is nothing I've seen in the spec which states there is a battery alternative for the igniters.

We have a faceplate approx 1m away from the gas oven location at a height of approx 0.5m which currently only feeds into a tumble dryer (rarely used). Above the tumble dryer is an isolation switch for the tumble dryer. I was wondering if I could take a spur of this for the oven supply - so that both were fed off the one supply.

Is it okay to feed this over externally in conduit into the faceplate and then up to the switch?

I appreciate that if we decided in future to go for a mains powered cooker/oven that this setup would not be acceptable due to the power demands of the cooker and it would require upgrading to heavier cable.

Alternatively, is there any battery packs out there that can be used to power the igniters, etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

You can come off it but the oven must be fused to 3A while the TD will be at 13A

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Cheers. Is there a way I could put in an inline fuse into the feed down to the cooker or how do I separate these out at the switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Would it be possible to put a new socket beside the original socket and put a plug with your three amp fuse onto the cable coming off the oven.

Best option would be a double socket and 13a plug on the TD, the oven should come with a 3/5a fuse.

Might be possible but it is more work than we planned and if we go to that extent it might be time to put in heavier cabling down from the consumer unit and put in a full electric oven or at least a dual power oven.

We want to keep it as cheap as possible.

• Advertisement

Might be possible but it is more work than we planned and if we go to that extent it might be time to put in heavier cabling down from the consumer unit and put in a full electric oven or at least a dual power oven.

We want to keep it as cheap as possible.

Ah!! you are using the services of a RGI to fit this cooker i hope, if so the adition work adding a socket could easily be carried out by them at little cost.

Yes - we are getting someone in to install the oven as it needs a safety valve etc installed. However, getting the electric to power the thing is our problem.

Is there a way to power it via a battery pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

It wouldnt cost much or very long for someone to connect a new socket off the one you have and put it on a surface box it might not be very neat but if its hidden it wouldnt matter as long as its safe.

Is there a way to power it via a battery pack?

No, not with a timer, some without timers can be battery operated for the ignition

Advertisement